Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 01:25 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I know plenty of friends who were slapped with levo and couldn't get help for desiccated .. once they finally found an MD to help them, they felt so much better.

Ignorance is bliss for so so many.

How about history and the pig thyroid support.

The Syn pharma sales people line up in MD's office to dowel out the samples so the MD's can get their patients on this synthetic drug.

Everyone has their stories and believe what is best and helping them. As I said the Synthroid people did another great pharma job pushing their drugs.
The "synthetic" drug is the exact same molecule as the T4 produced by the human body.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:35 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How is dried pig thyroid "natural" for a human, and levothyroxine, which is identical to human T4, not?
Obviously the preference would be to be lucky enough to not have hashimotos or be hypothyroid but for those who are we have to choose the option works bests for us. For me, the clear winner was NDT based on symptoms. For you it was synthetics (although I doubt you tried NDT). I really don't understand what it is you are trying to argue about.

Last edited by MissTerri; 10-23-2016 at 01:44 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's officially called, "Natural Desiccated Thyroid". Natural is in the name. It is pig thyroid hormone. Synthroid and levothyroxine are not "identical" to human thyroid as they are synthetic versions. Obviously the preference would be to be lucky enough to not have hashimotos or be hypothyroid but for those who are we have to choose the option works bests for us. For me, the clear winner was NDT. For you it was synthetics (although I doubt you tried NDT). I really don't understand what it is you are trying to argue about.
I see. Because the seller chooses to use "natural" in the product name, that makes it "natural".

Synthroid and generic levothyroxine are indeed identical molecules to the T4 produced by the human thyroid.

http://drugsdetails.com/levothyroxine/

"Levothyroxine (also known as L-thyroxine) is a synthetic thyroid hormone and chiral compound in the L-form which is chemically identical to thyroxine – T4."

I object to calling dried pig thyroid as a "natural" replacement for human thyroid hormone.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
A pig thyroid is more natural than Synthetics to our human bodies. Humans are more like animals than the lab synthetics. Many people even give their pets some of their supplements.

I wasn't born with synthetics in my body, I don't think I was.

I think I've read somewhere that pigs are pretty smart animals.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:05 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Just the word 'support' (which the OP is using over and over and over again) is driving me nuts right now. That term is so associated with quacks and their vague statements about a lot of their over the counter or 'get it online only' solutions to just about every humanly imaginable health condition that I cannot stand it .. sorry. The word we should use in this case is replacement I believe. If the thyroid is not working at all, or is working less optimally than needed, then one must replace the hormones it doesn't produce but that we need so much - we probably cannot 'support' the thyroid itself to produce more.

I have been hypothyroid for well over 20 years (and possibly longer before diagnosis). It is a condition which it is said that up to 1/3rd of the population have or will have - and it is severely underdiagnosed and in most cases undertreated. You won't find me in disagreement about the issues that surround this condition at all - and I will also say that I think the treatment that works for any two people is likely very different so I won't argue that any one kind of treatment is best for everyone at all either. Not all patients respond to natural thyroid or natural thyroid alone. (and even finding a doctor who will even go to natural thyroid/Armour, etc. is pretty darned hard to do.) If you find something that works for you .. by all means use it/take it/laud it ... as working for YOU .. but be aware that it may not work the same way for others.

Despite the prevalence there are very few doctors who actually know much about hypothyroidism, how to gauge what treatment will work best for a particular patient, and even more annoyingly how much of it to prescribe even if they are willing to. The scale for TSH has also changed over the years but I have found that many doctors are not even aware of that! It used to be that the top of the 'normal range' was 5 and is now 3. And the optimum dosage should take you close to (but not at or below) 1 (because at that point you get into issues with hyperthyroid-like problems. Borderline cases are usually told they are absolutely fine, nothing to worry about - and often not even monitored to see if there is any change over time. And many doctors just ask for a TSH rather than a full panel.

I made a big mistake with all this years ago - when I found a doctor who was so into the 'iodine' thing (he has written many articles about using iodine, preferably with no other standard treatments, and he sold Iodide by the case load to many patients). I thought I would try out his protocol and it was awful - made me very ill! Instead, like all hypothyroid patients I merely use ONLY iodized salt - which is now sorely lacking in many people's diets (particularly if you eat out a lot or eat processed foods).

I used to take Levoxyl - and it did well for me but then they were out of production for several years and I was forced onto Synthroid which is ok but not the best for me. I still haven't found a doctor who will talk about Armour (but I will try it if I come across one - but not take that exclusively .. I know the results if something doesn't work - not going there again if I can help it), and try to follow some (what I think is good) dietary advice to avoid all cruciferous/goiterogenic vegetables (as much as possible .. love them so I moderate and always eat them cooked late in the day), and avoid SOY like the plague, etc.

For me, one of the biggest issues with being hypothyroid and having to take meds for that is that meds are prescribed as a single fixed dosage - one pill a day .. and the body doesn't need exactly the same amount every day, week, month (unless you have had your thyroid completely removed I think but that is not my case so it fluctuates) ... what it seems to need (according to personal experience) is a varying dose or a couple of different prescriptions so one can vary the amount one takes when one can feel one needs more or less - particularly as seasons change I have found. Haven't found a doctor yet who will listen to me on this one either.

Also of note, it may matter why you have a thyroid deficiency as not all deficiencies are caused by Hashimoto's. If one has Hashimoto's there is a greater chance you may also be more likely acquire other auto-immune conditions as well I am lead to believe - and I think that may matter a lot to your treatment protocol too.

Last edited by Aery11; 10-23-2016 at 02:17 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Just the word 'support' (which the OP is using over and over and over again) is driving me nuts right now. That term is so associated with quacks and their vague statements about a lot of their over the counter or 'get it online only' solutions to just about every humanly imaginable health condition that I cannot stand it .. sorry. The word we should use in this case is replacement I believe. If the thyroid is not working at all, or is working less optimally than needed, then one must replace the hormones it doesn't produce but that we need so much - we probably cannot 'support' the thyroid itself to produce more.

I have been hypothyroid for well over 20 years (and possibly longer before diagnosis). It is a condition which it is said that up to 1/3rd of the population have or will have - and it is severely underdiagnosed and in most cases undertreated. You won't find me in disagreement about the issues that surround this condition at all - and I will also say that I think the treatment that works for any two people is likely very different so I won't argue that any one kind of treatment is best for everyone at all. Not all patients respond to natural thyroid or natural thyroid alone. (and even finding a doctor who will even go to natural thyroid/Armour, etc. is pretty darned hard to do.)

Despite the prevalence there are very few doctors who actually know much about hypothyroidism, how to gauge what treatment will work best for a particular patient, and even more annoyingly how much of it to prescribe even if they are willing to. The scale for TSH has also changed over the years but I have found that many doctors are not even aware of that! It used to be 5 and is now 3. And the optimum dosage should take you close to (but not at or below) 1 (because at that point you get into issues with hyperthyroid-like problems. Borderline cases are usually told they are absolutely fine, nothing to worry about - and often not even monitored to see if there is any change over time. And many doctors just ask for a TSH rather than a full panel.

I made a big mistake with all this years ago - when I found a doctor who was so into the 'iodine' thing (he has written many articles about using iodine, preferably with no other standard treatments, and he sold Iodide by the case load to many patients). I thought I would try out his protocol and it was awful - made me very ill! Instead, like all hypothyroid patients I merely use ONLY iodized salt - which is now sorely lacking in many people's diets (particularly if you eat out a lot or eat processed foods).

I used to take Levoxyl - and it did well for me but then they were out of production for several years and I was forced onto Synthroid which is ok but not the best for me - still haven't found a doctor who will talk about Armour (but I will try it if I come across one - but not take that exclusively .. I know the results if something doesn't work - not going there again if I can help it), and try to follow some (what I think is good) dietary advice to avoid all cruciferous/goiterogenic vegetables (as much as possible .. love them so I moderate and always eat them cooked late in the day), and avoid SOY like the plague, etc.
The current MD's are all brainwashed by Synthroid and Syn supports medical schools financially. Before Syn, it was only desiccated and docs gave theraputic doses to those with long lists of symptoms...there were no labs before the 70's. Then patients reported back and MD's up dosed to where a patient felt more optimal with their health and symptoms.

I went 10 yrs and could never get supported and now believe I was iodine/iodide deficient then too.

As I said there were lawsuits early on with the Armour and Syn organizations.

I see only integrative MD's and can't certainly swear by all of them, but the ones I've seen for the last 15 yrs or so, work only with desiccated.

On the iodine, one needs iodide/iodine combo like Lugols and Iodoral. I use Iosol which contains both...I've never gotten sick. Today I took an upper dose of about 8mg. I up dose some days for extra energy.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:21 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
No .. sorry, jaminhealth .. I don't think you are correct. I object to what you are saying because you make it sound as though YOUR way is the ONLY or even BEST way for everyone else too. That is what YOU do and that is fine - happy if it works for YOU, but, I guarantee it won't for everyone. You are coming off as a quack yourself and that doesn't do anyone any good. This is a serious condition and if you do that, you could hurt others who won't get the right attention that they need. Please be more careful about what you say so it doesn't sound as though this the ONLY treatment that would work for everyone.

The only thing I agree with here is that Synthroid IS pushed to doctors - no doubt about that! In Canada one cannot get anything BUT synthroid.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:30 PM

I speak only from my personal experience and my long battle starting in 1991. It's been a long road for me and enough folks I've met along the way.

There are major differences in the US and Canada regulations. I know I take DHEA for years and from my friends in Canada, it's a script up there...otc here. They can't take it on their own only by a doctor.

I didn't know one cannot get desiccated in Canada. I thought Efra was similar to Armour.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A pig thyroid is more natural than Synthetics to our human bodies. Humans are more like animals than the lab synthetics. Many people even give their pets some of their supplements.

I wasn't born with synthetics in my body, I don't think I was.

I think I've read somewhere that pigs are pretty smart animals.
Synthroid is exactly the same hormone your own body used to make.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Synthroid is exactly the same hormone your own body used to make.
I don't believe that. How can a synthetic be exactly as our body is.

Bottom line, whatever people want to use, then use them. I know what works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.