Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 09:26 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times

Advertisements

I'm 42. In the last 3-4 yrs, my hair has gotten noticeably thinner. My hair's always been EXTREMELY long...still is, but definitely not as thick as it used to be. I'm almost afraid to brush it because a lot of strands come out.

I don't know why. My diet's the same, I haven't gone through anything healthwise at the time the thinning started.

I don't want to have to get Rogaine or anything like that. I'd like to do some all-natural methods, if they really work.

Anyone have any ideas, please? Thanks!

A little background info if it matters:

- I've always gotten dandruff & never found any shampoo that really helps it
- I have a lot of scaly skin on my scalp, so I should exfoliate it more or something
- I've dyed my hair regularly for a good 15 years now w/ mostly non-ammonia dye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 09:51 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
This web site may answer your questions. My wife's hair started thinning after menopause, but there are many other reasons as this web site states.
21 Causes of Hair Loss - Health.com

Old 07-28-2017, 10:14 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
My hair got really thin for a while. The things that help disguise it are cutting it shorter and adding some layers, highlighting or bleaching to a lighter color (hides pink scalp better), and wearing bangs and wide headbands. Part your hair on one side of your forehead, swoop the bangs across your forehead, tuck behind your ear. Put the headband on and arrange it to hide anywhere that the part shows, then untuck your hair from behind your ear and fluff up the hair behind the hairband. You can also use volumizing shampoo, conditioner and mousse, and blow dry your hair to help add volume.

As far as treating it, I took biotin and a multivitamin every morning and just had to wait it out. It was very thin for about a year and then started to grow back it. It's not as thick as it used to be, but it looks like enough hair without a lot of fuss.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:18 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,211,073 times
I was a bit older than you (late 50's)when my pony tail started looking more like a rat's tail.
Cut it short since the same styles looked ridiculous and then went into ignore status.
Leap ahead 15 years
The last year it's been worse and was told about Biotin.
I will credit Biotin with stopping any more loss, although, unfortunately, I read it will not do anything to reverse.
I wish I knew about it sooner. This doesn't mean I'm sure it would have helped but the indication is there. It may depend on the reason for the loss.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:31 AM

924 posts, read 1,678,443 times
It could be psoriasis. I'd see a dermatologist.

If you have fatigue or other bizarre seemingly unrelated symptoms as well, I'd still see the dermatologist but also go to your PC.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 AM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
Thanks guys, I used to take a kind of hair, skin, & nails vitamin eons ago, but I probably didn't take it long enough to see any difference. Maybe I should try it again these days.

I sure don't want my hair to get any thinner!!! Any other suggestions?

Dragonmam, what's PC?

Old 07-29-2017, 10:49 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
The first thing I would do is cut it shorter. The weight of your hair now is not helping the situation.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 AM

130,456 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
It could be psoriasis. I'd see a dermatologist.

If you have fatigue or other bizarre seemingly unrelated symptoms as well, I'd still see the dermatologist but also go to your PC.

I agree, I had a rash on my head & the dr gave me some medicated shampoo, which helps & hair is slightly thicker, although not as much as I want.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:24 AM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Dragonmam, what's PC?
Primary care physician.

Do you wear your hair in a pony tail a lot? Continual pulling cause hair loss. But I second seeing your doctor. Hair loss can be thyroid -- that's why mine has thinned, alopecia...There's a lot of things it could be...

I'm not a fan of hair products but I'm using Pureology blow dry amplifier. It's a clear liquid, and you use a small amount, like a dime size. Run it through your wet hair, blow dry. Your hair isn't crunchy, it's soft and you can run a brush though it, but fuller. Doesn't feel coated or sticky. Cruelty free, too.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:25 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Also, if you do not have an annual physical, be sure to get one. A failing thyroid gland can cause hair loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness