Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 03:14 PM

70 posts, read 70,054 times

Advertisements

Certainly! Especially if you know where to look....like Medscape or the NLH has wealth of resources. It's even better when you know someone with a medical background, ehhmm, then you can also have a free consult.

Doctor's nowadays are so busy with paperwork and other crap....they have 15 min to see you...can't even order the proper labs, not to mention interpret them. And yes...my doctor uses Google too...some research website but he's learning "on the go"

Drugs.com has info about medications, side effects, interactions etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well I hope your wife has recovered. I avoid going to doctors unless its absolutely necessary. Probably not a good idea but so far I have dodged the bullet from any serious problems. So self diagnosing is something I do.

They say the future of medicine is in AI. A computer will diagnose you and use the vast array of information at its disposal in real time from throughout the world to come up with a solution. Something that humans are not capable of doing with the same speed and accuracy. Might be the solution to high health care costs.

I am waiting for the time that a technician takes a throat swab at the pharmacist and puts it into the equipment that will diagnose exactly what is wrong with you. Then the pharmacist fills the prescription. Of course we are not quite there yet; but someday we will be. It would ease the burden on our medical industry and free up beds for those that needed surgery and other advanced care.

Right now would it be possible for our pharmacies to keep track of our immunizations and give us reminders when they would be needed? It would free up some of the valuable time at our GP's offices. If there was a know problem with an immunization then it could be sent to the GP.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:06 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Problem is, people react differently to different medications. I used to go to a doctor when my back was out. I knew exactly which muscle relaxers worked on me. I would tell him what meds I needed. He told me, you know you are prescribing for yourself. I answered, but I know what works for me. He was a good enough doctor to go along with my choices.

On my last visit to him he told me he had just taken a treadmill stress test and got a clean bill of health. A few days later he died of a massive heart attack. He was the second person in my acquaintance who died of a heart attack within a couple of days of passing a treadmill stress test. Based on that I never agreed to take one. If a doctor acts like he knows everything and won't listen to your ideas or answer your questions, get another doctor.

This is exactly what I did today,signed up with a new doctor and him and his staff are wonderful. I only saw the last doctor once and he was arrogant and rude, yawned the whole 10 mins I saw him and was dismissive when I tried to get a grasp of whether my hormone blocker played a role in the extreme leg and foot pain ( which cancer support sites say is a possible side effect). I’ve never had to deal with such an unpleasant doctor before.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:56 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
This is exactly what I did today,signed up with a new doctor and him and his staff are wonderful. I only saw the last doctor once and he was arrogant and rude, yawned the whole 10 mins I saw him and was dismissive when I tried to get a grasp of whether my hormone blocker played a role in the extreme leg and foot pain ( which cancer support sites say is a possible side effect). I’ve never had to deal with such an unpleasant doctor before.

If it's one thing Phoenix has, it's an abundance of physicians. Glad you got a better practitioner on the second try.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:02 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If it's one thing Phoenix has, it's an abundance of physicians. Glad you got a better practitioner on the second try.
Thanks .

Old 07-23-2018, 05:44 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am waiting for the time that a technician takes a throat swab at the pharmacist and puts it into the equipment that will diagnose exactly what is wrong with you. Then the pharmacist fills the prescription. Of course we are not quite there yet; but someday we will be. It would ease the burden on our medical industry and free up beds for those that needed surgery and other advanced care.

Right now would it be possible for our pharmacies to keep track of our immunizations and give us reminders when they would be needed? It would free up some of the valuable time at our GP's offices. If there was a know problem with an immunization then it could be sent to the GP.
The states have systems to track immunizations. Georgia's is GRITS.

https://dph.georgia.gov/georgia-immu...registry-grits

This provides a place to keep track of immunizations but not a reminder system.

PA's is PA SIIS:

https://www.health.pa.gov/MyRecords/...x#.W1Zo2NVKhhE

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-23-2018 at 05:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 06:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You do that. Your family will remember you for your behavior, and hopefully have fond memories of you.
Oh the fear mongering....I'm almost 80 and use google FIRST if I feel something needs some help. Too bad I didn't go to Dr. Google until 2005 but better later than never. Of course, MD's are good for labs and drugs and cutting the body. Been that route too.

Also, I've gotten tremendous help from other health groups. especially for thyroid starting back in early 2000's..didn't get on the computer until 2005.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Let me test you. My doctor diagnosed the problem in a minute. The only symptom was swollen arm pits. What was my problem and what was the cause?

Old 07-23-2018, 06:57 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh the fear mongering....I'm almost 80 and use google FIRST if I feel something needs some help. Too bad I didn't go to Dr. Google until 2005 but better later than never. Of course, MD's are good for labs and drugs and cutting the body. Been that route too.

Also, I've gotten tremendous help from other health groups. especially for thyroid starting back in early 2000's..didn't get on the computer until 2005.
Actually I'm surprised you (and others) don't know there are maybe half a dozen websites where you can order and pay for your own bloodwork and urinalysis labs to be done - THAT'S what you don't need a doctor for...as long as you know how to interpret them, which is also not always straightforward.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:14 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let me test you. My doctor diagnosed the problem in a minute. The only symptom was swollen arm pits. What was my problem and what was the cause?
Pregnancy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness