Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:04 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The only time I use the handicapped stall is if it's the only one available and I'm just doing a quick pee. I reminded my 9 year granddaughter yesterday when she went into the handicapped stall that it is to be used for those who are handicapped and sometimes they need to go NOW. As a woman with OAB I know the urgency.
yes, that is what I'm actually referring to...not saying in the least that the handicapped stall is never to be used by anyone but the handicapped, I'm simply suggesting what you have said here, to actually bring this into light. I really don't think many people who use the handicapped stall thinks about it at all.

I'll be honest, I didn't when I was young, just used it, without a thought. So thanks so much for affirming with your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
The handicapped guest does not know that all other stalls were full when the able man selected that stall. Some visitors left before the handicapped man arrived, and the man who took the last remaining stall (at the time) looks like the bad guy.

You can't switch stalls mid-deuce.

If you're about to tell the able man to not delay addressing his urgency so long as to not be able to wait for another stall, the same rule can be applied to the handicapped guest and nullifies the argument.
Oh my gosh are you kidding me, your actually going to go there with this? I mean, please, use common sense...will you....

and...

I'm not telling anyone anything...I'm just reminding people that if the stalls are empty when you walk in, please use them before the handicapped....if I walk in and the handicapped stall is being occupied, what do you think I'm going to do, attack the person?

Lets not make this more difficult than it is....

Old 09-25-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I honestly have never seen an actual handicapped person in the restroom while I have been in there. So I have never actually thought about it, but now i'll think about it.
yes, neither did I when I was younger, I just simply used it, and feel badly now that I am handicapped...some days are horrific and hard to even walk, other days are not so bad, but just b/c I'm not in a wheel chair doesn't mean I'm not handicapped.

I've seen numerous people using walkers and crutches in our building, and know for a fact that there are a lot of people like me, who cannot get up from the toilet without the help of those bars....

I'm not asking this just for me, but for everyone concerned, as many many times, I walk into a rest room behind another woman, and she chooses the handicapped stall.

What bothers me most out of this whole thing, are not the people using it, b/c as I said, I don't believe they realize the real needs of some....but those who are argumentative in this thread, b/c they probably use it and felt attacked? Sad...

I've actually wrote a letter to our company to bring this more light to this subject....

I think the handicapped needs to be protected....someone is forgetting them, and how hard would it be as a toilet goes bad to replace it with a higher one...? I understand, it can't be done all at once, but to replace them slowly would be a big contribution.

also it would be really awesome if apartment complexes would replace theirs and also in a 2 bath apartment, put a walk in shower in one of them....it would certainly help.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with you and it works on my nerves as well. But there is one other issue here: some people are not really handicapped but are mobile challenged that sitting on the very low seats and getting back up can be a challenge, so we use the handicapped stalls. No one realizes we are not truly handicapped but we are not uncaring either.
yes, we discussed this in this thread somewhere....actually the reason for me starting this...just b/c a person doesn't look handicapped doesn't mean they aren't.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:44 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, we discussed this in this thread somewhere....actually the reason for me starting this...just b/c a person doesn't look handicapped doesn't mean they aren't.
Very true. A little off topic, but I am curious about when pregnant women and parents with children became disabled. Apparently they have to some grocery stores in our city, because a few of them have designated parking spaces near the front of the store for them. Since our stores become very crowded, I find that rather ridiculous. A person chooses to have kids. They do not choose to be disabled. The space should be designated as another handicapped parking space or as another regular parking space, especially since they are often empty when the stores are very busy.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Very true. A little off topic, but I am curious about when pregnant women and parents with children became disabled. Apparently they have to some grocery stores in our city, because a few of them have designated parking spaces near the front of the store for them. Since our stores become very crowded, I find that rather ridiculous. A person chooses to have kids. They do not choose to be disabled. The space should be designated as another handicapped parking space or as another regular parking space, especially since they are often empty when the stores are very busy.
Well, you are correct, they do chose to become pregnant, however, during the last few months of pregnancy I can understand it, as it is difficult to walk farther distances....and would assume, when nature calls for these woman, it must be awful hard for them to get up off the toilet. I mean think about it...it's time to get rid of those old lower toilets.

I'm on this kick now, that America needs to rethink the designs of their bathrooms in all places, like work places, apartments, housing developments...when building new homes, or apartment buildings especially if each unit has more than one bathroom, first put higher toilets in them, next, put one stall shower in a bathroom....b/c when you have knee injuries, it's very hard to get over the ledge of the bath tub, and an accident waiting to happen. Why not consider older people also, who are not yet ready to go to the "ol folks home" and can still be independent, and in work places, restaurants, etc, start replacing old toilets with higher ones....doesn't have to be done all at once, but as they need to be replaced....the lower toilets are ancient, and need to be rethought.

and if your building a home, I would def consider one bathroom with a stall shower in it, which is a great selling point...mine is huge...and I was so thankful for it, when I had back surgery. I could fit a chair in there with a narrow bench, with all my hair and soap products. Awesome and Easy!

Just saying, lol

seriously though, it's common sense really, but you would never ever think about this when your young....
so, now, how do I bring this concept to everyone....

Old 09-25-2018, 01:25 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
I am guilty of using handicap stall. It's always cleaner! I also prefer it when my stomach condition acts up as I feel it give me more privacy and space and I can keep calm (I tend to get anxiety attacks along with it). But I even use it just to pee if it's free and nobody is in there. I'm in and out quick and have never even seen anybody waiting for it, so it's never been something I was forced to think about, but now I will try to. There's no need for me to take that stall if there are perfectly fine other stalls available. I'd feel really bad if that forced someone to wait, who was possibly even having their own bathroom emergency, but didn't have options that I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness