Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So what's your point? I'm in my 50's and I jumped at the chance to get a more effective vaccine and not have to wait to age 60. And yes, my insurance paid for every penny.

Are we stealing it from those on Medicare? Different insurance pays different amounts, how is this any different than for anything else? Is there some conspiracy going on? Is that what you're saying?
I'm with you....I don't understand her point....pretty sure she doesn't have one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We shall see, Suzy. It is very traceable on Medicare vaccination tracking. Yep, going to go up from 30% to what???? lol Lot of people must be willing to spend hundreds of dollars to protect them from deadly, contagious shingles, which isn't FREE.

Let's see when the ages uptake is published. Medicare Part B won't pay a DIME for it. Dispute that.
It is covered under Medicare Part D. If you want it under Part B, talk to your Congressperson.

Who said shingles is deadly? That rarely happens, and the person usually has an underlying severe immune deficiency.

The virus that causes shingles is contagious, but the risk of giving it to someone who is not immune to chickenpox can be minimized by covering the rash. Shingles vaccine is not given because it is contagious. It is given because the condition is extremely painful, with the pain sometimes being permanent. Since postherpetic neuralgia is the most common cause of pain related suicide in the elderly I guess you could say it can be deadly in that sense.

I have no idea what you mean by "going to go up from 30% to what" or "deadly, contagious shingles, which isn't FREE".

Of course shingles is FREE. You do not purchase it.

The vaccine is in high demand because it is very effective in preventing shingles and postherpetic neuralgia. There are a lot of people who have observed first hand what shingles is like or who have experienced it themselves and do not want to get it again. Those who were not impressed with the 50 to 60% effectiveness of Zostavax think Shingrix is worth taking.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:06 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
How much did you pay for it? Free like Flu and Pneumonia Vax under Medicare Part B? Yeah, I get the Marketing technique having worked for a Big Pharm. Get it while you can! No different than years ago with those Cabbage Patch Dolls. We HAVE THEM. Hurry up before they are sold out.

I won't quote what PT Barnum said.
Because of the high demand and the shortage, the company is not even doing any direct to consumer marketing right now.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:41 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
https://www.contagionlive.com/public...les-prevention

(...)

Shingrix is administered through intramuscular (IM) injection as a 2-dose (0.5 mL each) vaccine series.2 The second dose should be administered anytime between 2 and 6 months after the first dose. The vaccine series does not need to be restarted if more than 6 months have passed since the first dose.3

(...)

But is the overall protection just as effective when the 2nd is delayed beyond six mos.?

GOOD NEWS: Pharmacy received seven doses yesterday. BAD NEWS: Wasn't notified despite being on list. GOOD NEWS: On a whim, I visited pharmacy today. BAD NEWS: The imperious, hard ass pharmacist was on duty. She told me back in May that the 2nd dose should be given after 6 mos. (rather than 2-6 as recommended). Today she checked the record to see that I got the Quad flu shot exactly a week ago. She said that although both are inactive, one can lessen the effectiveness of the other -- she didn't specify which -- and should be given at least two weeks apart. GOOD NEWS: I gave her my best puppy dog look and she administered the 2nd dose. BAD NEWS: U&C cost $170.99. GOOD NEWS: No charge to me.

In another matter, literature from the pharmacy stated in pertinent part that if you received the 1st dose at least 3 months ago, you should receive 2nd dose ASAP.

This conflicts with the 2-6 mo. guidelines, and seems to be inconsistent with the BOLD above.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:27 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Was at the pharmacy yesterday. Yes, they had it. Five doses left. No they would not give it to me because I am way down on the list. November is my crash date. So I will wait, hopefully get a call soon and take the second shot.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:46 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Was at the pharmacy yesterday. Yes, they had it. Five doses left. No they would not give it to me because I am way down on the list. November is my crash date. So I will wait, hopefully get a call soon and take the second shot.
I'm guess I'm lucky I live where I live. DW and I went down to Walgreen's and got our first shringrix vaccination than and there. I think our health insurance completely paid for it. Its far more effective than the older zostavax was. This link states that shringrix is 97 % effective in preventing shingles in those over age 50. Far superior to the 50% to 60% effectiveness of zostavax. This new vaccine is truly a wonder.

http://www.goodrx.com/blog/new-shing...grix-zostavax/

Old 10-29-2018, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,262 times
My husband and I got the zostavax shot about 10 yrs ago. 2 years ago he got shingles in his gluteal cleft (look it up ��) 3 weeks before we were leaving for Paris! It wasn’t as severe a case pain wise, probably because of the zostavax, but bad enough, and had to be treated carefully because of the location. (This included me bandaging him and applying antibiotic ointment, plus he was on oral antibiotics). There was NO way we’d pass on Shingrix!!

We’ve now both had both Shingrix shots, tho finding the 2nd one was a bear, and only by luck...asking while at the pharmacy for another reason, after being told many times it was out all over town. Neither of us had much reaction to the first, but we both did to the 2nd. Both of us ran low grade temps for a day, me no appetite and very sore arm and red and swollen from shoulder to elbow. It itched, but was too sore to do more than lightly scratch! That part lasted close to a week. Husband had none of that but he too felt as if he’d been hit by the proverbial Mack truck for most of the next day.

Despite Medicare Part D, we both paid $160/shot. Must be the type of drug plan we chose...most of our drugs are no cost, but not this one, and our shots were through 3 different pharmacies.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I inquired about it the other day when I got my flu shot. Our WalGreens has a wait list. I did not sign up, but I will very soon. They only get about 12 doses a month the nurse said.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:32 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Best chance is to go to a Walgreens in anti-vaccine nutjob territory. It'll still be on the shelves. On the other hand, try not to have any physical contact with those people while you are there - on account of them entirely gambling the boat on their innate immune system and disregarding their God-given adaptive immune systems.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:44 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Best chance is to go to a Walgreens in anti-vaccine nutjob territory. It'll still be on the shelves. On the other hand, try not to have any physical contact with those people while you are there - on account of them entirely gambling the boat on their innate immune system and disregarding their God-given adaptive immune systems.
Newsflash. You can’t catch shingles from someone who has shingles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness