Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:51 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times

Advertisements

my doctor put me on ciprofloxacin and tamsulosin(flomax), since i dont like to take pills,(i dont even like to take aspirin) i was curious about the side effects and went on some websites were patients can give reviews about medication.The reviews were horrible, about 80% said they were very dissatisfied, flomax did a little better, but both sound not much better than taking rat poison, one lady wrote that it took here over a year to get over the side effects and another said he was ruined for life. If this medication was this bad it would have been taken off the market years ago, my guess is that the people who had the worst side effects are the ones commenting and thats scewing the results in that direction.My question is -has anybody out there taken these meds and what are your opinions about the side effects, its just because i get up a few times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom but if the side effects are this terrible Ill just put up with getting up at night ,thanks everyone for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 12:18 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I've taken Cipro several times for UTI. My mother has also taken it several times. Neither of us had any odd side effects other than mild stomach upset. The only weird thing that we noticed is that my dog was scared of us when we were taking it...maybe it changes a person's usual scent and so the dog thought it was a stranger instead. But that wasn't a big enough issue to keep me from taking it when it was prescribed again.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I took Cipro for one week and it destroyed both my Achilles tendons. I had to have them both surgically rebuilt. This was extremely debilitating and took me several years to recover from - and of course my rebuilt Achilles tendons are not nearly as supple (not to mention pain free) as my "originals."

And now my thumbs and wrists are hurting. I'm scared to go get it checked out. My orthopedic surgeon has already told me that I am at much higher risk for tendon and joint problems since I had such a bad reaction to Cipro.

The issue is that the Black Box Warning (that was forced on the drug companies after so many people had such bad reactions to these meds) is worded in such a way that people think they will know quickly whether or not they're going to experience a problem, and if so they can just "contact their doctor" and quit taking the meds and be OK. But this is not actually the case. Sometimes - like, for instance in my case - the patient may complete the round of meds with no apparent problems, but unknown to them, the damage, which is irreversible, has already begun, and WILL manifest itself sometimes weeks or even months later. In my case, I had even totally forgotten that I'd taken the drug at all by the time my Achilles tendons fell apart on me.

These antibiotics were originally formulated for diseases like anthrax and ebola (they are both in the very problematic fluoroquinolone family). They are now prescribed like candy. Using them for something that can be treated with a drug that's a lot less potent and prone to issues, is like using a machine gun to kill a mouse.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:43 AM

By the way, there is more and more attention being given to this family of drugs - and it's not positive attention. The FDA in fact recently had another big meeting about these drugs, and listened to tons of stories from those who were negatively affected by these drugs - and then issued this statement:

Quote:
Fluoroquinolone labels need much stronger warnings about the risks for serious adverse events, including tendinitis and tendon rupture, prolongation of the QT interval, and peripheral neuropathy, according to a joint panel of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/854067

FDA hearing today about commonly prescribed antibiotics, fluoroquinolones | WRIC
I-Team: Patients Say Popular Drug Caused Devastating Side Effects « CBS Boston
FOX25 Investigates: Some blame certain antibiotics for devastating side effects | FOX25
Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics Linked to Serious Nerve Damage
Fluoroquinolone News, Research

I'm not a paranoid person, nor have I ever been overly sensitive to prescription drugs. I was shocked when this happened to me.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:47 AM

One more point - Cipro and Flomax are not in the same drug family. Can you ask your doctor if you have to take Cipro, and why? Can you ask him if you can either just drop the antibiotic completely or switch it to something a lot less problematic? If you don't have an infection, I have to wonder why you are taking an antibiotic at all.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
One more point - Cipro and Flomax are not in the same drug family. Can you ask your doctor if you have to take Cipro, and why? Can you ask him if you can either just drop the antibiotic completely or switch it to something a lot less problematic? If you don't have an infection, I have to wonder why you are taking an antibiotic at all.
The idea is to treat prostatitis with an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, and an alpha blocker. Cipro is the antibiotic, Flomax is the alpha blocker, specifically one that works on the prostate. Treating prostatitis: Any cause for optimism? - Harvard Prostate Knowledge - Harvard Health Publications

Old 12-21-2015, 01:16 PM

I forgot to mention that some men have found relief from taking saw palmetto, an herbal supplement. If you're really opposed to taking any of the prescription meds or the side effects seem like they'd be worse than the original problem, then you might try the saw palmetto.

Prostate massage is also supposed to help but if the prostatitis is bacterial, the massage is supposed to be combined with antibiotics or the infection could spread throughout the body.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The idea is to treat prostatitis with an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, and an alpha blocker. Cipro is the antibiotic, Flomax is the alpha blocker, specifically one that works on the prostate. Treating prostatitis: Any cause for optimism? - Harvard Prostate Knowledge - Harvard Health Publications
Right but my point is that Flomax doesn't have the same risks or possible side effects that Cipro has, so there's no point in worrying about tendon damage or some of the other awful potential side effects of Cipro with Flomax.

I would clarify with the doctor about whether an antibiotic is necessary if there's no infection to begin with. I think antibiotics tend to be over prescribed anyway but what do I know? All I know is that one week of Cipro ruined both my Achilles tendons - and I could have probably been prescribed something less powerful, with fewer serious potential side effects.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:12 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I forgot to mention that some men have found relief from taking saw palmetto, an herbal supplement. If you're really opposed to taking any of the prescription meds or the side effects seem like they'd be worse than the original problem, then you might try the saw palmetto.

Prostate massage is also supposed to help but if the prostatitis is bacterial, the massage is supposed to be combined with antibiotics or the infection could spread throughout the body.
thanks ill try it, i like herbal remedies, i use to get colds very easily, then i started taken echinacea and havent had a cold since.also i use to have problems with nausea but a pinch of cloves or nutmeg gets ride of that feeling in a flash added benefits is cloves i great for getting rid of ants, they cant stand the smell.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
Ciprofloxacin was mass produced when we had the anthrax scare to be available if we were hit with a chemical attack. Used also for a medication I believe for bacterial infections. Non the less I can't take it as sends my stomach into fits causing horrible reflux. I wonder how many health issues have started over the decades with the usage of antibiotics and other drugs. Decided with my last sinus infection to check on a home remedy saving me from a Dr bill and prescription. Ciprofloxacin was the medication, but followed the home remedy. Worked well and should have started it sooner. Will keep my unused ciprofloxacin to use in case of anthrax. FYI if you are on any meds to treat blood pressure,diabetes,and other health issues make sure you check with your doctor when taking supplements of anything. I have wasted money over the years on them as they didn't mix well with meds I was on. St. John's Wart was one of them. If dr.Oz isn't your physician you need to take the advice of your Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness