Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:20 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times

Advertisements

I don't seem to be tolerating Atorvastatin very well. I'm experiencing body ache all over. My back is the worst, but legs hurt, neck hurts, kind of achey everywhere. I also seem pretty fuzzy. I'm on a low dose, 20 Mg 1x/day. I'm going to visit my Dr. and see if I need to take it every day, or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 12:55 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
I was put on statins years ago, started with Lipitor (I had body pain from it), can't remember what the last brand name was. Anyway, at some point my doctor said to stop taking them. So I have not taken one since. Recently my new doctor did some blood work and told me my cholesterol was high 288 (no indication which number that applied to, guessing LDL. She recommended another pill (can't remember name) but I told her I would not take any statin. I said my other doctor told me to stop taking them and then there were some articles I read saying studies had shown they cause problems. So I'm in no rush for another problem and am refusing to take any of them.

Anyone else familiar with this?

Old 09-21-2018, 01:09 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
I couldn't tolerate 20mg a day as I had severe muscle aches with that dose. I was off for months and recently agreed to try 10 mg a day as that is the dose my brother takes and it works for him. After about 2 months I'm doing well. As for the itch part I've had an itch before starting to take it. Other things are suspect. Possibly the high dose of a vitamin I'm taking to overcome a deficiency. Trial and error until the culprit is found. In about 6 weeks I'll get another blood test to see if 10 mg a day helps. When I started it this time I only took a 10mg tablet every other day for a few days and then 5 a week to now every day. I didn't have much hope for it but as of now if it lowers my 300+ cholesterol I'll be happy. I only have a facial itch and it's aggravated by wearing a CPAP at night and that was happening before the Atorvastatin was started.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
Pharmacist told us to take CoQ10 with our statin at night. Supposed to help with the leg cramps statins are famous for. Usually works... but last night I woke up with bad leg cramp.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Pharmacist told us to take CoQ10 with our statin at night. Supposed to help with the leg cramps statins are famous for. Usually works... but last night I woke up with bad leg cramp.
Former doc put me on CoQ10 with 20mg a day. Didn't help me either. I was told to take D3 with 10mg. I take D3 and CoQ10 with 10mg. Seems to be OK for me but may fail many others. I wish there was a method that would work for all of us.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:24 PM

1,305 posts, read 856,368 times
I too, am back on this drug after a couple of years off it.....was on 10 mg of Lovastatin for years with no problems, then started getting horrific leg and foot cramps.....stopped the statin and they went away. Went in for blood work a couple of weeks ago and total cholesterol was 300 and both LDL and triglycerides were in the high range...so back on statins. Doc wrote prescription for 40 mgs, which is 4 times higher than I've ever taken...so I cut the pill in half, and take with Coq10 and vitamin D and also added grapeseed extract...so far no cramping.....plus now I'm retired and not sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day....I imagine that helps as well. Never had itching or any other side effects other than the cramps, which hit at night and were unbelievably painful!

Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Former doc put me on CoQ10 with 20mg a day. Didn't help me either. I was told to take D3 with 10mg. I take D3 and CoQ10 with 10mg. Seems to be OK for me but may fail many others. I wish there was a method that would work for all of us.
I'm also more active now that I too am retired and take additional magnesium as if it gets low from sweating it out for dumped as a water pill works I know that can cause leg cramps too. I'm making sure if I cramp I know that it must be the statin.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I don't seem to be tolerating Atorvastatin very well. I'm experiencing body ache all over. My back is the worst, but legs hurt, neck hurts, kind of achey everywhere. I also seem pretty fuzzy. I'm on a low dose, 20 Mg 1x/day. I'm going to visit my Dr. and see if I need to take it every day, or less.
These were my symptoms years ago when I was taking Crestor. I felt like I was getting the flu every morning. Then one day I began to feel really ill. That’s when I knew the problem was the meds I had been taking.

I have since taken niacin and fenofibrate for years with no problem.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:05 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
I for one am going to go with the "natural" way..... diet and exercise.

I have not been very faithful at doing this in the past but when I consider the alternative, I'm determined to make it work this time.

Sometimes the "cure" is worse than the disease.... in this case, I consider the pills to be the worse.
There is a pill for everything.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:28 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
YEARS of pain using fenofibrate, niacin, statins. Finally I figured it out on my own. Original inserts stated, that muscle pain was Rare. In reality, up to 40% of Asians experience muscle pain and degradation, and they are the original users of natural statins found in red yeast rice. I cannot tolerate any dosage of statins or fenofibrate.

Yes my feet have been itching at night. Could be a reaction to the gemfibrozil, clopidogrel (plavix), 20 mg aspirin, high BP medicines, and hormonal injections for rising PSA ( prostate removal and radiation were not effective) Feet wounds are very difficult to heal. I am very aware of scratching any foot itches. I'm monitoring my physicals. Also sweating more frequently.

Last edited by leastprime; 09-21-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness