Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

My right knee started to "talk" to me when I was 57 and I'm 79. And just went thru a nasty knee infection and didn't walk at all for 2.5 months as the MD's didn't do their job good as I see it. But home now and infection cured from two months abx drugs, I'm just so thankful I live in a small one level apt. I feel too, my body got messed up after hip replacement in 2010.

Now my mother died at 91 and never any surgeries and plenty of OA and a three story house...she told us later that she had fallen down the cellar steps and hurt her ribs...

Then with years she had to about crawl upstairs to the bedroom/bathroom and come down the steps on her bum...good thing she had carpeting on stairs....

My sister and her husband always had 3 story houses in the East and with sister's advancing MS and brother in law's knee the FINALLY went to one stop senior community. Sis lost her battle late last year at 68 but the last couple yrs they got around in one story house.

Now when my 91 yr old friend had a knee replacement at 86, she finally did this as she could no longer climb and go down the 16 some steps to her upstairs one level large apt.

One never knows how we will end up but with these cases, one story is the only way to go.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-24-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
We are in our early sixties and bought a single story home simply because there are more of them in FL.

I ran up and down stairs for >40 years until we moved. Five years without stairs have not created a weight gain or mobility issues. You are either active or not, with or without stairs.

I would caution those saying to just move when it's a problem. If you have an apartment that may be easier but selling a house is not. Twenty years in the future goes by in a flash. I don't think of it as resignation as much as being proactive if people are concerned about stairs. Doing anything in haste or because you don't have a choice is never a plan.

I didn't give much thought about having or not having stairs. Now that we don't have any, I appreciate the many advantages of a single story over any exercise value of a house with stairs.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-24-2017 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 10:30 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My right knee started to "talk" to me when I was 57 and I'm 79. And just went thru a nasty knee infection and didn't walk at all for 2.5 months as the MD's didn't do their job good as I see it. But home now and infection cured from two months abx drugs, I'm just so thankful I live in a small one level apt. I feel too, my body got messed up after hip replacement in 2010.

Now my mother died at 91 and never any surgeries and plenty of OA and a three story house...she told us later that she had fallen down the cellar steps and hurt her ribs...

Then with years she had to about crawl upstairs to the bedroom/bathroom and come down the steps on her bum...good thing she had carpeting on stairs....

Now when my 91 yr old friend had a knee replacement at 86, she finally did this as she could no longer climb and go down the 16 some steps to her upstairs one level large apt.

One never knows how we will end up but with these cases, one story is the only way to go.
All of these examples are far beyond the age that many start to worry about mobility. Again, if you are at an advanced age or have a true medical issue, deciding to live in a place which can work with that makes sense.

But if you are healthy, anticipating an issue that may never come to pass decades before just boggles my mind. Not everyone ends up immobilized. And I would argue that the advances in medicine available in 2017 far surpass those of even a few decades ago. In 20 years, it will be further still. People are living longer, healthier lives. Why all this attention to infirmity before it needs to be considered? Some may say its caution, but it seems more like pessimism.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:37 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
All of these examples are far beyond the age that many start to worry about mobility.
So how old does someone have to be before it's OK in your book for them to worry about possible future loss of mobility?

Old 08-24-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
So how old does someone have to be before it's OK in your book for them to worry about possible future loss of mobility?
70? Maybe late 60s. Not 40, 50, or 60. And certainly not in their 20s or 30s.

This is arbitrary. Life expectancy is rising:

Humans Will Live Even Longer in 2050, Scientists Predict - ABC News

It may be in ten years that most people are generally healthy way into their 70s. Who knows. To me, 65 is still not "old" but to many, 40 is ancient. It depends on your perspective.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:43 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I would caution those saying to just move when it's a problem. If you have an apartment that may be easier but selling a house is not.
I learned that last year when I sold my own house. Moving (especially if it also involves downsizing, as my move did) is a TON of work! I can't imagine doing that move at age 80.

I may move again in the future, but at least it won't be because my condo won't work for aging in place.

Quote:
I never gave thought about having or not having stairs. Now that we don't have any, I appreciate the advantages.
Multi-story houses are popular because they allow more square footage on the same lot. But if you only need a modest-sized place, why go with a multi-story home? It's easy enough to get exercise in other ways besides climbing stairs.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:50 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
And more than EVER people are lining up for hip and knee replacements even starting in their 40's....if one can make it to their 80's and beyond, that is HUGEEEE. I'm limping and living with a knee that MAYBE could be better if replaced, but MAYBE not. I've been in rehabs so much in recent months, I can't go again and will decide when it might be good for me to do the knee. Having 3 complications from hip replacement speaks volumes about surgery outcomes.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
It makes me really sad to see posts like this. Its one thing to be safety conscious, but seriously? This is like saying you should never have a bathtub because you can drown, a bed because you can suffocate under the covers, etc.

Come on guys.
What is wrong with this? As people age arthritis kicks in no matter how healthy you have been. Back problems, weak joints, brittle bones. It makes sense to want to just stay on one floor.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:54 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If someone is going to be buying a house to live out the rest of their lives in why should it matter? And loss of mobility can happen at any age no matter how healthy one is.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And more than EVER people are lining up for hip and knee replacements even starting in their 40's....if one can make it to their 80's and beyond, that is HUGEEEE. I'm limping and living with a knee that MAYBE could be better if replaced, but MAYBE not. I've been in rehabs so much in recent months, I can't go again and will decide when it might be good for me to do the knee. Having 3 complications from hip replacement speaks volumes about surgery outcomes.
I don't know a single person who has had a knee replacement in their 40s or 50s. Much less a hip replacement. I have a colleague who used to play semi professional sports and is having knee surgery at 61. But that is me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness