Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 03:37 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,850,585 times

Advertisements

I'm on NDT and get my TSH tested every three months. I have not had wild fluctuations in TSH as has been suggested.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:47 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,903,084 times
I'm on NDT since 2002 and had labs every year, neglected to get labs in 2015 and now will get labs soon for 2016. At this for me, labs don't mean a thing. I take 120mg daily for probably last 8 yrs and I know my TSH is suppressed...so why. It's a bunch of numbers and it's all how a person feels. Basically I'm pretty good, not sick, except for aging and advanced OA and this hip mess. Learning to live with what is. My long time integrative MD got used to working with me and since she's on a medical issue for back problems, I see a new integrative MD next week. Hope she is easy to work with.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:17 PM

6,660 posts, read 5,072,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no way for ground up pig thyroid to be standardized. The amounts of hormone in it varies greatly from batch to batch. Every time you get more you could be getting a higher or lower dose than you got before.

That is why the real thyroid experts do not like to use it.
You seriously sound like a shill for the pharmaceutical companies If hormone amounts varied greatly from batch to batch, my lab results would vary greatly as well.

We get it - synthetic hormones work for YOU, and yes, others.

What you don't seem to get is that they don't work for EVERYONE.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:21 AM

37,359 posts, read 41,600,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You seriously sound like a shill for the pharmaceutical companies If hormone amounts varied greatly from batch to batch, my lab results would vary greatly as well.

The implication of the OP is that large numbers of people should be taking ground up pig thyroid.

http://www.british-thyroid-associati...mour_T4_T3.pdf

Old 10-28-2016, 07:04 AM

6,660 posts, read 5,072,180 times
Quote:
The implication of the OP is that large numbers of people should be taking ground up pig thyroid.

http://www.british-thyroid-associati...mour_T4_T3.pdf
The implication of the OP is that people should know there are other options out there.

The article you posted is 9 years old. Armour has been reformulated a few times, some good, some bad (and it's not the only drug that's had this issue).

Armour is not the only NDT out there and people who did well on it sometimes found they weren't doing well with a reformulation. It is probably not the "go to" NDT anymore but people tend to say Armour when they mean NDT in general, kind of like kleenex instead of tissue.

Some patients go on a straight T4 drug and then fine-tune their T3 requirements from there.

EVERYONE is different. Unfortunately mainstream medicine doesn't treat us that way.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:57 AM

11,265 posts, read 9,891,675 times
Quote:
There is no way for ground up pig thyroid to be standardized. The amounts of hormone in it varies greatly from batch to batch. Every time you get more you could be getting a higher or lower dose than you got before.

That is why the real thyroid experts do not like to use it.

As lunetunelover has pointed out, symptoms that persist after being placed on levothyroxine are usually not due to the hypothyroidism at all.
Bolded portion is completely untrue. I suggest going to the Forest Pharmaceuticals (maker of Armour thyroid AND levothroid which is a generic version of Synthroid) website and reading up on the fact that every batch is tested and individually titrated to ensure that the dosage is as stated. The makers of Synthroid, in fact, had a big scandal when their product actually contained incorrect dosages. Since that time they have corrected the problem and also test every batch.

The only real problem with dosages in Armour (I don't know about Naturthroid, never taken it) is that it comes in a limited number of dosages, and for people in between two standard strength tablets they must combine two tablets to equal the desired dose, as I do. I take a 2 grain (120mg) tablet plus a 15 mg tablet to equal a dose of 135 mg. Synthroid is measured in mcg and comes in many incremental doses, so the combining is not necessary, but for me Synthroid had very little effect on my symptoms and failed to keep my TSH, T3, and T4 levels within range, despite extensive experimentation with doses. So I went back to what has worked for me for 35+ years and now my numbers are stable and good once again.

Last edited by TheShadow; 10-28-2016 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-28-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:

Two thumbs up, for this post!

Old 10-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Have you been checked for fibromyalgia?
No, because on the proper dose of Armour my pains are reduced by about 90%, and I don't want a symptom of one disease to be construed as a separate disease requiring another med. I find the fewer meds I take, with the exception of my Armour, the better off I am. The only med or supplement I take long-term is Armour, I am nearly 60 and have had Hashi's for 35+ years. I also find that the lower my TSH the better I feel. I keep my TSH very close to zero and now I feel so much better than I did on Synthroid, so I know I'm on the right track. Over the years doctors have insisted that I try Synthroid or generic levothyroid and my numbers and symptoms spin out of control within a couple of months. I won't be bullied by a doctor to take "their" brand ever again. I'll just fire them and get a better doctor. I am the best, and only, judge of how I feel and whether or not I'm having symptoms.

I'm not a person who feels that we are going to go through life completely free of pain, and so I don't feel a need to treat every little ache or pain unless it persists or is extreme. Persistent or extreme pain is obviously a symptom of something wrong, but occasional soreness is nothing I get upset about.

Old 10-28-2016, 02:51 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,903,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No, because on the proper dose of Armour my pains are reduced by about 90%, and I don't want a symptom of one disease to be construed as a separate disease requiring another med. I find the fewer meds I take, with the exception of my Armour, the better off I am. The only med or supplement I take long-term is Armour, I am nearly 60 and have had Hashi's for 35+ years. I also find that the lower my TSH the better I feel. I keep my TSH very close to zero and now I feel so much better than I did on Synthroid, so I know I'm on the right track. Over the years doctors have insisted that I try Synthroid or generic levothyroid and my numbers and symptoms spin out of control within a couple of months. I won't be bullied by a doctor to take "their" brand ever again. I'll just fire them and get a better doctor. I am the best, and only, judge of how I feel and whether or not I'm having symptoms.

I'm not a person who feels that we are going to go through life completely free of pain, and so I don't feel a need to treat every little ache or pain unless it persists or is extreme. Persistent or extreme pain is obviously a symptom of something wrong, but occasional soreness is nothing I get upset about.
I also have a TSH close to zero and T3andT4 at higher ends of range. This is what Stop The Thyroid Madness book and blog say is optimal for best health.

I take 120mg NT actually 130mg as 1 grain is 65mg. Overall I'm OK but my major challenge is from a mess due to hip replacement and left with 3 major complications. I was not one of the surgeon's happy results.

There are many options and to think Syn/levo is the miracle drug, good grief. We have no clue about the millions taking this drug and just how they are doing. Some don't even know they aren't doing well. How many hang around thyroid support groups? Handfuls of people. Not the masses.

I went to NP thyroid after Armour raised their prices due to ownership changes, then NP prices went nuts now I'm hanging with NT as it's the best price for me.

I enjoyed your comments.

PS: A member posted that 21.5 million use Syn and are doing well. How can anyone know about 21.5million and how they are doing. I've hung around thyroid support groups and handfuls as well, not millions. I've heard a lot of stories from members.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-28-2016 at 03:04 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 05:58 PM

37,359 posts, read 41,600,072 times
Quote:
The implication of the OP is that people should know there are other options out there.

The article you posted is 9 years old. Armour has been reformulated a few times, some good, some bad (and it's not the only drug that's had this issue).

Armour is not the only NDT out there and people who did well on it sometimes found they weren't doing well with a reformulation. It is probably not the "go to" NDT anymore but people tend to say Armour when they mean NDT in general, kind of like kleenex instead of tissue.

Some patients go on a straight T4 drug and then fine-tune their T3 requirements from there.

EVERYONE is different. Unfortunately mainstream medicine doesn't treat us that way.
The British doctors still do not prescribe desiccated thyroid.

EVERYONE is more alike than different. Levothyroxine is available in about a dozen dose strengths, specifically in order to titrate for each patient. The FDA even requires that the potency of drug in each tablet be within a very narrow range, narrower than for other drugs.

This is less than a year old.

Armour and a lot of unhappy thyroid patients...all over again! - Stop The Thyroid Madness

Do you have a source that tells how the T3 and T4 content of any desiccated thyroid product is standardized?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/854987_4

"According to an FDA spokesman for the Division of Metabolism and Endocrinology products, the USP monograph is a minimal quality standard and has no effect on products coming in for approval. Knowledge of whether a manufacturer is meeting the USP expectations would rely on surveillance and inspection. The FDA could not supply evidence of this in regard to thyroid extract products and stated that to date, no independent verification of the thyroid hormone content in these products is known to the FDA (Personal Communication, Kristofer Baumgartner, CDER Trade Press office, FDA; February 2, 2015)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness