Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The British doctors still do not prescribe desiccated thyroid.

EVERYONE is more alike than different. Levothyroxine is available in about a dozen dose strengths, specifically in order to titrate for each patient. The FDA even requires that the potency of drug in each tablet be within a very narrow range, narrower than for other drugs.

This is less than a year old.

Armour and a lot of unhappy thyroid patients...all over again! - Stop The Thyroid Madness

Do you have a source that tells how the T3 and T4 content of any desiccated thyroid product is standardized?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/854987_4

"According to an FDA spokesman for the Division of Metabolism and Endocrinology products, the USP monograph is a minimal quality standard and has no effect on products coming in for approval. Knowledge of whether a manufacturer is meeting the USP expectations would rely on surveillance and inspection. The FDA could not supply evidence of this in regard to thyroid extract products and stated that to date, no independent verification of the thyroid hormone content in these products is known to the FDA (Personal Communication, Kristofer Baumgartner, CDER Trade Press office, FDA; February 2, 2015)."
Your mention about Armour is due mostly to the out of sight price hikes. For years that I took it it was far far less than Syn and we were all happy and then they changed formulations and this latest is a change in company ownership. I'd still be taking it IF it were more affordable.

All pharma prices are crazy. Everytime I go to pick up my BP meds, I hold my breath and look at the price very slowly. Ah, another refill and no big increase, I say.

As for the British, they have their own regulations for their country. NDT has been around the U.S. from day 1.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-28-2016 at 06:21 PM..

Old 10-28-2016, 06:17 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You seriously sound like a shill for the pharmaceutical companies If hormone amounts varied greatly from batch to batch, my lab results would vary greatly as well.

We get it - synthetic hormones work for YOU, and yes, others.

What you don't seem to get is that they don't work for EVERYONE.
Bears repeating.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:34 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I also have a TSH close to zero and T3 andT4 at higher ends of range. This is what Stop The Thyroid Madness book and blog say is optimal for best health.

I take 120mg NT actually 130mg as 1 grain is 65mg. Overall I'm OK but my major challenge is from a mess due to hip replacement and left with 3 major complications. I was not one of the surgeon's happy results.

There are many options and to think Syn/levo is the miracle drug, good grief. We have no clue about the millions taking this drug and just how they are doing. Some don't even know they aren't doing well. How many hang around thyroid support groups? Handfuls of people. Not the masses.

I went to NP thyroid after Armour raised their prices due to ownership changes, then NP prices went nuts now I'm hanging with NT as it's the best price for me.

I enjoyed your comments.

PS: A member posted that 21.5 million use Syn and are doing well. How can anyone know about 21.5million and how they are doing. I've hung around thyroid support groups and handfuls as well, not millions. I've heard a lot of stories from members.
A TSH close to zero means you are very possibly hyperthyroid and taking too much.

How many million people with hypothyroidism have you talked to?

There is a reason the standard of care for hypothyroidism is not ground up pig thyroid.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:59 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
haha! Now we know you're grasping at straws. STTM exists specifically to inform people of the other options out there. Yes, there have been issues with Armour specifically and their reformulations. I may have mentioned it in one of my prior posts.

I suggest you read the "Options" link on that very page. It sounds like you don't realize that Armour is ONE brand of NDT and there are many others. So even though Armour has had formulation issues, there are still a number of NDT choices. Like anything else, some people do better on one brand of NDT vs another.

I would suggest you poke around on STTM a bit with an open mind.

Here is an article for you by a doctor. Why Natural Thyroid is Better than Synthetic - Jeffrey Dach MD

Here is another great article written by a pharmacist. It goes into a lot of history Why Doctors Don't Like Armour, T3 or Nature-Throid | Thyroid Pharmacist

Again, it's fine if you're happy on a synthetic. Kudos! And it's also fine if you're not willing to think that maybe, just maybe, you'd be even better on NDT. I have a family member like that. She takes what her doctor prescribes and believes fully it's the best thing for her. I give her options, she can take them or leave them. Her choice and we don't argue about it.

As you can see, even in this tiny thread, there are people for whom synthetics don't work. Why argue? Most of them, like myself, have tried both and gone with what WORKS for US.

It's pretty simple actually.

We haven't even touched on adrenals, the B12 issue and hormones!!

<edit> I just saw your latest post. My TSH is also close to zero and trust me, I am nowhere near hyper. I wish I was, I'd have less butt! LOL My heart rate is the lowest its been in a few years. My blood pressure and cholesterol are perfect. NDT is a pituitary suppressant so it will lower TSH.

You realize NDT has been around since the 1800s? Drug companies make more on their synthetics. Pharmaceuticals are all about profit, not making people better. They don't make money if people are healthy!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
A TSH close to zero means you are very possibly hyperthyroid and taking too much.

How many million people with hypothyroidism have you talked to?

There is a reason the standard of care for hypothyroidism is not ground up pig thyroid.

I am not hyper, and again we are not numbers as pharma has made great designs for us to be.

We are symptoms as we were supported before Syn and the labs hit the people.

I have not talked to millions and you say 21.5 million do well, how do you know that.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:45 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I am not hyper, and again we are not numbers as pharma has made great designs for us to be.

We are symptoms as we were supported before Syn and the labs hit the people.

I have not talked to millions and you say 21.5 million do well, how do you know that.
Why would 21.5 million people be filling prescriptions for something that did not work?

Old 10-28-2016, 10:09 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Why would 21.5 million people be filling prescriptions for something that did not work?
Do you read what we write? It's like talking to a wall here.

For some it works.
For others, it's all they're offered.
Others are told it's the best they're going to feel.

Do you know that some people are diagnosed as depressed and given anti depressants when they really need thyroid or adrenal support? Before you ask why, it's because symptoms overlap and doctors who go by TSH only may not pick up a thyroid issue. I "had my thyroid tested" for many years before a doctor ran the right tests and found I had Hashi's.

One might then ask "why do people take anti depressants when they need thyroid support?"

Because they trust a doctor that gives them the wrong info. Draw a conclusion from that. After this I throw in the towel and hit that ignore button.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Do you read what we write? It's like talking to a wall here.

For some it works.
For others, it's all they're offered.
Others are told it's the best they're going to feel.

Do you know that some people are diagnosed as depressed and given anti depressants when they really need thyroid or adrenal support? Before you ask why, it's because symptoms overlap and doctors who go by TSH only may not pick up a thyroid issue. I "had my thyroid tested" for many years before a doctor ran the right tests and found I had Hashi's.

One might then ask "why do people take anti depressants when they need thyroid support?"

Because they trust a doctor that gives them the wrong info. Draw a conclusion from that. After this I throw in the towel and hit that ignore button.
Boy that is the truth, so many are trapped in HMO's and conventional MD's and again believe their md's and do not go to the out of the conventional box of healing.

An example just came to mind...I have a bridge friend who is HMO patient and taking Syn and her hands are always icy cold and I've been saying to her for as long as I know her, it's your thyroid-- you are not getting enough or on wrong med. And also this woman does not sleep, she is up every hour during the night. So I don't know how she carries on. But won't wander out of HMO world. I'd venture to say MOST are like her and not doing research etc on improving issues.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:26 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
I can't speak for all 21.5 million people, but I kept filling my prescription for Synthroid, for 10 years, because I didn't know there were other options. I've been on a combination of NDT + a low dose Synthroid (tweaked a few times) for the past several months, prescribed by my MD. I FINALLY feel better! Why are you so opposed to people having options, and working with their doctor to find what works best for THEM?

I must say, as someone whose career was in medical laboratory science, I have appreciated and agreed with many of your posts about health topics on other threads, but you are off the mark on this one. I don't understand your closed-mindedness on this topic.

Please answer me this: Do you really think I should go back to my MD, tell her "I read SuzyQ's posts online, she thinks every hypothyroid patient should be on Synthroid, and not ground up pig thyroid. So would you please put me back on Synthroid alone, even though I didn't feel good on it for 10 years." ??? If you think that is what I should do, please convince me why. if not, then please stop attacking those of us who are trying to educate others about NDT.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:44 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
SuzyQ - My near-zero TSH in no way indicates that I am hyperT. I am obese, although currently losing weight slowly on a 1000 calorie per day diet approved by my MD. My resting heart rate at EVERY doctor appointment for the last 5 years is 58-60 BPM. My body temp is 97.0 to 97.3. My T3 and T4 are well within the proper range, and they are tested every 6 months by my MD. If anything, I could be considered still a little hypo by my symptoms, but my numbers are the best they have ever been in 35+years. Believe me, if I was out of range my MD would be on me like white on rice! She's a great doctor, on the younger side so not so entrenched in the pharma establishment, and she is EXTREMELY thorough.

Every medical case is different. What works for patient A, could have no effect on patient B. It happens all the time with many other meds, not just thyroid. Why do you think they have so many different brands of anti-depressants? Because some work for some people, and others work for others. It's that simple, and thyroid meds are no exception. Synthroid may work beautifully for millions others, but not for me. I have over 35 years of personal experience to back up my position. Take what works for you and leave others alone. I don't try to prescribe medications for other people, why should you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.