Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 PM

227 posts, read 249,519 times

Advertisements

I bought a diffuser and really need to buy good oils, as I want to use them for my migraines. I know the two popular oil companies are Young Living and doterra. Has anyone tried oils from those companies for their migraines? What were your thoughts? Are there other companies that compare to those two? I will say I love lavender and eucalyptus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,797,129 times
I've had a couple of people tell me that the peppermint is good for migraines.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,830,202 times
peppermint and lavender are a good combo for migraines.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:18 PM

282 posts, read 234,822 times
Young Living and doTerra are multi-level marketing scams. The prices are so expensive because many many layers of people are profiting from each product sold. The person who sells it to you is making at least 25% profit, the person who signed them up is making a percentage. The person who signed THAT person up is making a percentage. Then there are the bonuses that various levels earn if their own sales are at a certain percentage, and if they signed new people up, they get bonuses for that. In the end, a $40 bottle of oil is probably only worth 85 cents, and is not pure, likely isn't even from the source they claim it's from, and has been responsible for the death of smugglers and the deforestation of thousands of acres of land.

Here's the latest:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/essen...ons-pay-760000

Old 11-09-2017, 05:36 PM

227 posts, read 249,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmLizzie View Post
Young Living and doTerra are multi-level marketing scams. The prices are so expensive because many many layers of people are profiting from each product sold. The person who sells it to you is making at least 25% profit, the person who signed them up is making a percentage. The person who signed THAT person up is making a percentage. Then there are the bonuses that various levels earn if their own sales are at a certain percentage, and if they signed new people up, they get bonuses for that. In the end, a $40 bottle of oil is probably only worth 85 cents, and is not pure, likely isn't even from the source they claim it's from, and has been responsible for the death of smugglers and the deforestation of thousands of acres of land.

Here's the latest:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/essen...ons-pay-760000
That was my other issue. I thought the oils would be better if they were more expensive, but some told me that wasn’t true. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:42 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,695,645 times
That is just one person's opinion.

The doTerra and Young Living oils are absolutely worth it. They are high quality oils.

There are also other brands that are good - Eden's Garden, Plant Therapy, and Rocky Mountain, as well as others.

There are free apps for your phone that you can download that tell you which oils are good for which symptom or malady (Reference Guide for Essential Oils is one such program).

Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 PM

282 posts, read 234,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
That is just one person's opinion.

The doTerra and Young Living oils are absolutely worth it. They are high quality oils.

There are also other brands that are good - Eden's Garden, Plant Therapy, and Rocky Mountain, as well as others.

There are free apps for your phone that you can download that tell you which oils are good for which symptom or malady (Reference Guide for Essential Oils is one such program).
No, they are not high quality oils. In fact they have been proven to be no better or worse than any other commercial brand of essential oils, and in some cases were adulterated, or were not from the source they claimed to be from (had the wrong chemical constituency for the region).

OP you can get similar quality from Frontier, or NOW.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:23 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,969,965 times
peppermint!

Also, something else that works well is flexall rubbed on your forehead and your neck and a little under your nose. And ice packs. Sometimes a hot water bottle on my feet or under my neck. Sometimes ice and heat at the same time! I do all sorts of weird stuff to get rid of headaches.

A full-blown migraine, (where you're basically completely incapacitated?)... Eh. Nothing really helps those in my opinion.
Just a dark room and no noise/movement.

Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,040,226 times
Peppermint DEFINTELY helps with headaches. I agree that doTerra and Young Living are MLM scams. The oils should be fine, but they are way, way, way overpriced. Plant Therapy is a good and affordable brand.

Also, this may seem like a no-brainer, but making sure that you drink plenty of water is VERY important. Once I started making drinking tons of water a priority about 10 years ago, my (admittedly fairly mild/moderate) headaches pretty much completely went away. I can honestly count on one hand how many headaches I've had in the last decade, and they were mild enough that they went away with one ibuprofen. (I try to avoid medication like ibuprofen when I can avoid it, but I'm not against it, either. If I do happen to have a headache or menstrual cramps that won't go away with things like drinking a glass or two of water, using essential oils, taking a hot bath, etc., then I'll take one. If one doesn't work, I'll take a second in about an hour, but that never happens now that I'm no longer "dependent" on OTC meds.)

My husband used to have REALLY bad headaches. Not quite migraines but almost. He also NEVER drank water...it was all Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper for him. I started encouraging him to drink water, and even though he still drinks lots of soda, he does drink a lot of water, too. Even though his headaches haven't gone away, he has gone from complaining about them daily to having them every couple of weeks. He also says the severity isn't nearly as bad. He also used to take like 6 ibuprofen or Tylenol at a time. I've asked him to just take 2 ibuprofen with a full glass of water instead, and he does. And it knocks it out!

In my experience, making sure that you drink plenty of water is the cure! (Unless you're talking about migraines...that's a whole different animal.)

Old 11-10-2017, 04:56 AM

13,302 posts, read 8,531,076 times
While aroma therapy is one tool to aide in true migraines...
I've yet to see negative results when a person changes their diet. By diet I mean the daily foods consumed. My dil changed her diet...No lunchmeats . Or preservative additives ...
Yes peppermint tea is her go too.

I've had only two migraines that left me entirely incapacitated. I ended up getting a spinal tap done to remove fluid pressure. So I'm unsure that a person claiming migraines isn't really just sensitive to headaches in general.
You can make your own aroma oils. Cost saving...And local markets should have the basic items to blend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness