Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:31 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times

Advertisements

Since Sunday my right ear has been ringing, crackling, hurting, can barely hear out of it. I've tried ear drops, peroxide, and antipyrene & Benzocaine otic solution. No luck. I haven't had a cold or congestion, although most of the family has been sick off & on. Any ideas? The crackling & ringing is driving me nuts & we've no insurance, so a doctor is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:22 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
I once had water in my ear that lasted days. I knew where it happened. We were tubing down the Potomac River and I fell in during some rapids... must have got dirty water or something in there.

My equalibrium was goofed up something awful at first. I kept falling to one side when we got out. I tried ear drops for a few days.

Then one day, I dove into a swimming pool and it cleared!

Don't know that's what's happening and wouldn't want to imply that as a cure. Just thought you might see similarites in symptoms or differences.

Hope that clears up for ya soon! I've gone to Emergicare when I had to and had no insurance. I can sure relate there. If you need antibiotics or something, that's one time when I don't hate docs so much.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Since Sunday my right ear has been ringing, crackling, hurting, can barely hear out of it. I've tried ear drops, peroxide, and antipyrene & Benzocaine otic solution. No luck. I haven't had a cold or congestion, although most of the family has been sick off & on. Any ideas? The crackling & ringing is driving me nuts & we've no insurance, so a doctor is out.
Usually when I can not hear anything in one or both ears it is because of heavy congestion. I'd suggest you try a decongestant and see if that makes any difference.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Two techniques to drain an ear -

1) Open your mouth very wide like a big yawn for a minute.

2) Hold your nose shut with your fingers and blow moderately as if blowing your nose.

If it hurts, discontinue.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
When I was a kid, I had a series of very painful ear infections caused by water in the ear. If I remember correctly, it was an outer ear infection, and while painful, it wasn't as serious as an inner ear infection, which I think would be less painful.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:18 AM

I can "pop" my ears, but it doesn't help. I called the health dept., they only have a nurse on TUESDAYS, I'm a day late. My whole side of my neck and head hurts along w/ the ear now. Having one heck of a time taking care of a 2 year old & sick 14 year old. I've tried nearly all the online home remedies, to no avail. Except garlic in olive oil... mya have to have DH go to town & get some when he gets home don't think I shoul drive.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
Im having some ear issues but i had sinus pain/headaches with it.
Once i tried some Swimmers ear stuff(its basically rubbing alcohol).
It knocked some stuff loose from my ear when i tilted my head.
Try placing a warm cloth under your ear for a while,also take a decongestant..
Like someone mentioned.I have heard a mix of alcohol/white vinegar can help.
The rubbing alcohol dries up the ear/vinegar kills the infection.
I know what you are going through,i have deal with it 2 times in the last year.
Its been bad enough that i couldnt hear at all out of one ear.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Im having some ear issues but i had sinus pain/headaches with it.
Once i tried some Swimmers ear stuff(its basically rubbing alcohol).
It knocked some stuff loose from my ear when i tilted my head.
Try placing a warm cloth under your ear for a while,also take a decongestant..
Like someone mentioned.I have heard a mix of alcohol/white vinegar can help.
The rubbing alcohol dries up the ear/vinegar kills the infection.
I know what you are going through,i have deal with it 2 times in the last year.
Its been bad enough that i couldnt hear at all out of one ear.
Thanks, I have tried all those. Just keeps ringing & crackling

Old 09-16-2009, 12:25 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
I have really small internal workings of my ears so, every time I swim I have the same problem. Best thing to do is to lie down on a pillow (with a towel) on the ear that is bothering you and let it run out. Sometimes it works, others not. If it were infected, eventually you will have a lot of pain and your ear may be hot.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:07 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Have you tried Benadryl?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness