Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 01:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Is there any reason to suspect something will be found on this body scan?Has a doctor recommended this course of action?
Seems an expensive way to attain potential peace of mind.
And if they find nothing in the scan now how will you know something may not come up a week/month/year after the scan, just how often will you plan on being scanned for that potential piece of mind?
This line of logic is like taking your car apart to the last nut and bolt to make sure all is correct.
I'm sure a scan of this type will require the expertise of multiple doctors as a neurosurgeon may not be familiar with what a gastroenterologist is familiar with or a vascular surgeons sphere of knowledge etc.
I think even after a full body scan no medical professional is going to give you a 100% clean bill of health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 10:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm having some serious medical issues,the doctors want to find out the cause,these type of scans are the best way they have to look for the problem/s. I'm certainly not ordering these scans on my own volition.
If theyre necessary than yes, get one. There's no way id intentionally expose myself to a mega dose of ionizing radiation though.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:12 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I've also looked into joining an 'executive health program" but they cost a a LOT more money. They have them at Johns Hopkins, Princeton, and other places. Again, i'm just exploring ways to get a lot deeper info that what passes for a 'physical' most times.

Maybe next time I get blood drawn I'll ask for a more complete test, than standard (and pay the difference for what ever insurance would pay) It won't be as complete as the screening, though.

Personally, I don't have an issue with finding out that a spot on my knee looks like the start of arthritis, or a disc in my back looks a little degenerated, or a vessel in my eye or brain looks weak. Who the heck wants to pop an aneurysm to find out you had one?

I'm NOT a hypocondriac at all, I'm actually quite healthy, take no meds and rarely go to the doctor (other than for age recommended screenings for cancer colonoscopy, etc)

I just think most preventative health screener in the U.S. is a joke, or should I say doesn't go far enough when it comes to finding out certain conditions and illnesses early enough. MOST people don't get pancreatic cancer, and I'm not even worried about having it -- but given that is IS asymptomatic until it's awfully late in the game, why NOT screen for whatever a person might have earlier.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Hope all is well. Glad there is this kind of technology.

I think the body scan I'm referring to is ONE scan, and insurance doesn't cover it here in the U.S. because it's totally optional screening. I think it's great. Basically it just screens the whole body just to see what it might find.

I've seen them featured on news segments on TV. For that person, the doc said it found early, early early signs of arthritis.
Basically it can find PRE-SYMPTOMATIC conditions. It can let you know what you MIGHT get in the future.
there is no way you can totally prevent diseases, whether it is heart trouble, cancer or whatever. My husband does have a full body scan once a year because he is a cancer survivor. I think next year may be the last. Our insurance does pay for it because in his case it is diaganostic. You say it isn't covered by isurance in the US, where is it covered, do you know?

To be honest I wouldn't have one the more radiation and such you are exposed to, the more health risk that can occur. All these test do is, as you say, let you know what you might get sometime down the road. We all watch too much TV. What difference does it make to know you might develop something like Arthritis. There isn't anything you can do but worry about it.

Jambo; hubby went through all the tests you are going through and guess what? They have never found the cause of his weak legs. The only possible answer for him was all the hormone treatments and radiation he had.

Good luck, I hope you get some answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness