Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times

Advertisements

Don't you think a 50 year old man without a spleen should have a regular doctor?
Everybody was so casual about the fact he had been bitten.
They were impatient at the ER and I can certainly relate. Wait times are ridiculous.
He should have said yes to the antibiotic shot the first time.
He's very fortunate he made it. Interesting case.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rainbow&wpmm=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
you know some folks in this here world have no common sense . any dog bite should be thoroughly cleaned and yes a tetnus shot if nothing else . I don't fool around with dog bites at all . my friend joy had a dog bite her and she lost her finger because osteo mellitus set in because the stupid dr sewed the bite up with out a drain tube so she lost her finger and they never thought to check for a broken bone and infection set in . Yes the dog bit her so hard he broke her finger . I told her to go see a lawyer for the dog owner and the dr . she cleaned up and is sitting pretty now. The dog owner was held responsible for the bite and the dog was subsequently put down because this was not his first bite . The dr was a foreigner and claimed he did not understand us when we spoke ,a lie so he lost his license and the insurance company paid Joy off and she can no longer speak about the case but I can . I hope this man sues the treatment giver and the dog owner .

Old 06-20-2017, 01:49 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
you know some folks in this here world have no common sense . any dog bite should be thoroughly cleaned and yes a tetnus shot if nothing else . I don't fool around with dog bites at all . my friend joy had a dog bite her and she lost her finger because osteo mellitus set in because the stupid dr sewed the bite up with out a drain tube so she lost her finger and they never thought to check for a broken bone and infection set in . Yes the dog bit her so hard he broke her finger . I told her to go see a lawyer for the dog owner and the dr . she cleaned up and is sitting pretty now. The dog owner was held responsible for the bite and the dog was subsequently put down because this was not his first bite . The dr was a foreigner and claimed he did not understand us when we spoke ,a lie so he lost his license and the insurance company paid Joy off and she can no longer speak about the case but I can . I hope this man sues the treatment giver and the dog owner .
Sue the treatment giver?

Did you read the article??

The patient refused the antibiotics....he went to the ED but left without being seen...never told the "treatment givers" that he had a splenectomy....may not have even told the ED staff that he had a dog bite

Yeah he should definitely "sue somebody ".....it's the American Way after all

Old 06-20-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Sue the treatment giver?

Did you read the article??

The patient refused the antibiotics....he went to the ED but left without being seen...never told the "treatment givers" that he had a splenectomy....may not have even told the ED staff that he had a dog bite

Yeah he should definitely "sue somebody ".....it's the American Way after all
well you misunderstand me , what I was saying was that the staff or someone should have been asking more in depth questions and yes both or all parties bear some responsibility in this fiasco .

Old 06-20-2017, 11:01 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:

That's a crazy story did she get treatment in the ER or an urgent care? Didn't she notice the finger was not getting better it takes awhile for a bone to get infected doesn't happen overnight. My MIL had her face torn open from a cocker spaniel she was holding they had just gotten it from a rescue she didn't know any better not to put her face close to a dog's face it actually tore it so bad you could see inside her mouth. She went to the ER they called a plastic surgeon who was on call you can't even tell it ever happend today this was in the 1980's. The plastic Surgeon did a good job fixing it.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
That's a crazy story did she get treatment in the ER or an urgent care? Didn't she notice the finger was not getting better it takes awhile for a bone to get infected doesn't happen overnight. My MIL had her face torn open from a cocker spaniel she was holding they had just gotten it from a rescue she didn't know any better not to put her face close to a dog's face it actually tore it so bad you could see inside her mouth. She went to the ER they called a plastic surgeon who was on call you can't even tell it ever happend today this was in the 1980's. The plastic Surgeon did a good job fixing it.

She got treated at a local clinic by a foreign dr this was back in the 80s too . Her medical insurance told her to go to a local clinic and get treated they told her not to use the er ....yeah insurance companies were like that back then some anyways , not all. I told her the finger did not look good and to me it was not healing but she said she was okay and she would take care of it .

Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
well you misunderstand me , what I was saying was that the staff or someone should have been asking more in depth questions and yes both or all parties bear some responsibility in this fiasco .
What part of your last line " I hope the man sues the treatment giver" did I misunderstand?

As for the staff asking more " in depth questions "....I have no doubt the treatment team would have done exactly that IF THE MAN DID NOT LEAVE BEFORE BEING SEEN

No I don't think I misunderstood anything you wrote

Old 06-21-2017, 01:22 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
One thing that jumps out at me about this situation is that it highlights how important it is to have another individual with you who can be your advocate. At one point, his wife left the ED for several hours to go home, and it was during that timeframe that he erroneously told staff he had received a flu shot (as opposed to a tetanus shot) and failed to mention the dog bite at all, both critical pieces of information. It's possible this misinformation was because his mental state was becoming altered, but had his wife been there, she could have given a more accurate account.

I think most of the missteps here fall on the patient- not disclosing his splenectomy, refusing the initially recommended antibiotics at the Urgent Care and, most notably, leaving the hospital based ED AMA.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
this happened in the UK so suing anybody is going to be difficult. Most of the burden lies on the patient and his wife, as mentioned above.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:32 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
this happened in the UK so suing anybody is going to be difficult. Most of the burden lies on the patient and his wife, as mentioned above.
The UK referenced in the article is the University of Kentucky Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness