Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:30 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times

Advertisements

My dad has neuropathy and has found some success with acupuncture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:18 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Ugh. I had this long explanation typed out and lost it!

You could possibly have a B12 deficiency, which can take years to show up. I have intermittent neuropathy from chemotherapy and my husband does from a round of Guillain-Barre. We both take sublingual B12 2500 mg per day. B12 is stored in the liver and secreted into bile and reabsorbed, so it takes years for a deficiency to develop. Alcoholism, stomach surgery or illness, or a long period of use of anti-ulcer drugs can cause a deficiency. Also veganism...again, after a very long time in a diet restricted on dairy and eggs.

It can't hurt you if you don't exceed the limit of 2500 mg per day and it might help since the function of B12 in the body is to promote the conduction of the body's electrical currents and to protect the nerve sheaths that surround the nerves that are "firing". You might ask your neurologist about having a nerve conduction and EMG study that would tell if there is any interruption of the signals to the nerves in your feet. It's not a real comfortable test, but not horribly painful either - it might provide some answers to you.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
I think Sam I Am meant 2500 mcg of Vitamin B12.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I think Sam I Am meant 2500 mcg of Vitamin B12.

Whoa....Niners, my BIG mistake...sorry, thanks for the catch! Yes, mcg.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,227 times
Exclamation Joyce

Joyce:
First... It doesn't matter what age you are... Your post sounds like you have what I have..

I got sick in my mid 20's... I have Crohn's disease, Peripheral Neuropathy came with it.

I first had a burning sensation in my feet... Like I could put them in cold water and they would just steam. or that I walked on hot coals. Miserable.

Or it felt like I had them in ice water for days and should be cut off.

I was in so much pain and became so weak that i couldn't go up stairs, I had to crawl. When I fell I wasn't able to get up without help...

They tried putting me ion physical therapy... that was a laugh. Finally i was sent to a neurologist.

They didn't know what was wrong with me... Even doing test after test.
I even had a spinal tap done... Along with being checked for diabetes, more then once.

I am not sure how they fingured out it is Peripheral neuropathy.

I have yet to find any medications that have helped me... Though I have found that when I am real bad pain that a bath helps. Takes all the pressure off the feet and legs.

If/when you do a search for Peripheral neuropathy most of the site will come up with diabetes and Peripheral neuropathy... Just scan the page until you get to the Peripheral neuropathy part.

Some articles I have found to be interesting.
There is also the http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j295/sweetest_illuzion/__Bunch%20of%20BS/19725.jpg (broken link)
The Neuropathy Association, Inc.: Neuropathy, Peripheral Neuropathy, CIDP

I would ask your neurologist about this kind of neuropathy and see what s/he has to say... They might hit their forehead and say "duhhh"

I hope this helps...
Dana

__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycieM View Post
A few years ago, I noticed one of my toes burning on the underside. I just thought it was from ill-fitting shoes. However, it has continued and spread now to both feet and the burning continues along with numbness. I know that sounds impossible but it does do both. I have had the nerve testing done and have been tested for diabetes. I am not a diabetic yet although with some extra weight I have to watch it.

This burning is really extremely painful. I have tried different medications and nothing really helps. I had inserts made for my shoes. Does anyone else suffer from this problem? Have you found anything that works?

I have been to foot doctors and neurologists. They don't seem to know what is causing the condition.

Thanks.
Joycie

Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
I have neuropathy due to MS(very mild) and it is maddening! I found that low doses of Niphedipine works wonders.

Good luck to you!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
both my father and my uncle have Peripheral Neuropathy. It is not related to diabetic. My father has progressed up to his ankles, and my uncle up to his knee on one side, and ankle on the other. I know what he deals with in a way, because I have MS. lol Neuro city in our household. there are meds they use to treat it, but From what my father has said, they tend to make you drowsy, or well..... high.

I have always wondered if there was a connection between MS and Nuropathy.

good luck on finding out what it is.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:47 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I have always wondered if there was a connection between MS and Nuropathy.
There is an Autoimmune Neuropathy as it's called CIDP or Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy as the T-Cells are attacking the Myelin or Nerve Coatings just like MS but where as MS is a CNS or Central Nervous System in the Spinal Cord or Brain where as CIDP is a neuropathy that attacks in the Peripheral areas outside the CNS like the feet or hands etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness