Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 07:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Today, I woke up with my right ear with that clogged feeling. It felt like, when water enters your ear while during a shower, you know that feeling!

Well, thing is, it wouldn't go away. I tried laying on that side, or bending over from the waist, like I do if water gets in the ear, but nothing really seemed to dislodge it.

I don OT have any pain or other sensations, just that clogged feeling, and some loss of hearing in that ear/ the right ear is fine. I've had a rather long-term sinusitis, about since early December. I cough a lot, although non-productive. I also have a lot of sinus discharge from my nose, both sides. its thick, yellow-greenish. Ive been to a doctor, who said oh, its not an infection, over-use of antibiotics could make it worse, yadda, yadda........however it doesn't seem to clear up.

I took som pseudaphed today, and lots of hot tea, but so far absolutely no change, no better, no worse. I hesitate to see a doctor again because its a waste of time and money, they simply won't do anything except prescribe PTC remedies

I wonder about using hydrogen peroxide, or warmed olive oil, or Deberox? I'm just hesitant to use anything like that. I read if you have a dry clump of ear wax, such treatments can seep around and behind the plug without dissolving it, thus being trapped behind the plug and causing worse problems.

I guess to wait for another day or two to see if it resolves on its own, otherwise, go waste my time and money with a doc again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Wash your hands thoroughly and when they're dry, stick your pinky in there and dig out the wax. If the pinky nail is long, cut it short to do this.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:14 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Never never stick anything into your ear smaller than your elbow doctors say. You can damage/injure your ear canal, or worse, lose hearing in the ear.
See an ENT Ear Nose Throat doctor if you have problems.

What You Need To Know About Ear Wax

never stick anything smaller than your elbow into your ear - earache earcare | Ask MetaFilter

Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
If the discharge is yellow/green, I always thought that meant an infection was present. Maybe a different doc?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Most likely a result of sinus pressure. There's a tube connecting the two. My ears pop like crazy when my allergies get bad. Use caution though, I accidentally rupured my eardrum last year blowing my nose. It was ridiculously painful, and my hearing was distorted for a month as it healed. Try an antihistamine and give it a few days to release and drain.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Well, it appears to be clearing up!

I've been taking pseudaphed, along with antihistamine. Also, doing the olive oil/peroxide thing!

I do the olive oil first, I heat it by putting the bottle in hot water---its a small bottle. Then, put about a small capful in my ear, and lay down on my side for ~ 15 min. Then, let the ear drain out. Then, put about a capful of peroxide in the ear, again, lay on that side for ~15 min. At first, nothing happened. then, I started feeling some movement, then, the ear felt less full. Today, my hearing is almost normal. I felt a few "pops" in my ear last night as well while in the shower.

I haven't had any real discharge from the ear, except a return of what I put in, but I do have a lot more nasal drainage, so, something is loosening up!

Old 01-22-2015, 04:47 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, it appears to be clearing up!

I've been taking pseudaphed, along with antihistamine. Also, doing the olive oil/peroxide thing!

I do the olive oil first, I heat it by putting the bottle in hot water---its a small bottle. Then, put about a small capful in my ear, and lay down on my side for ~ 15 min. Then, let the ear drain out. Then, put about a capful of peroxide in the ear, again, lay on that side for ~15 min. At first, nothing happened. then, I started feeling some movement, then, the ear felt less full. Today, my hearing is almost normal. I felt a few "pops" in my ear last night as well while in the shower.

I haven't had any real discharge from the ear, except a return of what I put in, but I do have a lot more nasal drainage, so, something is loosening up!
If you have a heating pad. Put it on the low setting and lay your head upon it. At least that is what I do when I get ear problems to kill any bacteria.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:57 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
My mom just goers to the doctor and gets her ears cleaned out. She needs this done at least 3 times a year.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I really don't think a heating pad is going to kill bacteria....it actually could create enough warmth for them to thrive!

Sounds like the OP has some sort of blockage...sinus, or eustaistion(sp) problem....a decongestant might help...if there is pain, drainage, or fever...go to the doctor!

Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
If you have a heating pad. Put it on the low setting and lay your head upon it. At least that is what I do when I get ear problems to kill any bacteria.
Yeah....laying your head on a heating pad isn't killing any bacteria dude......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness