Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times

Advertisements

Lavender oil.

Also, have you tried holding an ice cube to your temple. One son uses dark chocolate, and eats a square when he gets a migraine.

Online there are many sites that have various suggestions. I think it is very individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 05:42 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
I've been reading amazing results with Copaiba oil!!

Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
please ,please be careful with essential oils . I have a friend who is deathly allergic to essential oils and the reason she knows is because she was at a trade show and the lady dabbed some on her wrist and she started to feel hot and then she felt like she was going to faint . she said well maybe it was something else well she went somewhere else a year later and someone dabbed her again and again she felt hot and dizzy and she now knows she cannot do essential oils . Please , please be careful with those oils .

Old 11-10-2017, 06:55 AM

543 posts, read 702,926 times
My wife always falls for this kind of stuff. Salt lamps, oils, and on an on. Our closets are full of junk she's bought over the years. I ask her what is wrong with you that you need to be healed of? No answer. She just wants to live longer. How bout quitting cigs and booz? It's all gypsy voodoo to me. When they give you a list of 50 unrelated ailments that these oils cure or even help with, you know it's bull.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post

My husband used to have REALLY bad headaches. Not quite migraines but almost. He also NEVER drank water...it was all Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper for him. I started encouraging him to drink water,
Thanks for the plant therapy recommendation...I found a roller of peppermint oil for about 8 bucks....YL rollers are 38 bucks.

Just sayin', though....Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper do count toward total water intake. What do you think they are made from? (I realize the sugar and acids are not good, but they are still mixed into....water.)

Old 11-10-2017, 10:30 AM

227 posts, read 247,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
My wife always falls for this kind of stuff. Salt lamps, oils, and on an on. Our closets are full of junk she's bought over the years. I ask her what is wrong with you that you need to be healed of? No answer. She just wants to live longer. How bout quitting cigs and booz? It's all gypsy voodoo to me. When they give you a list of 50 unrelated ailments that these oils cure or even help with, you know it's bull.
Chill. You sound so ignorant.

People who suffer from migraines will do ANYTHING to find relief. My migraines are so bad that I’m one of the few people in the country that has gotten migraine surgery, aka nerve decompression surgery. It really helped the severity and frequency, but I still live with daily headaches. I’ve been on every type of Rx you can get from a neurologist. I get Botox every 3 months. I got a massage yesterday with aromatherapy and it helped a lot.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:01 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I experiment with many Essential Oils primarily for arthritic pain. I don't use a diffuser but apply right on my knee. Frankinsence is a all around great oil. I buy mostly Now Foods brands.

The Best Essential Oils For Migraines & Headaches

Old 11-10-2017, 12:27 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Also, this may seem like a no-brainer, but making sure that you drink plenty of water is VERY important. Once I started making drinking tons of water a priority about 10 years ago, my (admittedly fairly mild/moderate) headaches pretty much completely went away. I can honestly count on one hand how many headaches I've had in the last decade, and they were mild enough that they went away with one ibuprofen. (I try to avoid medication like ibuprofen when I can avoid it, but I'm not against it, either. If I do happen to have a headache or menstrual cramps that won't go away with things like drinking a glass or two of water, using essential oils, taking a hot bath, etc., then I'll take one. If one doesn't work, I'll take a second in about an hour, but that never happens now that I'm no longer "dependent" on OTC meds.)
Yes, water intake is such a trigger. I also lowered my salt intake to 1,500 mg a day (meaning I eat mostly whole foods now) and my migraines with vertigo have lessened by at least 80%

Old 11-10-2017, 12:52 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I'll jump on the peppermint bandwagon. I have had migraines for 20 years or so and it really does help.

I haven't found any triggers for mine. The only thing that I can partially tie them to is that when I get into a routine, I have more of them than when I'm doing something new and different. a month of getting up in the morning, going to work, coming home, sleep, do it over again... I'll have more migraines than say a month where I take a vacation or something like that.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'll jump on the peppermint bandwagon. I have had migraines for 20 years or so and it really does help.

I haven't found any triggers for mine. The only thing that I can partially tie them to is that when I get into a routine, I have more of them than when I'm doing something new and different. a month of getting up in the morning, going to work, coming home, sleep, do it over again... I'll have more migraines than say a month where I take a vacation or something like that.
I agree on peppermint tea. A lot of times, if I have a headache I will make peppermint tea. I also like cinnamon or chamomile teas as well. I feel like I have A LOT of triggers. Some of the worst I’ve gotten are from dehydration or muscle tension, but I also have hormonal and weather change triggers as well. The weather change headaches come on quite suddenly and are obviously the hardest to do anything about.

If the weather is dry, I also have a humidifier I use at night where I will put in lavender, eucalyptus, or peppermint or a combination and it is quite helpful to help with sinus-related nighttime headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness