Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 02:20 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the article

Old 02-01-2018, 02:22 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Not really. I got the flu shot and I'm still very careful about washing my hands every single time I come to the room I rent. Now one of my friends was sick with the flu in the week before Christmas. Her son and grandkids got it. She was feeling better over Christmas and asked me to come over, so I did, fully expecting to be exposed to the flu and knowing there was still a good chance of getting it in spite of the flu shot I got. I went because at the time I thought my friend was better and because she is a very good friend and we enjoy the times we can talk together. At that time, the flu didn't seem to be so bad, either.

As it turns out, the week after Christmas my friend got hit with the flu again, and this time her other son and husband also got it. I never got sick. Whether that's because I really wasn't exposed to it, or because I got the shot, or because I'm so careful washing my hands, or because of all three, I really don't know.

But I don't go around like I've got some magic shield around me. Just the opposite, in fact.
I didn't know that people could get the flu twice in the same season.

Old 02-01-2018, 02:35 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You can get infected with different strains. You can also be infected simultaneously with more than one strain or with flu and other viruses.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:59 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Thanks for the link!

I'm going to have to read it about another 15 times because there is a lot of information there; BMI, gender, vaccination status, age ... wow.
Actually, as this was a scientific study, the variables included sex, not gender.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Actually, as this was a scientific study, the variables included sex, not gender.
True - in general sex should be used to refer to biological differences and gender to social roles but this article is somewhat dated and different journals have different protocols they follow.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:35 PM

13,272 posts, read 7,321,255 times
Quote:
I got it twice this year once in October took 3 1/2 weeks to recover then again in mid December the 2nd time I recovered in 4 days. This year flu was awful worst I ever had in 20 years it affected everything the scary thing about this one I notice was high fever I would take 600mg of Ibuprofen only brought it down to 102 then after about an hour back to up 104 tylenol didn't even work.

If I was older like over 80 I think I would have been dead nothing over the counter would work I ended up in the urgent care given prednisone, antibiotics, and twice a day breathing treatments along with a puffer.

I was so weak I could not even concentrate on watching TV I just sat there looking at the wall for hours I could not sleep was so congested wishing I would get better I can see why this killed children and old people it's strange but you get to the point where you can't think about anything else only getting better.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 PM

587 posts, read 225,459 times
I am so sorry Kell

I hope you stay feeling good from now!!!

Old 02-03-2018, 12:40 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
From the “scientific study”:

“A striking finding was the association of gender with shedding into fine aerosols. This relationship appears to have resulted from a threefold greater impact of coughing on shedding in males. We observed these gender and gender-by-cough interaction effects only for the fine-aerosol fraction. Absence of a gender effect in the coarse-aerosol fraction suggests that this is not an effect of cough on aerosol generation by shear forces in the upper airway.”

While the term “sex” is used intermittently in the study, I feel it would have been a misrepresentation for me to paraphrase with a substitution for what they found to be a “striking finding”.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Quote:
I've known many people who get over it, start feeling better, and one week later, WHAM - they get it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You can get infected with different strains. You can also be infected simultaneously with more than one strain or with flu and other viruses.
Thank you for that info, Suzy. Now I'm wondering if a person is fighting two strains at the same time, is that what's making people so sick this season.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:07 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've known many people who get over it, start feeling better, and one week later, WHAM - they get it again.

Thank you for that info, Suzy. Now I'm wondering if a person is fighting two strains at the same time, is that what's making people so sick this season.

Folks are mainly having a hard time because the predominant strain is a nasty actor that tends to make people sicker.

This article explains how there might be a second surge in virus levels. See the discussion at the end of the article. I am on my iPad and quoting is difficult.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1563736/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness