Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 03:25 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Folks are mainly having a hard time because the predominant strain is a nasty actor that tends to make people sicker.

This article explains how there might be a second surge in virus levels. See the discussion at the end of the article. I am on my iPad and quoting is difficult.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1563736/
Suzy,

This years quadrivalent vaccine has four strains: A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1), A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2), B/Brisbane/60/2008-like (B/Victoria lineage) and B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (B/Yamagata lineage). Sometimes we will run off other strains; I presume for testing? Occasionally, at the end of the season, we will run pandemic. Of course all of our seasonal flu has to be out of the building at that time. The building cannot switch back to the seasonal flu without a lot of cleaning and a lot of monitoring before it is released. We also have to sterilize and throw away anything that has been opened and exposed.

Next years (the 2018/2019) vaccine is now in production. It has been from about the second week of January. It is possible that the CDC did not even release the strains for the next season. Many times we will make an 'educated' guess which strains they will designate for the coming flu season. Of course we are working with the CDC and we keep in contact - but we have 'guessed' wrong in the past. A wrong 'guess' could mean millions of dollars down the drain. But it is still part of the marketing strategy to be first to market. Hopefully the newer cell technologies will give us more time to be able to react to new strains and CDC changes in formulation?

When the doctors test for flu; do they also test for which strain?

Last edited by fisheye; 02-04-2018 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: extra 'e'!

Old 02-04-2018, 03:43 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Suzy,

This years quadrivalent vaccine has four strains: A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1), A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2), B/Brisbane/60/2008-like (B/Victoria lineage) and B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (B/Yamagata lineage). Sometimes we will run off other strains; I presume for testing? Occasionally, at the end of the season, we will run pandemic. Of course all of our seasonal flu has to be out of the building at that time. The building cannot switch back to the seasonal flue without a lot of cleaning and a lot of monitoring before it is released. We also have to sterilize and throw away anything that has been opened and exposed.

This years (the 2018/2019) vaccine is now in production. It has been from about the second week of January. It is possible that the CDC did not even release the strains for this season. Many times we will make an 'educated' guess which strains they will designate for this coming flu season. Of course we are working with the CDC and we keep in contact - but we have 'guessed' wrong in the past. A wrong 'guess' could mean millions of dollars down the drain. But it is still part of the marketing strategy to be first to market. Hopefully the newer cell technologies will give us more time to be able to react to new strains and CDC changes in formulation?

When the doctors test for flu; do they also test for which strain?
The tests used on patients vary. Some are just positive or negative and some will show A or B.

In some sites around the country samples are collected, usually by health departments and state labs, and sent to the CDC for identification of specific strains. That gives a snapshot of what is going on. It would be too expensive to to strain testing on everyone.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The tests used on patients vary. Some are just positive or negative and some will show A or B.

In some sites around the country samples are collected, usually by health departments and state labs, and sent to the CDC for identification of specific strains. That gives a snapshot of what is going on. It would be too expensive to to strain testing on everyone.
Thanks again! You're always helpful!

Old 02-04-2018, 04:23 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
fact is we really don't know what are in those shots . I'm sure there is a lot the medical community does not tell the general public . Do all of you take your drs word for word that these shots are safe ? the only problem with that is , the dr does not die from this stuff you will . I trust God and God alone to take care of me and you know what ? he has not let me down not once .

Old 02-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
fact is we really don't know what are in those shots . I'm sure there is a lot the medical community does not tell the general public . Do all of you take your drs word for word that these shots are safe ? the only problem with that is , the dr does not die from this stuff you will . I trust God and God alone to take care of me and you know what ? he has not let me down not once .
I do not want to scare you into taking one of the shots that I helped manufacture. Nor do I want to discourage you. I am glad that you have never had any problems with flu. If you want to know what is in our vaccine; all you have to do is look. Here is one site that gives the general ingredients in most of today's vaccine: https://www.healthline.com/health/co...ot-ingredients. Some of those are not in the vaccines that we produce. You have to keep in mind that some of the chemicals are added at the beginning of the purification process. After the vaccine has been filtered over and over again and centrifuged; most of the additives have been removed. It is not the company's job to make anybody sick - we lose money if people lose 'faith' in our product.

We produce a vaccine that anybody can report for anything they feel is wrong: https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/GuidanceCo...seDrugEffects/. We encourage people to do so. What other industry looks for problems with their products? Pretend that you bake a cake for your church; would you change your recipe if somebody did not like vanilla or somebody did not like the icing you used or other ingredients? Of course you cannot keep everybody happy all the time. With our flu vaccines sometimes people have already been infected with flu before they receive our vaccine. Some of these people will report this as a negative reaction to our serum. Was it our fault - no. But it was still reported and we still have to investigate. Even though the investigations are expensive; they are necessary. Our first goal is to protect the public and deliver a quality product - that is the only thing that will keep us in business.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:23 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Maybe God's way of taking care of you is offering you the flu shot. You won't die from a flu shot, but you might die from this flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness