Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My mom never gets sick, maybe once every 2 years. She eats good and is fit BUT she still had a massive heart attack that almost killed her at the age of 58. Simply put, she smoked for years!
Has she quit? My grandkids dad passed at 55 lung cancer, picked up first cig when he was 10, smoked tooo long. Never should have, of course. Then there is the woman at 87 still smoking and no issues she mentions, but very "blue" hands and feet. I had a friend who smoked until she died in early 90's, as did her mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 06:43 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Have a relative like this. No matter what the current ailment is, it's inevitably some abnormal manifestation, more serious, with complications that need intervention instead of patience and time. When she does go for help no one seems able to solve the problem to her satisfaction. Is is a state of mind or of body?
My mother-in-law is like this too, and has been for decades. No one can figure out what ails her. Certainly no one knows how she suffers.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:09 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My mother-in-law is like this too, and has been for decades. No one can figure out what ails her. Certainly no one knows how she suffers.
Nice "Pride and Prejudice" reference.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Has she quit? My grandkids dad passed at 55 lung cancer, picked up first cig when he was 10, smoked tooo long. Never should have, of course. Then there is the woman at 87 still smoking and no issues she mentions, but very "blue" hands and feet. I had a friend who smoked until she died in early 90's, as did her mother.
No, at the time of her heart attack the doctor told her that if she continued to smoke she’d be dead in a year so she quit cold turkey. However, she does vape and I don’t think that’s any better!

Old 04-24-2018, 08:08 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
I was born before WWII. In my life I have had three prescriptions. Two were the result of injuries and I got pneumonia once about 25 years ago. That's it. I have given over 160 pints of blood. I recently found out that I am a "baby donor". I have an antigen in my blood that allows it to be used for premature babies and transplant recipients. The Red Cross says that only one in a thousand type O donors has this and most are descended from Scandinavia. They really, really want me to make all my appointments for donations.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:14 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Reading these posts reminds me of a neighbor we had in our 30's. She lived a few houses away, actually had the same floor plan as our house, and had 3 kids, like us. 2 boys and a girl, like us. She was a few years older than me and our husbands were co-workers. She was never sick, was the picture of health. I got sick every once in a while and thought she was lucky. We moved away and later I heard she got breast cancer and was dead within a year. She was 42. I am 71, still get sick once in a while. Our kids are older than 42.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 PM

973 posts, read 915,892 times
My parents, brother, and I very rarely got sick. I'd get sick maybe once every 5 years. I know people who get sick every month or two. In my opinion, it's much better to never get sick.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:17 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,109,437 times
Quote:
Another thought about "tolerance". It could also be that some people just dismiss minor annoyances, possibly subconsciously as well as consciously, don't harp and moan about them, accept them as ordinary parts of life until they are seriously and truly ill.
Asymptomatic.

I do this & it is weird. First pregnancy, routine test for gestational diabetes, My blood sugar was 460. I felt fine but I thought the nurse was going to have a panic attack.

Second pregnancy I get Hyperemesis Gravidarium (intractable vomiting). By the time I called the doctor it had been a week. By the time I went to the doctor it had been 11 days. I had to be carried into his office, he took one look at me & said “I’ll meet you in the hospital in 5 minutes”.

Fifth pregnancy I was at work & felt “shaky”. Took my blood sugar & it was 32. I should have been in a coma.

Last year after a frantic call from the lab, I drove myself to the emergency room with my disabled son, parked, walked up to the triage desk & said “My hemoglobin level is 7. I need a transfusion.” The techs face went white. He said “Right now? Seven?” I live at 7,000 ft elevation. Transfusions given when hemoglobin is at 10. Seven is considered incompatible with life.

I do worry that I will let something go until it’s too late, because I can just tune it out so easily. There is one thing I will feel before anyone else but it’s not an illness symptom; it’s actually a “natural disaster”: Forest Fires.

I believe it has something to do with my severe anemia & lack of oxygen carrying red blood cells. This was a benefit 5 years ago on the day the Waldo Canyon Fire burned the entire neighborhood to the ground. I was alone with the 3 youngest kids in a section of town that was not under evacuation orders when I started feeling this bizarre impending doom. I decided I wasn’t going to wait for the order, as my youngest is disabled & I knew I couldn’t do anything “quickly”.

As I was leaving, huge pieces of fiery ash were falling from the sky & I had to put on my windshield wipers to knock them off the car.

As it turns out; a cumulus cloud had collapsed & turned the fire into a legitimate Firestorm, meaning that the fire had taken a huge “breath” of oxygen before it formed the 2mile long wall of fire that stormed down the front range. A person with normal blood levels wouldn’t have felt anything.

Later, it was discovered that a mistake had been made on the FEMA map that had labeled our property as commercial vs residential & the order to evacuate was never issued.

Quote:
Others just won't accept anything but symptom-free bliss and spend a lot of effort trying to solve every twinge. Everyone around them hears about it or is reminded about it....they earn a reputation for being more prone to illness, sicker,
I have a daughter like this; the proverbial Princess & the Pea. She is so hyper-sensitive she “diagnosed” her own Pediatric arrhythmia at age 8. Most people outgrow her particular condition without even knowing they had it. She has near-anaphylactic allergic reactions to random irritants. Since she was about 4 years old she can feel them starting before you can see her lips swelling.

Every little ache or pain requires undivided attention until satisfactorily resolved. She never has “A tummy ache”. More like:

“In-between this freckle & my belly button but not on the outside, it’s on the inside & it’s always worse when I sneeze. On Wednesday’s, mostly but it happened on Friday last week”. OMG.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:07 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Reading these posts reminds me of a neighbor we had in our 30's. She lived a few houses away, actually had the same floor plan as our house, and had 3 kids, like us. 2 boys and a girl, like us. She was a few years older than me and our husbands were co-workers. She was never sick, was the picture of health. I got sick every once in a while and thought she was lucky. We moved away and later I heard she got breast cancer and was dead within a year. She was 42. I am 71, still get sick once in a while. Our kids are older than 42.
I remember now that when I had breast cancer, one of my doctors remarked on my overall great health and added something about the "typical breast cancer patient" being someone who was generally very healthy, had never before had any serious condition or been in the hospital/had surgery, etc. And that was certainly true for me.

At the same time, I have my almost-complete genetic family history including all my siblings and cousins, and those of us who have the mutations have had cancer, and those who don't, haven't. So I don't know how any immune system theory about cancer takes that into account.

All of us are about equally healthy, as far as having good immune systems and not getting sick goes. Not all of us were equally lucky when it came to inheriting deleterious mutations.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:23 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,743,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My mom never gets sick, maybe once every 2 years. She eats good and is fit BUT she still had a massive heart attack that almost killed her at the age of 58. Simply put, she smoked for years!
My mom also claimed she was super healthy, and that's why she justified her smoking.

Then she needed a quintuple bypass, two years later her back is a mess with osteoporosis and arthritis. The heart doc asked if she smoked and when she said 60 years, he just shrugged his shoulders like, well, that's what happens.

She quit after the heart attacks but you can't fix all the damage at 80 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness