Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:30 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Is there ANY Dr. who DOESN'T take some sort of free training, samples, vacations, trips, or cash for prescribing or at least listening to the salesperson's spiel?
y.
Yes.
I know MANY of them.

You wanna know why the drug companies pushed to advertise on TV? The timing was not coincidental. It was when they were no longer allowed to offer anything of cash value to physicians.

I finished my training right around the time the change happened. I haven't so much as seen a drug pen in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 02:46 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes.
I know MANY of them.
Yup, when my husband worked for a public university, he didn't accept anything at all of value, including meals. He used to go to journal clubs and meetings with colleagues from around the city, and if a Rep was there, he would either not eat, or pay for it himself. I think that's pretty commonplace now, as you point out above.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 05-22-2018 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-22-2018, 03:17 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would advise anyone who has a doctor who will not try to find a generic alternative (or other alternative) due to financial hardship should be fired. Not all doctors are good doctors, like anything else.

My GP and RA doctor both prefer meds that have a long history of use so their patients are not the guinea pigs. When something is expensive, they tell me that upfront and ask if it is okay. When starting treatment for aggressive RA and FM the doctor had me read about medicines and come to him with what sounds good to me, he said no to a few, gave me the reason, and felt the rest were good choices. Sometimes they weren't due to side effects (it is a personal choice if the side effects are worth the good it does), and we moved on to the next choices.

I have good doctors, but that is because I fired a bunch before having a good team.
I can't think of any provider I've had who didn't tell me about options to some medication if it existed. Pros, cons, costs, generics, efficacy, side effects, counterindications, etc. Usually happened right after the discussion about treating whatever the problem was in the first place.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Not shocked. They are a business too.

My family doc loves doing the 'consult Fee. Which involves the doctor calling this mystery entity then charging me 250$ for her to say...oh that drug you asked about ...yes that side effect could lead to xyz. Got any other ?'s ill gladly bill ya for those to. I kid you not...any medicinal question now goes to this service beyond the 95$ visit and any tests that she runs in house. If I decline a med then she charges to 'research' a suitable alternative. It's maddening to discuss any matter ....she has a fee just to allow us a paper bill. Or for two dollars more per month we can view our results online thru a private access.

Yes my doc gets kickbacks ..referral comps and many other luxurious ....I'm sure when I'm dead and gone she'll bill my estate for being inactive

Old 05-22-2018, 03:55 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I don't know many professionals who take time away from the workplace on their own dime, even if it is for growth and development purposes. Most people expect their employer to pay for things like conferences, certifications, acquiring new skills etc, because ultimately, it benefits the entity's customers, which in the case of a physician, is patients. Why would a physician be expected to pay for these things themselves merely because they can afford it?
Oftentimes the doctor is their own employer. I've also known quite a few doctors who have no problem taking a day or two off from the office so they can go golfing.

This isn't a matter of just getting a free lunch or learning a new skill. It is outright bribery.

The Outrageous Ways Big Pharma Has Bribed Doctors to Shill Drugs

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-shows-n595906

Old 05-22-2018, 04:08 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I can't think of any provider I've had who didn't tell me about options to some medication if it existed. Pros, cons, costs, generics, efficacy, side effects, counterindications, etc. Usually happened right after the discussion about treating whatever the problem was in the first place.
Yep, and THAT discussion is usually after lifestyle changes like diet and exercise.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2018, 04:56 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Oftentimes the doctor is their own employer.
Yes, of course, you're right. If they're in private practice, everything is out of their pocket- education, malpractice insurance, disability, lost revenue from every day they're not productive. That can impact decisions about what you are willing to pay for yourself (or not).

Old 05-22-2018, 05:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My regular MD is an integrative MD and she prescribes very minimal amounts of allopathic drugs, so I doubt she gets kickbacks.

I saw a rheumatologist who does mostly out of the box medicine, could not even get me a sample of Celebrex as the sales reps don't visit her.

Now my daughter was seeing an MD while she was in her marriage, and this doctor is HIGH on the list of "favors/gifts" from the drug companies.
Ha, ha! I suggest you check. See what kind of kickback she's getting from all these supplements she recommends. Of course, if she's not an MD, she won't be on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna;51969713[B
]One study I read stated that many doctors will be convinced to start pushing a particular drug for less than a $20 meal.[/b] Here it is.... https://clark.com/insurance/doctor-b...certain-drugs/

Here is another interesting article.... https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....rug-kickbacks/

Texas Ag 93 asked a question about doctors attending certain training where they are receiving some sort of perk, whether it be a meal or their hotel paid for. My question is... would the doctor have bothered to attend if they had to pay for the trip out of their own pocket? If learning a new procedure was really all that important to them they could easily pay for it themselves. The whole point is that they accepted some sort of perk that enticed them.

This article discusses doctors receiving payments for writing brand name prescriptions.... https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...me-prescribing

However, doctors who work through a large health care provider, like Kaiser, are also pushing generics in large numbers, but not because they are trying to be compassionate. It is down to protecting themselves, the health care provider and the pharmaceutical company from lawsuits for injury, damages or death. Many people are unaware that pharmaceutical manufacturers of generic drugs are immune from lawsuits.
https://www.spanglaw.com/blog/2016/j...mune-from-law/

and.... https://www.lawcash.net/important-da...lity-lawsuits/

Fortunately some states are finally challenging this rule and are turning the tide for victims.
That study sounds dubious.

As Texas Ag 93 replied, I don't know of other professionals who are expected to do their own inservice out of pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'd like to know the sources, too, since we never see or deal with drug reps ever but somehow I made $24 (that I've never seen or been made aware of).

Legitimacy of this site in serious question.
Agreed.

Quote:
Oftentimes the doctor is their own employer. I've also known quite a few doctors who have no problem taking a day or two off from the office so they can go golfing.

This isn't a matter of just getting a free lunch or learning a new skill. It is outright bribery.

The Outrageous Ways Big Pharma Has Bribed Doctors to Shill Drugs

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-shows-n595906
So you think they should work 24/7/365?

My doctor got $770 in 2015, $760 for meals and beverages, $10 for education.
My husband's doctor got $1619; 1608 for food/beverage and $11 for education. DH always complains that his doc won't prescribe antibiotics when he (DH) thinks he needs them!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yep, and THAT discussion is usually after lifestyle changes like diet and exercise.
Ah, thanks...then there's the talk about supportive home care I can do all by myself!

Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
If they don't have appointments or procedures booked for the time why not? They may have on call hours on weekends so weekdays are what they have free. Do you want them to sit around in their offices twiddling their thumbs hoping you'll call?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness