Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

http://www.newswise.com/articles/hyp...al-blood-tests

So Many could be on the Wrong Thyroid Support. I started on this HypoT path in 1991 and finally got support in 2002. Today, it's about the numbers and NOT the person's symptoms. There are some 69 HypoT symptoms.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:21 PM

I'm blood type B, but for me I went 10 long miserable years since my numbers were good according to the doctors and labs. So they kept pushing anti depressants on me and not fixing the thyroid. So many doctors just don't know how to help their patients.

More and more I hear about the numbers and how people are supported or not supported by the numbers.

We are all unique and so many symptoms with HypoT.

Years back before labs, doctors went purely by patient's symptoms and started with theraputic doses of desiccated thyroid and then went from there. Many still are suffering from the numbers and not their body's symptoms.

Last edited by toosie; 10-21-2016 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Deleted quote from deleted post

Old 10-22-2016, 09:32 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
I'd like to have one of those more in-depth thyroid tests, or whatever they're called, because my TSH is "fine" but I still feel like crap so much of the time. But my insurance has changed and we have to pay a lot more than we used to, so.....*sigh*

Old 10-22-2016, 10:20 PM

If I knew back in 1991 when I first suspected a sluggish thyroid and not getting it corrected due to the NUMBERS...I would have taken a low dose of Iodine which I take now but also take thyroid support since 2002. It's so very very complex and there is so much info on how the thyroid gland needs iodine to function. I am learning so much about how vital iodine is for all body tissues. I've posted a lot of info in alternative medicine and one can read all day about the iodine connection to about everything in our body. I'm learning more and more how numbers don't tell anything, we are not numbers we are symptoms.

I went for 10 yrs before my D.O. called in for thyroid support, NO LABS...he knew the numbers were about worthless.

If I were in your shoes and can't get more testing, etc. I would start with 1 drop of Iosol or Lugols and see how you feel and go from there. Or start with some organic kelp as some do before they step to iodine.

https://chriskresser.com/iodine-for-...ine-on-a-fire/

As in Kresser's info, I also take 200mcg selenium daily.

I keep getting amazed with all the info out there on the need for iodine. I speak from a long experience on my own issues.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-22-2016 at 10:43 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 01:06 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
I take generic synthroid for my hypothyroidism. Works great.

Iodine Deficiency - American Thyroid Association

"Taking too much iodine can also cause problems. This is especially true in individuals that already have thyroid problems, such as nodules, hyperthyroidism and autoimmune thyroid disease. Administration of large amounts of iodine through medications (ie Amiodarone), radiology procedures (iodinated intravenous dye) and dietary excess (Dulce, kelp) can cause or worsen hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
In addition, individuals who move from an iodine-deficient region (for example, parts of Europe) to a region with adequate iodine intake (for example, the United States) may also develop thyroid problems since their thyroids have become very good at taking up and using small amounts of iodine. In particular, these patients may develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism."

Iodine: How Much is Too Much? | Paleo Leap

"In healthy people, iodine deficiency is clearly related to hypothyroid disorders, and adequate iodine intake is preventative. But too much of a good thing is not necessarily better. This study*, for example, found that iodine overnutrition also contributed to autoimmune thyroid disorders and hypothyroidism. And this study* found a positive association between consumption of seaweed (a rich source of iodine) and thyroid cancer in Japanese women."

*Links to sources in the statement in quotes are at the link.

How much iodine is too much? | Reuters

"Less is known about how much iodine is too much. So for the new study, reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Chinese researchers randomly assigned healthy adults to take various doses of iodine supplements for four weeks.

They found that at relatively higher doses -- 400 micrograms a day and up -- study participants began developing what's called subclinical hypothyroidism.

That refers to a dip in the body's thyroid hormone levels, but with no obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism -- which include problems like fatigue, depression, dry skin and weight gain.

In this study, people taking 400-microgram supplements were getting around 800 micrograms of iodine per day when diet was factored in."

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-23-2016 at 01:25 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I take generic synthroid for my hypothyroidism. Works great.

Iodine Deficiency - American Thyroid Association

"Taking too much iodine can also cause problems. This is especially true in individuals that already have thyroid problems, such as nodules, hyperthyroidism and autoimmune thyroid disease. Administration of large amounts of iodine through medications (ie Amiodarone), radiology procedures (iodinated intravenous dye) and dietary excess (Dulce, kelp) can cause or worsen hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism.
In addition, individuals who move from an iodine-deficient region (for example, parts of Europe) to a region with adequate iodine intake (for example, the United States) may also develop thyroid problems since their thyroids have become very good at taking up and using small amounts of iodine. In particular, these patients may develop iodine-induced hyperthyroidism."

Iodine: How Much is Too Much? | Paleo Leap

"In healthy people, iodine deficiency is clearly related to hypothyroid disorders, and adequate iodine intake is preventative. But too much of a good thing is not necessarily better. This study*, for example, found that iodine overnutrition also contributed to autoimmune thyroid disorders and hypothyroidism. And this study* found a positive association between consumption of seaweed (a rich source of iodine) and thyroid cancer in Japanese women."

*Links to sources in the statement in quotes are at the link.

How much iodine is too much? | Reuters

"Less is known about how much iodine is too much. So for the new study, reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Chinese researchers randomly assigned healthy adults to take various doses of iodine supplements for four weeks.

They found that at relatively higher doses -- 400 micrograms a day and up -- study participants began developing what's called subclinical hypothyroidism.

That refers to a dip in the body's thyroid hormone levels, but with no obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism -- which include problems like fatigue, depression, dry skin and weight gain.

In this study, people taking 400-microgram supplements were getting around 800 micrograms of iodine per day when diet was factored in."

You mean SynCrap...that's what they call it on the thyroid support groups I've been a member of for many years. An edno attempted to get me off desiccated thryoid support and gave me Syn samples and I was falling over with FATIGUE...No way for this gal. The synthroid people really did a job on the population...there have been lawsuits years ago and plenty of people "in the know" and with good doctors still do very well on desiccated supports...before SynCrap, it was all desiccated supports. Read some of Dr. Broada Barnes history.

Syn contains only T4 and many many do not convert T4 to the needed T3.

I also follow Stop The Thyroid Madness book, author and blog.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You mean SynCrap...that's what they call it on the thyroid support groups I've been a member of for many years. An edno attempted to get me off desiccated thryoid support and gave me Syn samples and I was falling over with FATIGUE...No way for this gal. The synthroid people really did a job on the population...there have been lawsuits years ago and plenty of people "in the know" and with good doctors still do very well on desiccated supports...before SynCrap, it was all desiccated supports. Read some of Dr. Broada Barnes history.

Syn contains only T4 and many many do not convert T4 to the needed T3.

I also follow Stop The Thyroid Madness book, author and blog.
"Syn contains only T4 and many many do not convert T4 to the needed T3."

Many, many millions, like me, who do well on Synthroid, apparently have systems that happily convert T4 to T3, and we are in the majority. It's not all about you and the "thyroid support groups" you belong to.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:49 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
I felt terrible on the levothyroxine. Absolutely awful. Switched to natural desiccated thyroid and regained a lot of energy. I felt best when my TSH was borderline low but due to the focus on TSH, not symptoms, my doctor lowered my dose. I still feel better then I did pre-medicated but not as good as I felt when my TSH was borderline too low.

You are absolutely right, jamminhealth that it is a complicated issue.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I felt terrible on the levothyroxine. Absolutely awful. Switched to natural desiccated thyroid and regained a lot of energy. I felt best when my TSH was borderline low but due to the focus on TSH, not symptoms, my doctor lowered my dose. I still feel better then I did pre-medicated but not as good as I felt when my TSH was borderline too low.

You are absolutely right, jamminhealth that it is a complicated issue.
How is dried pig thyroid "natural" for a human, and levothyroxine, which is identical to human T4, not?

Old 10-23-2016, 01:21 PM

I know plenty of friends who were slapped with levo and couldn't get help for desiccated .. once they finally found an MD to help them, they felt so much better.

Ignorance is bliss for so so many.

How about history and the pig thyroid support.

The Syn pharma sales people line up in MD's office to dowel out the samples so the MD's can get their patients on this synthetic drug.

Everyone has their stories and believe what is best and helping them. As I said the Synthroid people did another great pharma job pushing their drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness