Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,861 times

Advertisements

Warning: If you are easily grossed out dont read any further...lol
I had pain in one ear for a day or two,So i decided to use a Q-tip..
And i ended up with black stuff on the q-tip?and tiny amount of blood.
From reading online im guessing i have an infection and the eardrum..
Ruptured.Which isnt as bad as it sounds,t normally heals itself.
The black stuff is kinda freaking me out i have only heard of Dogs..
Having that issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,981,691 times
The black might have been old blood.... I had blood in my ear once (following a day of pain that suddenly went away) and when I went to the doctor, she said that I had a pimple or other small local infection burst in my ear canal, but that it wasn't an ear infection. If your ear does not hurt and it doesn't happen again, I wouldn't worry too much, but if you get more blood/black stuff or if your ear hurts, I'd get it checked out. And don't go sticking anything smaller than your elbow in your ear anyway!

Old 11-06-2008, 11:01 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,861 times
Yeah,I have heard its not good to use Q-tips,perhaps i could use another..
Product to clean things clean.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Having that issue.
The black stuff is dried blood.

Does it smell bad? If not, you're okay.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 125,689 times
An ear infection also can make the eardrum red. If you have an ear infection, the doctor will make a decision about what to do next.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Having that issue.
If it's an infection, squirt some colloidal silver in it and leave it there for a few minutes to do it's thing, or alternatively put a few drops of OTC hydrogen peroxide in it and leave your head tilted for a while till it stops sizzling or buzzing. The sound is only the h2o2 working on any wax or other stuff which may be in the ear and it should take out the infection also, it's a good antibacterial, after a while tilt your head the other way and clean up. If you're satisfied the blood is not a serious issue then this would be the way to go, however, if you don't know if there is a potential issue with the inner ear then perhaps you should ignore all of the above till you find out.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
I would get it checked out a light infection is a lot easier to treat than a serious one.
Plus they can flush it out for you at the office. Ear infections can repeat too when its a bad infection.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,938 times
I had a pretty similar situation a few months ago, and yes, it's quite gross. The good news is that it's probably harmless. I went to a Now Care and they gave me some antibiotics and it was healed in about a week. It only costs about $40 to get it fixed and it's a good idea just to make sure it's not something else.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM

25 posts, read 155,651 times
If your eardrum broke you would really be able to tell there is horrible pressure and when it burst lots of clear (usually) liquid comes out and you usually have to sleep with a cotton ball in your ear because of the draining. I have had 16 sets of tubes put in my ears over the years. I would suggest to go to your doctor and get some pennicillian if you aren't allergic to it and keep your ears from getting water in the from showers, pools ect. Also something I found out that is a little weird but works, if your ear is aching you can have someone you know that smokes blow smoke into that ear. It numbs the pain some how, believe me I know it sounds strange but after so many eardrums breaking you start looking for answers. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,501 times
My daughter had a TON of ear infections. When her eardrum would rupture, yellowish STINKY liquid would drain from her ear. Sometimes it would be so strong it would almost "burn" her skin on her face where it drained, leaving it red and irritated.

If you aren't having any pain or pressure, it probably isn't an actual ear infection, but something in the canal. Of course, after her eardrum would rupture, most of the pressure would go away. Also, when she had an infection it would really hurt when she would lay down.

I'd say check in with your doc if you have any further issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness