Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:53 AM

946 posts, read 1,135,281 times

Advertisements

I went to see my doctor and she said I have probably a viral infection in my throat. Which is causing my ears to hurt when I swallow. She prescribed Tylenol and gargling with salt and water to ease the pain. She also gave me a prescription for antibiotics in case I don't get better in 48 hours but she doesn't think antibiotics will help with the viral infection.

So it's about a day, can't hardly eat or sleep and I've taken about 3 500mg pills of Tylenol and it's the only thing that helps with the pain. I don't want to keep taking it since the label says no more than 4000mg within 24 hours.

Any other home remedies to ease the sore throat/ears pain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 06:38 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
This is what happens to me when I first come down with any sort of URI. It almost always presents with a sore throat, and congested eustachian tubes and hurts enough to often interrupt my sleep. Then I revert back to a 5 year old and wish my Mommy could take care of me....

We always gargle with warm salt water here as well. I'll use a medicated lozenge sometimes, but I usually just have to wait it out, which seems to be about 48 hours for me. Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 04-07-2019 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-07-2019, 07:00 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
I went to see my doctor and she said I have probably a viral infection in my throat. Which is causing my ears to hurt when I swallow. She prescribed Tylenol and gargling with salt and water to ease the pain. She also gave me a prescription for antibiotics in case I don't get better in 48 hours but she doesn't think antibiotics will help with the viral infection.

So it's about a day, can't hardly eat or sleep and I've taken about 3 500mg pills of Tylenol and it's the only thing that helps with the pain. I don't want to keep taking it since the label says no more than 4000mg within 24 hours.

Gargle with warm water and sea salt twice per day. Chew/eat 1-2 small cloves of organic garlic per day. And eat two spoonfuls of a good brand of Manuka honey per day.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Warm up your throat/neck/ears with hot beverages/soup &/or compresses. When pressure builds up in the middle ear from excessive mucus or air trapped by a swollen Eustachian tube, the ear gets painful and that pain is often referred down the side of the neck (like heart attack pain is often referred to the left arm. Who knows why?)...The warmth may pop open the Eustachian tube and let the pressure equalize...but it usually doesn't last. Keep repeating as necessary.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm drinking as much liquids as possible and trying some of the suggested remedies cause I'm definitely reverting to a 5 years old lol.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:28 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post

I will always go to my "home" remedy...give grape seed extract a GOOD run and see if that does the trick. It has anti viral, anti bacterial, anti fungal properties. I'm taking it a couple decades+ and good overall health.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:37 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times
My doctor recommended Sudafed to reduce the fluid build up in my ear tubes. There was a noticeable difference with just a few hours!

Old 04-08-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
My doctor recommended Sudafed to reduce the fluid build up in my ear tubes. There was a noticeable difference with just a few hours!
Good tip thx

Old 12-13-2019, 05:29 AM

7 posts, read 3,883 times
Two tips I would like to share here. First is, If you like to drink tea, make sure to add 2-3 pinch of salt in it and then drink it. Second, Take some hot water in 1 pot and add 2 inhaling capsule in it then take steam of it. Make sure to cover your head and mouth while taking steam. Hope this will make you feel relax.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
*Ha, I see I wrote more than one needs to know for just this.

Tho salt and water are great -Apple Cider vinegar, for me, is better.
I put Hydrogen peroxide in my ear, tip head for a min.---drain.
Blow a warm hairdryer into the ear and all around it - place cotton inside.
Lay head on a hot water bottle - most people don't have one, darn.
Buy one.

Move the bottle around to all the lymphs - in neck, back of the neck,
think where mumps happen...milk those lymphs to help flush them..stimulate the lymph glands right
under the jaw, also...one side is usually more sore if you have a sore and swollen throat - be gentle.

Heat will imitate a fever and step up your white blood cells, *soldiers*, bringing them
like PacMan to the area to chomp on the bad guys -(Since it is viral -Antibiotics will just kill the good
bacteria in your gut, terrible.)

As you have 'die-off' milking the lymphs is very necessary like flushing a toilet - keep the movement happening.
You want this all to move out and not linger.

Hot teas, lemon, ginger - more fluids than usual are necessary for ridding the body of this.
Other things that help, snorting Golden seal, the size of a match head, tipping head back to let it drain down the throat.
Vit C 500 mg every 2-3 hours.
And,yes, even tho it isn't nasal ---steaming eucalyptus will aid the whole area.
Have all these things around at the ready, I say, cuz mine may start up at 2 am...gotta jump on it!

This is what I do, that's all ..and it works. I can't afford to get sick being self-employed.
Helps to attack this the first hour you feel any symptoms, of course.
And don't get water in your ears...warm moist areas are breeding ground for bacteria, tho it is viral, I know.
Keep your house humid - a dry nose can't repel viruses. If need be -Use Vicks on a Q-tip
in the nose as a preventative..
Ha, esp when flying.

Only 3-4 people have ever bothered to do what I suggest - but they were amazed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness