Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 AM

10,096 posts, read 5,748,921 times

Advertisements

I sure wasn't expecting this type of reaction. After a long process of consultation and two sleep studies, I finally got an official diagnosis of moderate obstructive sleep apnea. My doctor prescribed a Cpap machine for me and gave me instructions to meet with a medical provider company.

That was a week ago. I met with a lady and she introduced me to the Phillips Respironics DreamStation. This is a slick device and I was excited to use it. Unfortunately, she hit me with so many instructions that I left the place confused. The unerving part is she set the pressure to 14 and put the mask on me. I felt panic as I couldn't talk or breathe! She lowered the pressure and told me that the machine can ramp up to that level slowly during my sleep. Still makes me uneasy to know that I'm putting my faith that this machine won't put too much pressure in me while I'm completely unconscious.

The other thing I'm confused and uneasy about is all the cleaning. I don't even want to touch the thing until I know for sure what to do. The manual says wash the filter with light detergent. The girl at the office told me to use vingear, but now I don't remember how much. Or how often do I wash each part when should I wash. First thing in the morning? I just never thought about cpap machines having a water component. How the heck do I keep water from collecting in the tubing?

Would love to hear from anyone on cpap or even better someone who uses this particular machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 03:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,877,205 times
I don't have that machine but I don't use the humidifier (and I live in dry Texas). You are NOT unconscious during sleep, you are merely asleep. You will still waken if something disturbs you, it just won't be from stopping breathing! If you are that confused, call them back and see them again.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,009,296 times
Definitely call back...but the machine is pretty simple! Make sure there's fresh water in it...turn it on, and put the mask on....go to sleep! The "pressure" is slight...and will not blow you up like a balloon! Promise!

I can tell you that anyone who goes to a sleep clinic will be diagnosed with "sleep apnea"....

Old 03-04-2016, 02:47 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,294,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I sure wasn't expecting this type of reaction. After a long process of consultation and two sleep studies, I finally got an official diagnosis of moderate obstructive sleep apnea. My doctor prescribed a Cpap machine for me and gave me instructions to meet with a medical provider company.

That was a week ago. I met with a lady and she introduced me to the Phillips Respironics DreamStation. This is a slick device and I was excited to use it. Unfortunately, she hit me with so many instructions that I left the place confused. The unerving part is she set the pressure to 14 and put the mask on me. I felt panic as I couldn't talk or breathe! She lowered the pressure and told me that the machine can ramp up to that level slowly during my sleep. Still makes me uneasy to know that I'm putting my faith that this machine won't put too much pressure in me while I'm completely unconscious.

The other thing I'm confused and uneasy about is all the cleaning. I don't even want to touch the thing until I know for sure what to do. The manual says wash the filter with light detergent. The girl at the office told me to use vingear, but now I don't remember how much. Or how often do I wash each part when should I wash. First thing in the morning? I just never thought about cpap machines having a water component. How the heck do I keep water from collecting in the tubing?

Would love to hear from anyone on cpap or even better someone who uses this particular machine.
My DH and I both have Phillips CPAPs. Really, it's pretty easy to care for; we wash the mask (in our cases, nasal pillows), hoses, and tank with a small amount of dish detergent. We wash the nasal pillows daily, hoses and tank weekly. Use filtered or distilled water in the tank.

If they've set it to ramp, then you don't have to worry about getting the full blast as soon as you turn it on. Try it during the day, when you're not trying to sleep, so you can get used to it. Put it on for five minutes, read or watch TV while you're wearing it.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
I've been using a CPAP machine for 10 years,The filter is just a piece of dense foam that i clean by just rubbing the dust out of it once a month, the nose mask and related tubing i wash in a sink full of warm water and a few tablespoons of bleach once a week.
The humidifier function i never use as it just forms water in the tubing that equates to funny gurgling noises during the night.
Wearing the mask took a bit of getting used to ,in my case 6 months before i was very comfortable with it.
The 14 psi is a normal figure and will not cause you harm.
Just get used to it as the sleep apnea alternative puts much strain on your heart.
There are a few good CPAP forums you might want to join
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness