Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 05:56 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,888 times

Advertisements

I've known my wife for about 30 years. She has never, ever gotten a cold or flu in all that time. But then I know people that are sick at least once a year, if not two, three or four times on average. So I got to thinking, which is better over the long haul?

On one hand, someone that gets sick builds up their immunity against bacteria and viruses. As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But does this take its toll over many years, does it make someone "sickly" that is more prove to problems.

On the other hand, someone that is never sick, must already have a super immune system. But what happens if they do catch something, will it be more severe since their body is not used to it.

Overall, are these factors predictors of longevity? Anyone know people that fit these descriptions and did they live long or not? Anyone know anything about this stuff? I've looked for studies, but couldn't find anything. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Before I make comments, just curious how old is your wife now? Has she had children?

Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 PM

22,227 posts, read 19,238,916 times
on the one hand we thought my mother was a bit nuts because she said and believed things like "going to the doctor is what makes you sick so if you want to stay well never go to the doctor." so growing up she never took us kids to the doctor. except for vaccinations when we were little. i went through a period where I was very angry with her about this because it felt like she did not look out for our health and well being.

on the other hand, i am not aware of her ever being sick. she just turned 89 and has dementia and is in a nursing home memory care unit, but other than that is still going strong. it could be we have very good genes, because i don't get sick hardly ever. i haven't had a cold for....years.....and i haven't had the flu in over 20 years. About 8 years ago i needed antibiotics for sinus infection. that's about it.

in answer to the opening post, i think people who get sick more frequently have a weaker immune system so are more susceptible for one sickness after another. whereas people who hardly ever get sick well have fewer health problems. i would say they are more likely to have better health in the long run.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Ah, growing up we didn't run to doctors like today...my mom/dad hardly ever went to doctors, and I feel the same way. I don't either and I'm never sick, had a horrible flu when I was 18 and I'm soon 80. My most disasters have been from two surgeries and the complications from them. Body does not like to be cut.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I've known my wife for about 30 years. She has never, ever gotten a cold or flu in all that time. But then I know people that are sick at least once a year, if not two, three or four times on average. So I got to thinking, which is better over the long haul?

On one hand, someone that gets sick builds up their immunity against bacteria and viruses. As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But does this take its toll over many years, does it make someone "sickly" that is more prove to problems.

On the other hand, someone that is never sick, must already have a super immune system. But what happens if they do catch something, will it be more severe since their body is not used to it.

Overall, are these factors predictors of longevity? Anyone know people that fit these descriptions and did they live long or not? Anyone know anything about this stuff? I've looked for studies, but couldn't find anything. Thanks.
I hate that saying. It's so completely untrue. There are things that hurt you a lot - like a horrible car wreck, or polio, or severe depression.

None of those make you stronger. They make you much weaker.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I hate that saying. It's so completely untrue. There are things that hurt you a lot - like a horrible car wreck, or polio, or severe depression.

No, not those things.

I've been sick many times in my life. I'd like to think that I've earned a healthy immune system, but sometimes it's all for naught. Viruses mutate and your general health changes from month and year to year. I've gotten really, really sick a few times in my life when I was rather young and healthy.

I would have been dead many years ago without the help of modern medicine.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:54 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
While it's tempting to think of longevity in terms of, say, respiratory infections, here are the leading causes of death in the U.S.:

Heart disease: 633,842
Cancer: 595,930
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 155,041
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 146,571
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 140,323
Alzheimer’s disease: 110,561
Diabetes: 79,535
Influenza and pneumonia: 57,062
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 49,959
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 44,193

Data is from 2015.

Your wife may be more diligent with hand washing and avoiding sick people.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Every one is different. The idea that the OP is offering is that people that get sick build up their immunity to illness or disease. What we don't know is the number of people that were in contact with a specific disease or illness. We don't know the number of people that came in contact with something that ended up sick or those that the illness had no effect on.

A percentage of people are going to get sick, a percentage of people will stay well.

A lot of new ideas are being tossed around about maintaining the human body. In one study it has been found that we pass down our immune system to future generations. Another similar study found that women are attracted to men that have an immune system that is stronger in other areas, passing the combined traits on to their children.

For me I hardly ever get sick. I grew up in a home where we hardly ever went to the Doctor. Something happened and we took care of it at home. My dad had spent a lot of time on the farm and he would tell us that they did not have the ability to run off to the Doctor for help. Same on the ocean near where we grew up. You spend time out in the ocean and can't make it back to a Doctor you end up taking care of things on your own.

As a health care worker many within the industry find that they build a strong immunity to illness. Many say that is just part of being in the hospital all the time. We are around illness all the time and our bodies change for the better I guess.

I remember years ago reading that during World War II many young men from the farms would get sick in the city. Lots of things that they have never been around and the their body had to build an immunity to those things. I guess that is why healthcare workers end up with a good immune system.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

The will to live gets stronger ( except in mental illnesses).

Old 04-24-2018, 12:02 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
I'm 68. I rarely get sick and have no chronic illnesses or joint issues at all.

Most of my living familiy is the same way.

My oldest relative will be 100 this year.

Most of my family live in urban areas where we are, of course, exposed to all kinds of things from viruses, bacteria and toxins.

Here's what makes us decidely different from lots of people: no one smokes or drinks alcohol and I know this is true going back to my all of my grandparents and their siblings. I had the great good fortune to know all of them. Aunts, uncles, cousins.
We are also cancer free.

And this has nothing to do with anything religious. We just don't imbibe or see any reason to.

Most who have passed on were in their 80s. My mom was 90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness