Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:50 AM

385 posts, read 323,937 times

Advertisements

I am going to wade back into this thread because I think the issue of the high rate of suicide attempts is complex and thus prone to being misunderstood.

1) When discussing the high rate of suicide attempts, it needs to be remembered that this was not a controlled experiment proving causation: "The study wasn’t a controlled experiment designed to prove whether or how teens’ gender identity might influence suicidal behavior": from an article published in Reuter's: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1LS39K

2) To better understand the general situation, as well as the limitations of the study, consult Suicide Attempts Among Transgender and Gender Non-conforming Adults (published by the Williams Institute): https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...port-Final.pdf

On pp. 3-4, this study has a section on "Methods and Limitations." I will mention and quote the four limitations identified, but if interested, please read the continuing discussion in the study at the link.
a) The NTDS (National Transgender Discrimination Survey) asked the question, "have you ever attempt suicide?", with a dichotomized response: yes/no. Phrasing the question in this way can inflate results. To quote:
"Researchers have found that using this question alone in surveys can inflate the percentage of affirmative responses, since some respondents may use it to communicate self-harm behavior that is not a “suicide attempt,” such as seriously considering suicide, planning for suicide, or engaging in self-harm behavior without the intent to die."
b) "Second, the survey did not directly explore mental health status and history, which have been identified as important risk factors for both attempted and completed suicide in the general population."
c) "Third, since the NTDS utilized convenience sampling, it is unclear how representative the respondents are of the overall U.S. transgender/gender non-conforming adult population."
d) "Finally, it should be emphasized that the NTDS, like all similar surveys, captured information about suicide attempts, not completed suicide."

It is not hard to understand why a startling percentage of transgenders might contemplate suicide -- they have been bullied, ridiculed, harassed, discriminated against, rejected, singled out as being oddballs (e.g., special bathrooms for transgender students), etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:06 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
I am going to wade back into this thread because I think the issue of the high rate of suicide attempts is complex and thus prone to being misunderstood.

1) When discussing the high rate of suicide attempts, it needs to be remembered that this was not a controlled experiment proving causation: "The study wasn’t a controlled experiment designed to prove whether or how teens’ gender identity might influence suicidal behavior": from an article published in Reuter's: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1LS39K

2) To better understand the general situation, as well as the limitations of the study, consult Suicide Attempts Among Transgender and Gender Non-conforming Adults (published by the Williams Institute): https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...port-Final.pdf

On pp. 3-4, this study has a section on "Methods and Limitations." I will mention and quote the four limitations identified, but if interested, please read the continuing discussion in the study at the link.
a) The NTDS (National Transgender Discrimination Survey) asked the question, "have you ever attempt suicide?", with a dichotomized response: yes/no. Phrasing the question in this way can inflate results. To quote:
"Researchers have found that using this question alone in surveys can inflate the percentage of affirmative responses, since some respondents may use it to communicate self-harm behavior that is not a “suicide attempt,” such as seriously considering suicide, planning for suicide, or engaging in self-harm behavior without the intent to die."
b) "Second, the survey did not directly explore mental health status and history, which have been identified as important risk factors for both attempted and completed suicide in the general population."
c) "Third, since the NTDS utilized convenience sampling, it is unclear how representative the respondents are of the overall U.S. transgender/gender non-conforming adult population."
d) "Finally, it should be emphasized that the NTDS, like all similar surveys, captured information about suicide attempts, not completed suicide."

It is not hard to understand why a startling percentage of transgenders might contemplate suicide -- they have been bullied, ridiculed, harassed, discriminated against, rejected, singled out as being oddballs (e.g., special bathrooms for transgender students), etc.
So anyone who has been bulled, harrassed, discriminated against and rejected would then have the same suicide rate?

What's the suicide rate, historically, for African Americans? Native Americans? What about Japanese in the internment camps?

How about women? Was there a time when 40% of women committed suicide? They have arguably been subjected to everything you've mentioned, and are even suffering tremendously today #metoo.

This a common argument that moves the goal post on the premise that external circumstance is the SOLE reason for suicide.

If this premise is sound, other populations should also have the same rate of suicide when subjected to the same external circumstances.

They don't. Why? Because it is a mental illness unique to transgender individuals.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:49 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Transgenderism is a mental condition, not biological. Children should not be treated surgically or with drugs at all, since the majority will beome comfortable with their biological sexuality in time, whether gay or straight.
Children are children. Probably 90-95% of "trans" children do it to get attention or join a fad.

To indulge them, especially to the point of surgery, is felony child abuse IMHO. NOBODY should be allowed to get this surgery until at least age 30. Never mind the suicide rate for trannies is sky high so yes, they are disturbed people.

Paying for "reassignment" surgery for state or federal prison inmates...that's hundreds of thousands of dollars. How many poor people or pensioners could use those wasted dollars? That expenditure is also criminal.

Our society is rapidly going down the toilet of utter insanity and hysteria, led by the most mentally unstable group imaginable.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:53 PM

1,417 posts, read 734,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Children are children. Probably 90-95% of "trans" children do it to get attention or join a fad.

To indulge them, especially to the point of surgery, is felony child abuse IMHO. NOBODY should be allowed to get this surgery until at least age 30. Never mind the suicide rate for trannies is sky high so yes, they are disturbed people.

Paying for "reassignment" surgery for state or federal prison inmates...that's hundreds of thousands of dollars. How many poor people or pensioners could use those wasted dollars? That expenditure is also criminal.

Our society is rapidly going down the toilet of utter insanity and hysteria, led by the most mentally unstable group imaginable.
What an intelligent post.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:46 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Parents who would carry out such atrocities on their children should be imprisoned for aggravated child-abuse and never allowed to be near children again.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:28 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Treatment and surgery have no effect on the suicide rate. It remains the same for the entire transgender population.

Which is why it is a MENTAL problem.
You have a source for your opinion?

Simply using a transgender person's preferred name reduces suicidality.

https://www.jahonline.org/article/S1...18)30085-5/pdf

"Depressive symptoms, suicidal ideation, and suicidal behavior were at the lowest levels when chosen names could be used in all four contexts [at home, school, work, and with friends]".

Support at home improves mental health:

https://www.washington.edu/news/2016...mental-health/

"The findings, said lead author Kristina Olson, challenge long-held assumptions that mental health problems in transgender children are inevitable, or even that being transgender is itself a type of mental disorder."

"'They suggest that mental health problems are not inevitable in this group, and that family support might buffer these children from the onset of mental health problems so commonly observed in transgender people,' [Katie McLaughlin, coauthor] said."

Factors that increase risk of suicide attempts:

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...port-Final.pdf

"Respondents who experienced rejection by family and friends, discrimination, victimization, or violence had elevated prevalence of suicide attempts ..."

Old 04-06-2019, 09:58 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Quote:
Transgenderism is a mental condition, not biological. Children should not be treated surgically or with drugs at all, since the majority will beome comfortable with their biological sexuality in time, whether gay or straight.
I think that is too simplistic of an answer.
The first sentence might be "too simplistic", but the second sentence is a fact.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Jazz rarely lived as a boy. Once she was able to talk, she said she had a girl brain, boy body; she started growing out her hair and living as a girl.

Look at her friends Noelle and Lynn. Both were born male, transitioned to female. They both went thru male puberty, both sound like males; have Adams apples, look manly; where Jazz never went thru puberty, is more feminine. According to what I googled, Noelle began her transition to female and started hormone therapy sometime in 2015, when she was 14; yet it didn't stop her voice from changing and her body developing manly features. I feel so bad for her every time I see her on the show. I'm not sure when Lynn started hormone therapy but it looks like it was after she went thru puberty. I don't know Noel and Lynn's stories except both of their families support them as females, so I don't know why they went thru male puberty. It hurt both of them.

Jazz also has a blond trans friend Skylar that was born male, transitioned to female but she does not have an Adams apple and does not look manly. I'm not seeing anything on google as to when she started hormone therapy. I can't imagine her as a male. She looks very feminine. From what I see on google, she's a model.

With girls that want to be male, going thru puberty they develop breasts; breasts that have larger nipples. When they have top surgery, if the surgeon doesn't know what they're doing they can really maim the person. I've seen one on the show Botched where they tried to fix them.

At one point Jazz's surgeons wanted her to use a male hormone cream on her penis to make it larger so they had more to work with. Jazz refused to do the cream because to her the penis was not the body part she wanted or needed to live her life. She emotionally couldn't bring herself to do the cream to make it larger. I was shocked to hear she stands while peeing. I would have thought that she sat like a girl would.

While Jazz's gender confirmation surgery was more complicated, they were still able to do what needed to be done. It just took 3 surgeries to achieve it instead of one.

Look at Brad Pitt's daughter Shiloh (born 2006) who is dressing as a boy. I guess in a few years we will see if she stays a girl or if she transitions to male.

All I have to say is that I'm glad I did not have to raise a child that feels they were born in the wrong body. I can't say what I would do because I do not have experience with it. With Jazz, it was obvious she was a girl. I think her parents made the right decision to do what they did. I'll be shocked if at some point she decides she really was a boy.
On her penis?

Old 04-07-2019, 12:39 AM

1,417 posts, read 734,046 times
After reading this thread...

...it is surreal.

I mean what the kittens is wrong with people?

This is a freak show.

I read it and just, well, part of me feels pity for people this furry-kittened up, part of me just wants to laugh, and another part still almost wants to cry at what the word has become.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:02 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You have a source for your opinion?

Simply using a transgender person's preferred name reduces suicidality.

https://www.jahonline.org/article/S1...18)30085-5/pdf

"Depressive symptoms, suicidal ideation, and suicidal behavior were at the lowest levels when chosen names could be used in all four contexts [at home, school, work, and with friends]".

Support at home improves mental health:

https://www.washington.edu/news/2016...mental-health/

"The findings, said lead author Kristina Olson, challenge long-held assumptions that mental health problems in transgender children are inevitable, or even that being transgender is itself a type of mental disorder."

"'They suggest that mental health problems are not inevitable in this group, and that family support might buffer these children from the onset of mental health problems so commonly observed in transgender people,' [Katie McLaughlin, coauthor] said."

Factors that increase risk of suicide attempts:

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.e...port-Final.pdf

"Respondents who experienced rejection by family and friends, discrimination, victimization, or violence had elevated prevalence of suicide attempts ..."
Was there a 40% suicide rate in the concentration camps during WWII or on slave plantations in the USA?

No. The premise that outside factors cause suicide is false. There is no another demo that had the same "societal pressures" that has even CLOSE to a 40% suicide rate. Which is needed to prove the "theory."

Show of hands: Who HASN'T been called the wrong name? Did you kill yourself? No.

If killing yourself was a "normal" reaction, we'd all have committed suicide and the US would have zero population.

This is a demonstration of the religion of science. Basic common sense is tossed out the door, scientific method is faulty and false conclusions are rampant. People who believe this nonsense, like someone who kills themself because they were not called the right name is perfectly normal, are worshipping science, not thinking critically for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness