Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:42 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Ah, growing up we didn't run to doctors like today...my mom/dad hardly ever went to doctors, and I feel the same way. I don't either and I'm never sick, had a horrible flu when I was 18 and I'm soon 80. My most disasters have been from two surgeries and the complications from them. Body does not like to be cut.
Same with me and my parents growing up. I did take my kids to doctors growing up but never went myself, except for my ruptured ectopic pregnancy. I've only had two doctors in my 69 years lifetime; pediatrician 59 years ago and OB/GYN 34 years ago.

"Body does not like to be cut". That was my OB's mantra. My daughter was breach (1979) and he bucked the system even back then for not doing a C-Section. "I will only cut if it is a life or death emergency". RIP, Dr. George. He had his license revoked in 1998 and passed a few years later. That says it all.

I don't get sick despite being around a whole lot of people who are; from children in schools to my own relatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 01:18 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
"Body does not like to be cut". That was my OB's mantra. My daughter was breach (1979) and he bucked the system even back then for not doing a C-Section. "I will only cut if it is a life or death emergency". RIP, Dr. George. He had his license revoked in 1998 and passed a few years later. That says it all.
I don't get it. What does it say? Did he die because his license was revoked? What was it revoked for?

Old 04-24-2018, 01:35 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't get it. What does it say? Did he die because his license was revoked? What was it revoked for?
His license was probably revoked for malpractice and not following the current standards. Dr. George loved what he did. My guess he probably died from sorrow/broken heart. Of course, medically there is no such thing, right?

Old 04-24-2018, 01:53 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Well, there are outliers to any assumption or general saying. There are ailments that wouldn't be affected one way or another by an immune system, but they do determine lifespan. Just because someone doesn't tend to pick up viruses or other infectious/contagious diseases doesn't mean they are unusually healthy. I think about my mother. She didn't get the usual colds, flu, have any of the more routine ailments. The medicine chests in our house were pretty empty and we didn't need many runs to doctors either. So what? She ended up dying from complications from ALS at a young age. I was the healthy kid, the one who never picked up the usual bugs all my friends or classmates did and even now happily ignore the common health ailment commentaries that flood the airwaves, media, pharmacy shelving, and conversation. Instead I ended up with cancer at an age when it was considered "rare", and the reality is, I probably won't reach a very old age.

OK, ALS and cancer could be linked to immune response to a very bad invader as opposed to the run-of-the-mill pests. It could be more of a matter of tolerance...what plagues one person's system to the point that the response shows up and annoys the person, could be so far under the radar for another it doesn't result in symptoms until the problem simply overwhelms everything all at once.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:14 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, there are outliers to any assumption or general saying. There are ailments that wouldn't be affected one way or another by an immune system, but they do determine lifespan. Just because someone doesn't tend to pick up viruses or other infectious/contagious diseases doesn't mean they are unusually healthy. I think about my mother. She didn't get the usual colds, flu, have any of the more routine ailments. The medicine chests in our house were pretty empty and we didn't need many runs to doctors either. So what? She ended up dying from complications from ALS at a young age. I was the healthy kid, the one who never picked up the usual bugs all my friends or classmates did and even now happily ignore the common health ailment commentaries that flood the airwaves, media, pharmacy shelving, and conversation. Instead I ended up with cancer at an age when it was considered "rare", and the reality is, I probably won't reach a very old age.
So interesting. My sister was one of the healthiest people I have ever met. Her entire life, she never had a surgery or was hospitalized. She cooked everything from scratch from organic ingredients starting in the early 1970s, exercised often, was slim and fit, never got sick. She died in January at age 67, of ALS. It killed her in just over a year.

I honestly would have pegged her as someone who would live to be 100.

As for myself, I'm like you, always healthy, worst thing I ever had was chicken pox at age 2. But I had had two different cancers by the time I was 45. Turns out to be genetically linked--I inherited bad mutations from both parents--but certainly no one expected or could have predicted from my otherwise stellar health that I would get something like cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
His license was probably revoked for malpractice and not following the current standards. Dr. George loved what he did. My guess he probably died from sorrow/broken heart. Of course, medically there is no such thing, right?
Hmm, a lot of assumptions there. So you don't know why his license was revoked or what he died of. Maybe he lost one or more babies and/or mothers by not performing a c-section when indicated.

Last edited by saibot; 04-24-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-24-2018, 02:51 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Everyone dies.
You simply die healthy or die sickly.
My grandfather worked till the last day of his life. 72 yo. Came back from work, had bowl of soup, set in his favorite chair, fell face down and passed away. Like in 15 seconds. Was to hospital once in his life - slipped on ice, broke ribs.
Good death.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:54 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
And then there is this woman I know and she's about 87 this year. She chain smokes, drinks coffee all day, does not sleep well at all and stick bone skinny. Just recently heard she was blown over in a strong wind in our town last week...she's now in hospital with broken hip..She walked everywhere and as I said stick skinny.

So who knows, but I am glad I don't smoke, don't drink coffee all day and have some meat on me and who knows how long I'll make it...I'm 80 this year. And will continue with my supplements.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:56 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Everyone dies.
You simply die healthy or die sickly.
My grandfather worked till the last day of his life. 72 yo. Came back from work, had bowl of soup, set in his favorite chair, fell face down and passed away. Like in 15 seconds. Was to hospital once in his life - slipped on ice, broke ribs.
Good death.
Good way to go, hope that will be me. But he was pretty young considering.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:03 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
My mom never gets sick, maybe once every 2 years. She eats good and is fit BUT she still had a massive heart attack that almost killed her at the age of 58. Simply put, she smoked for years!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So interesting. My sister was one of the healthiest people I have ever met. Her entire life, she never had a surgery or was hospitalized. She cooked everything from scratch from organic ingredients starting in the early 1970s, exercised often, was slim and fit, never got sick. She died in January at age 67, of ALS. It killed her in just over a year.

I honestly would have pegged her as someone who would live to be 100.

As for myself, I'm like you, always healthy, worst thing I ever had was chicken pox at age 2. But I had had two different cancers by the time I was 45. Turns out to be genetically linked--I inherited bad mutations from both parents--but certainly no one expected or could have predicted from my otherwise stellar health that I would get something like cancer.

Hmm, a lot of assumptions there. So you don't know why his license was revoked or what he died of. Maybe he lost one or more babies and/or mothers by not performing a c-section when indicated.
Another thought about "tolerance". It could also be that some people just dismiss minor annoyances, possibly subconsciously as well as consciously, don't harp and moan about them, accept them as ordinary parts of life until they are seriously and truly ill. Others just won't accept anything but symptom-free bliss and spend a lot of effort trying to solve every twinge. Everyone around them hears about it or is reminded about it....they earn a reputation for being more prone to illness, sicker, weaker. As they say, perception is reality. Have a relative like this. No matter what the current ailment is, it's inevitably some abnormal manifestation, more serious, with complications that need intervention instead of patience and time. When she does go for help no one seems able to solve the problem to her satisfaction. Is is a state of mind or of body?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness