Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 09:37 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times

Advertisements

My gynecologist is a male... young and quite good looking. I am thinking about taking up
Ventriloquism just to freak him out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:41 AM

251 posts, read 203,956 times
The Gender doesn't matter only the competence and bedside manner of the Physician.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:01 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Just curious, has any fellow male poster seen a female urologist? If Yes, did he feel embarrassed when she did the check up?
I had a Female Doctor do my first prostate exam in the presence of a Female nurse many years ago. It didn't bother me. A Doctor/Nurse is a Doctor/Nurse no matter what the gender.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:02 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
My gynecologist is a male... young and quite good looking. I am thinking about taking up
Ventriloquism just to freak him out.
Put it up on YouTube if you do LOL.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:30 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
I've had a female primary provider poking and prodding me for several years now and recently had a female urologist do a cystoscopy with two female assistants.

I have no issues with any of that.

I don't care if they are male, female, or Martian androgynes.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:40 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Sorry if I haven't been clear. Most women in staff roles have been totally professional. It is the bad apples that made me start to say if I have the option of male staff I'll do that. That and as I said I am somewhat modest by nature.

I don't know how a woman's GYN exam occurs but a female chaperone for a female patient not seeing anything is different than a female chaperone for a male patient watching it all. Male exams do not have any draping or screening and anyone in the room sees it all. To me it is just plain creepy for someone to be brought into the room who provides none of the medical care and whose sole function is to watch your genital exam. I am open to female physicians for intimate care, but not if they use chaperones.

I do agree that the long term prognosis is that there will be even fewer men, though the economics are confusing. Yes the very bottom rung (scribes, medical assistants, CNA's) are poorly paid but RN's are very well paid. At the local hospital they make about $75,000 which puts them in the 90th percentile in this region. These RN's are far above the median and are amongst the best paid people around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I've had a female primary provider poking and prodding me for several years now and recently had a female urologist do a cystoscopy with two female assistants.

I have no issues with any of that.

I don't care if they are male, female, or Martian androgynes.
So I find it very strange that women are draped and men are not? So there are actually different procedures for a cystoscopy for women than for men? In terms of prep? Adjusterjack - did you have any covering used while you were disrobed?

Old 02-27-2018, 01:46 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So I find it very strange that women are draped and men are not? So there are actually different procedures for a cystoscopy for women than for men? In terms of prep? Adjusterjack - did you have any covering used while you were disrobed?
Just answering for myself I've probably had 20 cystoscopies split between two hospitals. It was always the same process. I undress, put on a gown, then get on a table type thing with extensions for my legs, and spread open so that the doctor can stand between my legs to do the exam. My legs and torso will be covered but the genitals can't as he needs access to the penis which will have been prepped before the doctor comes in. For prep the nurse pushes the gown up to my chest, cleans the penis with a disinfectant, inserts lidocaine with a syringe, puts a clamp on the penis until the doctor comes in, then covers my legs, pulls the gown back down to my abdomen, and will put a cloth below the penis. The doctor comes in, the nurse gowns and gloves him, the doctor inserts the scope and the nurse stands at the side of the table at my waist until he is done. The doctor leaves, the nurse uncovers my legs, removes the cloth, gives me a cloth to clean myself, and then I can get up and get dressed while the nurse cleans up the room. The nurse will give me a cipro to take before I leave and we're done. All of them have been done the same way, except years ago I would be given a 2nd cipro to take that night. Now I only get one.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:05 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Just answering for myself I've probably had 20 cystoscopies split between two hospitals. It was always the same process. I undress, put on a gown, then get on a table type thing with extensions for my legs, and spread open so that the doctor can stand between my legs to do the exam. My legs and torso will be covered but the genitals can't as he needs access to the penis which will have been prepped before the doctor comes in. For prep the nurse pushes the gown up to my chest, cleans the penis with a disinfectant, inserts lidocaine with a syringe, puts a clamp on the penis until the doctor comes in, then covers my legs, pulls the gown back down to my abdomen, and will put a cloth below the penis. The doctor comes in, the nurse gowns and gloves him, the doctor inserts the scope and the nurse stands at the side of the table at my waist until he is done. The doctor leaves, the nurse uncovers my legs, removes the cloth, gives me a cloth to clean myself, and then I can get up and get dressed while the nurse cleans up the room. The nurse will give me a cipro to take before I leave and we're done. All of them have been done the same way, except years ago I would be given a 2nd cipro to take that night. Now I only get one.
my goodness, may I ask why you have had to have20 cystoscopies? That's a LOT. What were the results; as in are you ok now?

I just think Urologists are too quick to think of this procedure as quick and painless. It is neither. The one I had some years ago caused me unrelenting pain all night long. It was horrifying and I will never forget the pain of that procedure and that night.

Now I'm scheduled to have one next week and already I'm petrified to go through all that again. To make matters worse is before I wasn't in the least bit concerned as to the findings. It was more of ok let's just do this and fix the problem. But this time around I just feel they will find something that will be devastating news for me. Just a gut feeling, well yea that and knowing the symptoms I'm experiencing and how I feel physically. Not good man. Not good.

I am going to ask beforehand about something for pain. I know doctors hate that and hate when patients anticipate pain when they think there should be none! I can't be bothered to care though what the doc thinks. I can't get out of my mind what I experienced that night so many years ago. No, I Must have something ready to take for the pain that I KNOW is coming.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:57 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
my goodness, may I ask why you have had to have20 cystoscopies? That's a LOT. What were the results; as in are you ok now?

I just think Urologists are too quick to think of this procedure as quick and painless. It is neither. The one I had some years ago caused me unrelenting pain all night long. It was horrifying and I will never forget the pain of that procedure and that night.

Now I'm scheduled to have one next week and already I'm petrified to go through all that again. To make matters worse is before I wasn't in the least bit concerned as to the findings. It was more of ok let's just do this and fix the problem. But this time around I just feel they will find something that will be devastating news for me. Just a gut feeling, well yea that and knowing the symptoms I'm experiencing and how I feel physically. Not good man. Not good.

I am going to ask beforehand about something for pain. I know doctors hate that and hate when patients anticipate pain when they think there should be none! I can't be bothered to care though what the doc thinks. I can't get out of my mind what I experienced that night so many years ago. No, I Must have something ready to take for the pain that I KNOW is coming.
Usually a female cystoscopy does not cause a lot of pain.

You may have had some spasm in the bladder muscle.

Be sure the urologist is aware what happened before. Are you having a local anesthetic or general?

Here's hoping nothing serious is found.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:35 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Usually a female cystoscopy does not cause a lot of pain.

You may have had some spasm in the bladder muscle.

Be sure the urologist is aware what happened before. Are you having a local anesthetic or general?

Here's hoping nothing serious is found.
the doc said the nurse would apply Lidocaine (sp) to numb the area

I told him about the horror of my last experience but he just gave me one of those,"crap,not one of those patients" type looks.

Thanks so much.........I kinda feel they will find "something" wrong or else I wouldn't be having the issues I'm having. Hopefully it's a problem that can be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness