Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:36 PM

37,181 posts, read 41,377,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't believe that. How can a synthetic be exactly as our body is.

Because the two chemical molecules have exactly the same structure!

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...ne#section=Top

Old 10-23-2016, 04:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,785,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I see. Because the seller chooses to use "natural" in the product name, that makes it "natural".

Synthroid and generic levothyroxine are indeed identical molecules to the T4 produced by the human thyroid.

Levothyroxine – Drug Details

"Levothyroxine (also known as L-thyroxine) is a synthetic thyroid hormone and chiral compound in the L-form which is chemically identical to thyroxine – T4."

I object to calling dried pig thyroid as a "natural" replacement for human thyroid hormone.
No, you don't see. I call it NDT because that's it's name. You are the one who takes issue with the name and finds it offensive because it contains the word, "natural". I don't care what it's called but I will call it by it's name when describing it because that is what it's called. It works for me.

Does it really bother you that people have choices and that some have chosen NDT instead of Synthetic? To each their own.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:45 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,423,503 times
The problem I have with "standard" thyroid treatment is that it allows for no differences and is based almost entirely on TSH level which is overly simplistic. I would prefer a more individualized plan that also looks at FT3 and FT4 levels and how I feel. And having multiple combinations of hormones and their precursors helps. There are very few other health conditions with such limited treatment options and disregard for quality of life than hypo and hyperthyroidism, not to mention thyroid cancer.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No, you don't see. I call it NDT because that's it's name. You are the one who takes issue with the name and finds it offensive because it contains the word, "natural". I don't care what it's called but I will call it by it's name when describing it because that is what it's called. It works for me.

Does it really bother you that people have choices and that some have chosen NDT instead of Synthetic? To each their own.
"Natural" is the most abused word in the alternative medicine vocabulary.

"Synthetic" levothyroxine is more "natural" than pig thyroid for a human.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:06 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,353,734 times
Quote:
I felt terrible on the levothyroxine. Absolutely awful. Switched to natural desiccated thyroid and regained a lot of energy. I felt best when my TSH was borderline low but due to the focus on TSH, not symptoms, my doctor lowered my dose. I still feel better then I did pre-medicated but not as good as I felt when my TSH was borderline too low.

You are absolutely right, jamminhealth that it is a complicated issue.

I've been on levothyroxine since my thyroid was removed in 2013. I haven't felt so tired since I had newborn babies. I just had more blood work done last week when I was telling my doctor how I'm always cold and my temperature is always much lower than normal. I have a hard time sleeping and I never feel refreshed. I go back Wednesday to get the results and I plan on asking him about a different thyroid medication. However he is not an endocrinologist so I'm not sure how much he knows about thyroid issues and desiccated thyroid medication.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,805,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The problem I have with "standard" thyroid treatment is that it allows for no differences and is based almost entirely on TSH level which is overly simplistic. I would prefer a more individualized plan that also looks at FT3 and FT4 levels and how I feel. And having multiple combinations of hormones and their precursors helps. There are very few other health conditions with such limited treatment options and disregard for quality of life than hypo and hyperthyroidism, not to mention thyroid cancer.
I've had labs done since 1991 and always the MD's did the TSH, T3andT4 and one MD tested TPO antibodies. Hashi

One endo had me swallow water and said my thyroid was fine~~~~

One endo touched around my thyroid area and it is fine but you have Fibro!!!

One endo I had heard from my dental office who was supposed to be great and I was still working to get the "right" combination going for me. I had been on Armour already but thought I'd check him out...he pushed me off Armour and on Syn and I was falling over with fatigue. He got a hard letter from me and I did not pay him my copay I owed him.

I've been thru it and happy on the 120mg of Naturthroid NDT. Wonder why I have such distrust.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I've been on levothyroxine since my thyroid was removed in 2013. I haven't felt so tired since I had newborn babies. I just had more blood work done last week when I was telling my doctor how I'm always cold and my temperature is always much lower than normal. I have a hard time sleeping and I never feel refreshed. I go back Wednesday to get the results and I plan on asking him about a different thyroid medication. However he is not an endocrinologist so I'm not sure how much he knows about thyroid issues and desiccated thyroid medication.
As I posted about my experiences with endos....blah. Perhaps they're good with diabetics.

Being cold and low temp is HypoT, a little iodine would do good.

My best help is with integrative MD's and thyroid support groups and myself.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-23-2016 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 06:31 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,785,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"Natural" is the most abused word in the alternative medicine vocabulary.

"Synthetic" levothyroxine is more "natural" than pig thyroid for a human.
NDT has been used for more then 100 years and it requires a prescription from an MD I don't know why you refer to it as alternative medicine. What are you so mad about anyway? Does the name of this medicine offend you? I find your confrontational posts in this thread to be very strange.

Synthroid (Levothyroxine Sodium): Side Effects, Interactions, Warning, Dosage & Uses
Armour Thyroid (Thyroid tablets): Side Effects, Interactions, Warning, Dosage & Uses

Old 10-23-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
NDT has been used for more then 100 years and it requires a prescription from an MD I don't know why you refer to it as alternative medicine. What are you so mad about anyway? Does the name of this medicine offend you? I find your confrontational posts in this thread to be very strange.

Synthroid (Levothyroxine Sodium): Side Effects, Interactions, Warning, Dosage & Uses
Armour Thyroid (Thyroid tablets): Side Effects, Interactions, Warning, Dosage & Uses
The name of the product is deceptive.

Synthroid is more "natural" than dried up pig thyroid.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:16 PM

I've often wished the NDT was not a script as it would be easier for the patient to work on their dosing to get to where they are feeling GOOD. I did that along the way, running back to the doctor for every 1/4mg up dose is nuts. There is always Nutri-Med if a person cannot go the doctor due to finances etc. or if there were extreme shortages etc.

Options for Thyroid Treatment - Stop The Thyroid Madness

Back in 2002 timeframe when I finally got on NDT (Armour) a male friend was going thru the ordeal of getting his thyroid supported, he would bite off little pieces of a tab and go from there. He helped me a lot.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-23-2016 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.