Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:19 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times

Advertisements

I'm convinced they'll never end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
I am in the 6th year of hot flashes. I feel that I am coping well without HRT so have no plans to use it at this point. After 6 years they are coming less frequently and are less intense than in years past. However, I am very much looking forward to a time when this is concluded.

If you have not used hormones I would like to know how many years your hot flashes went on for before they finally stopped. I need something positive to visualize!

Thanks for contributing!
I can't say, since I went on hormones for a few years. So the hot flashes returned when I stopped.

I got some progersterone cream, though (over the counter), which seems to help that, actually.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
I am in the 6th year of hot flashes. I feel that I am coping well without HRT so have no plans to use it at this point. After 6 years they are coming less frequently and are less intense than in years past. However, I am very much looking forward to a time when this is concluded.

If you have not used hormones I would like to know how many years your hot flashes went on for before they finally stopped. I need something positive to visualize!

Thanks for contributing!
5+ years for me and still get them but not often.
Have you tried Amberen?
It works for 96% of the women who use it and you can now purchase over the counter at your local Pharmacy.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:55 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times
About 10 years for me, with a small break while I was taking hormones (patch) I weaned off the patch after, oh, a year or two, and they have not been as intense since then. I call them "warm flashes". Every great now and then I'll still get pretty hot.

On a side note...do or did any of you ever have small flashes of anxiety before the hot flashes? I can tell one is coming by that. It's just about a half a second of something like, "I've got to get out of here!" I've never had any other type of anxiety.

Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
The worst was from about age 52 - 54, with significant tapering off near the end of the second year.

I'm 56 now and still get occasional hot flashes. About 90% of the time, they happen because something I'm eating has lots of soy in it. For example, I was having a protein bar and tea for breakfast and the hot flashes started in about the 4th day of that.

The other 10% of the time, they just happen, and I'll have them about 5 hours apart for about 48 hours, then they will quit for 3 - 4 months. They aren't as intense as they were 4 years ago. They are only majorly annoying if it's 90+ outside and I'm crossing a parking lot. Otherwise, I can somewhat ignore them.

I've been keeping a food diary, so I do have some idea of what I've been eating and drinking.

I didn't take HRT and NONE of the herbs were helpful. Time was the only thing that really made a difference.

My tips for staying comfortable:

- Use cotton nightwear and sheets. Spend the bucks and get a high thread count.
- Keep a fan near your bed, even in the winter.
- Keep a food/drink diary. Know your trigger foods/drinks. For some, it's more than one glass of red wine.
- Remind yourself that it is a natural process and that it will pass.

I don't blame women for wanting to take hormones, but I felt the risk was too great. As hard as those two years were, I'd go through them again vs. taking hormones. That's how strongly that I'm concerned about their safety long-term.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:06 PM

409 posts, read 484,982 times
Mine lasted about a year and they weren't that bad. I have had no other problems and feel better than ever. It's so nice not to have periods every 28 days complete with raging PMS. Menopause for me has been a huge improvement.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:42 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Mine didn't last for very long. I only had 3 memorable, raging hot flashes. You know, the kind that make you want to tear off your clothes and dive into a snow bank. There were definitely warm flashes, but they weren't that annoying. The whole thing was over in about a year.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:21 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
Mine lasted about a year and they weren't that bad. I have had no other problems and feel better than ever. It's so nice not to have periods every 28 days complete with raging PMS. Menopause for me has been a huge improvement.
I will say, amazingly, I did not experience what other women may suffer with. I too had no obvious problems during or afterward and as you say, it was just a relief to have periods end, with PMS having caused a lot of emotionalism. I have felt SO free ever since.

I don't know if this is the case, but since I have taken multivitamins daily since in my mid-twenties, which apparently helped with lessening Menstrual pain, I believe this may have helped me through Menopause. I realize our bodies are different and may all experience things differently.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:00 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Those are no hot flashes. They are power surges!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:23 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
About 10 years for me, with a small break while I was taking hormones (patch) I weaned off the patch after, oh, a year or two, and they have not been as intense since then. I call them "warm flashes". Every great now and then I'll still get pretty hot.

On a side note...do or did any of you ever have small flashes of anxiety before the hot flashes? I can tell one is coming by that. It's just about a half a second of something like, "I've got to get out of here!" I've never had any other type of anxiety.
Absolutely yes! Not with every hot flash but when I do, I get this horrible feeling coming over me. Mine lasts about 10 seconds. I can't even describe it. It is just an evil feeling LOL I know that an intense hot flash is coming after I get one of those icky "feelings"

I'm also going on 10 years, on a light HRT, and it helps but doesn't make them go away altogether.

One thing I've noticed and never heard of anyone else with this symptom about my hot flashes is that I get an INTENSE craving for a cold drink of water before I get one. It's like I am dying of thirst. Anyone else experience this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness