Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:09 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

On that note, can someone explain why tampons are so friggin' expensive?!! It's cotton on a string.

I was so happy to get a hysterectomy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 07:19 PM

62 posts, read 75,728 times
Just to point out ladies that we are answering a thread for a gentleman who was asking about his girlfriends cramps. I'm sure he will be thinking "this is more information than I needed to know."

Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The cup isn't too messy, once you're past that learning curve that Scooby mentioned. I couldn't use the disposable Instead cups, something about my cervix and the way the cup sits made it impossible. The reusable ones though, are great. You fold the cup to insert it and then rotate it until it pops open inside of you. When you take it out, you empty it in the toilet and wash it in the sink. It holds enough that you usually don't have to empty it when you're out of the house, but in a pinch you could empty it and put it back in without washing it, and just wash it when you got home. If you were emptying the cup in a toilet stall, you'd want to take a few wet paper towels in with you in case of mess.

To give you an idea of how much it holds, I have one day each period where I would go through a whole box of super plus tampons, changing the tampon two or three times an hour. On that day, I have to empty the cup once an hour. The rest of my cycle, I can get by with emptying the cup every 12 hours. I have to use a pad for backup during the night for two or three days, but I had to do the same with tampons.

Some people say the cramps are better with a menstrual cup. Personally, my cramps are just as bad with the cup, but there are other advantages to the cup...it cost $30 but I've used it a year and a half so far, making it much cheaper than tampons. There's also nothing gross to put in the bathroom trash. There's no risk of toxic shock syndrome. Only having to empty it once every 12 hours during most of the period is a big advantage too.
Wow, a whole box in ONE DAY?! What a headache, and that can even cause you medical problems like anemia. I'm glad you found a better solution. I bought the Duchess cup and got 2 for $24. Unfortunately I was one of the rare women in whom the reusable one did not work as well as the disposable one, because it just did not fit as well and caused me irritation. But using the Instead disposable works great. I suppose I'm shaped differently, and since I'm a light bleeder, it's just as cost effective. I'm the same way about the cramps as you. Using the cup doesn't reduce them, but it doesn't make them any worse either, and the romantic life doesn't get rudely interrupted, which is a big plus

Old 03-15-2016, 08:53 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janis64 View Post
Just to point out ladies that we are answering a thread for a gentleman who was asking about his girlfriends cramps. I'm sure he will be thinking "this is more information than I needed to know."

Yeah, I bet he is appreciating his GF very much right now.

Good work ladies!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2016, 09:49 PM

481 posts, read 427,497 times
So, apparently

Period pain is officially as bad as a heart attack - so why have doctors ignored it? The answer is simple

"John Guillebaud, professor of reproductive health at University College London, revealed this week that research shows period pain can be as “bad as having a heart attackâ€.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:39 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
On that note, can someone explain why tampons are so friggin' expensive?!! It's cotton on a string.

I was so happy to get a hysterectomy.
Are Tampons expensive? I pay around 4 bucks a month. I get the pack with Super, Regular, and Light Tampons in one box which lasts me a month.

I guess I see it like gasoline - I have to pay it, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:22 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Are Tampons expensive? I pay around 4 bucks a month. I get the pack with Super, Regular, and Light Tampons in one box which lasts me a month.

I guess I see it like gasoline - I have to pay it, so it doesn't matter anyway.
Only $4 is pretty good. I'm annoyed we get taxed on those items but not say on eye drops. It is a necessary health item.

I spend, hmm....I go through 2-3 packs of pads and 30 tampons or more. I get so sick of buying them, regardless of cost.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:51 AM

15 posts, read 13,040 times
Wow! Crazy stories ladies! How do you think women in the far past like in Roman and medieval times managed?

Also, when I buy my gf tampons they are usually only like $10 a box, not that expensive.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulone828 View Post
Wow! Crazy stories ladies! How do you think women in the far past like in Roman and medieval times managed?

Also, when I buy my gf tampons they are usually only like $10 a box, not that expensive.
What did American and European women use for menstruation in the past? at MUM

My mother, born in 1919, told me that back in the day, she used folded up diaper material that she would pin to her underwear. Soaked the soiled ones in a bucket of cold water in the basement, then laundered them to be used again.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulone828 View Post
So my gf can often get painful cramps when she's on the rag and I do try to help as in I have gone to the store to buy her pads, tampons, midol etc. But really she doesn't like to talk about it which I can understand.

My question is for a man what would you say is the closest equivalent pain a man can get to what period cramps are like? How bad are they usually for you and does it impair your ability to function at all? My gf just stays in bed and covers up not saying much.

On a scale of 1-10 how painful would you rate yours on average? The worst pain I have felt is from an infected tooth, and while obviously not equivalent I can say the pain was something I wouldn't want my worst enemy to have lol. What do you think would be worse to go through, bad cramps or a bad tooth ache?
The pain varies so widely from person to person, and even from one stage of life to another, that it is not possible to generalize.

For me, the feeling was like having someone fasten a pliers to random parts of my internal anatomy and squeezing or pinching hard for anywhere from one to thirty seconds at a time. I would call those mild cramps. A man could probably come close by taking a pliers to the skin of his scrotal area or just inside the anus and pinching firmly for a second (not being sarcastic).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness