Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,356,039 times

Advertisements

Flu vaccine decreases the severity of the illness and/or makes it harder to catch the more prevalent strains, but does not PREVENT it, as we can't effectively vaccinate against a virus that changes yearly. The best protection in addition to vaccination is HANDWASHING!!!!!
In case you missed groove's link: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Q & A: Flu Shot

Am seeing a lot of influenza, and upper respiratory illness, and 24-hr "bugs" - I think it is because we've had such a mild winter here in the south.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,446,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Flu vaccine decreases the severity of the illness and/or makes it harder to catch the more prevalent strains, but does not PREVENT it, as we can't effectively vaccinate against a virus that changes yearly. The best protection in addition to vaccination is HANDWASHING!!!!!
In case you missed groove's link: CDC - Influenza (Flu) | Q & A: Flu Shot

Am seeing a lot of influenza, and upper respiratory illness, and 24-hr "bugs" - I think it is because we've had such a mild winter here in the south.
And no rain until recently and viruses love dry air.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,766,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
First, there are many strains of the flu and the flu shot is only preventative against only ONE type. Also, occassionally, they are using weakened strains of the flu as the vaccine and there is a tiny percentage of it causing you to get sick. On the flip side, one should not freak out over the stupid media buzz "THE FLU SHOT KILLS YOU! OMGOMGOMGOMGOGMG"....its pretty stupid that they sensationalize things like that because quite frankly, anything could kill you---like walking. Or breathing. Or living.
Actually it's preventative against several types, generally the most common strains from the season before. So you may get boosted immunity to some flu strains going around, but if the particular one you come into contact with wasn't part of the cocktail you received...well, you can come down with it.

As far as getting sick from the vaccine itself, sure. Some people get sick, most don't.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM

I do feel sluggish for a day or two after the vaccine. My fiance has a bad reaction to everything and is allergic to a bunch of differenet meds, therefore she has never taken her chances with the flu shot. If it's rare, no matter how minor the risk, it will happen to her.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:02 PM

713 posts, read 2,720,757 times
I had a liver transplant 22 years ago. I take an anti-rejection medication daily which lowers my immune system. I try to get a flu shot every year. I think that it is all in a person's mind when they tell me that getting a flu shot gives them the flu. I have never gotten the flu from a flu shot and if anyone should get the flu from the shot, it would be me. Yes...it can make u feel a bit off for a day or two afterwards. Your body is busy producing antibodies, DUH.
BTW. I got a flu shot three weeks ago....and I have lived to tell about it.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:54 AM

I heard on the radio today that half of the flu shots this year didn't contain at least one of the strains going around. WASH YOUR HANDS AND DO NOT TOUCH YOUR EYES, NOSE, OR MOUTH. ALSO, PLEASE COUGH/SNEEZE INTO YOUR SLEEVE NOT YOUR HANDS OR INTO THE AIR!

Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,342,433 times
The only time I got a flu shot, I got the flu right after (2 or 3 days later). I've never had the flu since. No one in my family gets a flu shot and we've never gotten the flu, at least that I can tell. Knock wood!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
My husband was a quadriplegic and last year when he got the flu shot he had a massive seizure, and we headed home from California, this year while in the hospital , the night before he was coming home , he was given another flu shot for this year , it was Valentines Day morning around 5:30 he was rushed to the ER and passed away . The cause of death is still pending , but both times he has reactions , and I will never know if it were realted but now my sweet Valentine isn't with me any more.............

Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,913,232 times
Old thread, closed. Any future threads on vaccines go in P&OC as they are now a controversy.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness