Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:19 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,504 times

Advertisements

For someone allegedly in a happy relationship, you sure are worried about attracting other men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
I dared to suggest that men might not be totally honest when "carding" women for alcohol or suggesting they look younger in a different thread and was torn apart by a digital pack of hyenas. This is not something that people want to hear, and the OP isn't the only one. Apparently every woman on here looks 27.
I think bragging about getting carded is pretty silly. There are usually signs saying they card anyone who looks under 40 or some age that 1) absolutely covers their butts and leaves no question, and 2) probably makes a sizable chunk of the female population happy. Nobody actually thinks you're underage, lady. I was behind a grey-haired grandpa at the grocery store last week who got carded.

I'm turning 42 this weekend. I don't have many lines on my face and people are usually surprised by my age, but there are very, very few instances where people ever discuss their ages, so "usually" is within that context of "in the extremely rare instances when it comes up." My sister-in-law brought over some pictures of when our daughters were little. I was 24 in those pictures, with more plumpness in my face and not so cheekboney. I looked like a kid! I am perfectly fine with being 42 with nice skin, but there is no way an additional 18 years of smiling is not going to show up on my face. I wish women wouldn't equate being good-looking with looking 10+ years younger than they are just because they take care of themselves.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think bragging about getting carded is pretty silly. There are usually signs saying they card anyone who looks under 40 or some age that 1) absolutely covers their butts and leaves no question, and 2) probably makes a sizable chunk of the female population happy. Nobody actually thinks you're underage, lady. I was behind a grey-haired grandpa at the grocery store last week who got carded.

I'm turning 42 this weekend. I don't have many lines on my face and people are usually surprised by my age, but there are very, very few instances where people ever discuss their ages, so "usually" is within that context of "in the extremely rare instances when it comes up." My sister-in-law brought over some pictures of when our daughters were little. I was 24 in those pictures, with more plumpness in my face and not so cheekboney. I am perfectly fine with being 42 with nice skin, but there is no way an additional 18 years of smiling is not going to show up on my face. I wish women wouldn't equate being good-looking with looking 10+ years younger than they are just because they take care of themselves.
I can cosign that last sentence. I'm told I look younger all the time, and I do. I'm 42 and don't have wrinkles, don't have to over color my hair because I have no grey hairs, etc. Big frickin deal. Just because I look like I'm younger doesn't make me attractive and it isn't doing me any favors. I'd rather be an attractive woman who looks 42 than an unattractive woman who looks in her late 20s/early 30s.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:30 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Most of the time people are just being polite.
Oh, it's exactly that a lot of the time. The difference is in how it's taken.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,793,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

I'm turning 42 this weekend. I don't have many lines on my face and people are usually surprised by my age, but there are very, very few instances where people ever discuss their ages, so "usually" is within that context of "in the extremely rare instances when it comes up." My sister-in-law brought over some pictures of when our daughters were little. I was 24 in those pictures, with more plumpness in my face and not so cheekboney. I looked like a kid! I am perfectly fine with being 42 with nice skin, but there is no way an additional 18 years of smiling is not going to show up on my face. I wish women wouldn't equate being good-looking with looking 10+ years younger than they are just because they take care of themselves.
It's not just "bragging about being carded". Even in the posts where people are supposedly talking about how silly the concept is, they never fail to slip in the little "I'm told I look younger" or "people compliment me all the time". I mean, obviously we're all supermodels here, but for those lonely other folk outside the forum, a lot of the time...people are just being polite.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Why? Is he doing time?
You, sir, win all of everything with that response.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,657,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Seems to be the case. Follow any old man into a bank or grocery store. The smell could knock you over.
What an ignorant and offensive comment. Generalize much?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Quote:
It's not just "bragging about being carded". Even in the posts where people are supposedly talking about how silly the concept is, they never fail to slip in the little "I'm told I look younger" or "people compliment me all the time". I mean, obviously we're all supermodels here, but for those lonely other folk outside the forum, a lot of the time...people are just being polite.
Guilty as charged, I guess. I'm sorry if I sounded braggy. For me, it has a lot to do with my having children in my early 20s. I'm about the same age as the parents of my son's peers (he's 11), but their other kids are younger or just a little older, while my girls are a senior in high school and already graduated. They are surprised that I am old enough to have children that age.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Maybe they are just being polite. For me it's never a compliment, and it doesn't make a difference anyway. They aren't telling me something good; they are just asking me for my license.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
Maybe they are just being polite. For me it's never a compliment, and it doesn't make a difference anyway. They aren't telling me something good; they are just asking me for my license.

Again, I'm 44, and I was asked for my ID everytime I tried to enter a bar this last weekend. Because I looked young? No, because it was policy.

Means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness