Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 04:05 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I agree it is up to the individual to place limits on themselves.
During the first Iraqi war when we were in Kuwait there were no fast food places. We started opening them up there and now Kuwait has one of the highest obesity rates world wide.

Fast-food-loving Kuwaitis battle the bulge - CNN.com

Obviously fast food restaurants are not going anywhere. So it really is up to us, and obviously we fail miserably at using moderation when dining at them.
Well Kuwait is where I became my most obese which led me to do the research and find the plan I needed to get trim while I was still in Kuwait....knowledge and discipline is all that's required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 06:34 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well Kuwait is where I became my most obese which led me to do the research and find the plan I needed to get trim while I was still in Kuwait....knowledge and discipline is all that's required.
The discipline part is a huge ask for a lot of people. They want to lose weight yet they still want to eat crap. Or they cut out certain foods only to binge on them later. For the weak willed where food is concerned fast, easy, designed to be delicious, and cheap is too much to bear.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The discipline part is a huge ask for a lot of people. They want to lose weight yet they still want to eat crap. Or they cut out certain foods only to binge on them later. For the weak willed where food is concerned fast, easy, designed to be delicious, and cheap is too much to bear.
I agree but you can also make healthy and delicious foods...I think I do as does my wife. However, my wife is not as focused and disciplined at least with regards to eating than I.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:10 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The culprit is MEDDLING GOVERNMENT and collusion with certain interest groups.

The "Food Pyramid" is abominable.

FAT IS HEALTHY
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...olesterol.aspx
The latest science suggests healthy fats (saturated and unsaturated fats from whole food, animal, and plant sources) should comprise anywhere from 50 to 85 percent of your overall energy intake.
"There has never been solid evidence for the idea that these [saturated] fats cause disease. We only believe this to be the case because nutrition policy has been derailed over the past half-century by a mixture of personal ambition, bad science, politics, and bias."
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-you-after-all
[R]esearchers wrote in JAMA Internal Medicine, that the sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to downplay links between sugar and heart disease, and instead play up the emerging science about saturated fat as a more likely contributor to heart disease problems than sugar.
. . . [expletive deleted!] . . .
There are essential proteins.
There are essential fatty acids (fat).
There are no “essential†carbohydrates.
. . .
Carb-Loaded, a film
. . . You can be trim and fit, but slowly dying from carbs . . .
https://youtu.be/lBb5TFxj1S0
>> Americans are victims of a public policy and propaganda campaign that resulted in a change in diet, a rise in sickness and disease, and an increased burden. <<
FAT is not the bad guy. Never was.
CARBS (refined) are the problem.
. . .
There are no “essential†carbohydrates.

ALL THAT NEEDLESS SUFFERING AND PRESSURE TO STOP EATING FAT WAS DEAD WRONG.
Well, if the MEDDLING GOVERNMENT would meddle for us instead of against us, it would help. If they'd get out of bed with the special interest groups and start educating and helping US, the people they are supposed to represent, it would help.

I would like the government to pay for ads on tv and social media about healthy eating. They were able to help us with the smoking and they were able to help us with the alcohol advertising. So get away from all the monetary ties with foods and the junk that is in the food and help people.

There are generations of young people who don't even know what eating is about. No one ever taught them. They don't know how to grow their own food and they don't know how to cook it either. Big powerful government could turn this around IF they wanted to. There are a lot of people who think it's perfectly normal to drink Coke all day long, people who eat greasy burgers or chicken nuggets (whatever they are), and people who think a meal isn't complete without some sugary dessert or snack. A little education, please, Government.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
I agree but you can also make healthy and delicious foods...I think I do as does my wife. However, my wife is not as focused and disciplined at least with regards to eating than I.
I agree 100%. I make my food choices based on health and weight. Lucky for me I am not into fast food or processed foods. I also wont eat certain foods because the calorie content is just not worth it. And I am not deprived. I am a foodie. Fast food is gross to me.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:

Once one clears there palate for a few weeks of high fat, salt and sugar, healthy food tastes good. For some it seems hard for them to deprive themselves for that long....

I've slowly changed my husbands eating habits, he will pretty much eat what I give him, but now he chooses fruits and stuff for his evening snacks. That was pretty the last hurdle in cleaning up his eating.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-14-2019, 10:40 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
The biggest problem I see related to obesity is a sedentary lifestyle.

I work a sedentary job. If I don't get out and walk/exercise on my lunch hour, there will be plenty of days where I will get very little exercise. I could get by with under 2,000 steps most days. Take some snacks to your desk and such, and it's easy to see weight pile on.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I work a sedentary job. If I don't get out and walk/exercise on my lunch hour, there will be plenty of days where I will get very little exercise. I could get by with under 2,000 steps most days. Take some snacks to your desk and such, and it's easy to see weight pile on.

It's a factor but I went from obese to slim without much exercise by changing my diet. I now am able to increase my fitness and movement as a trim person.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
That's fair.

But wouldn't you say all this was a factor in 2008?

Poverty was higher then. It's just with all the green food boom, hip farmer markets in the city, and new Gym culture, I don't see how any of that makes the situation worse.
All of these are only affordable to educated middle/upper middle class. I am pretty sure this population became healthier and less fat in the last 7 - 10 years. But that is a minority of US population. The rest are probably getting fatter.

In the "hip" farmer market in Manhattan's Union square, heirloom, organic tomatoes sell for $4.99 - $5.99 a pound. Who can afford that?

Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

totally agree; I have always said that is the number 1 reason plus added sugars to so many foods. I think all we have to do is look back to the days of our grandparents or great grandparents, depending on ones age: n the majority of people worked in the fields and the women didn't have electric this and that they worked off calories. Even as recently as the 70s, we worked much harder around the house. No dishwashers for many, heavier vacuums, still hanging, at least a few things on the line, no rider mowers for the average family and not even remote controls. It is amazing how many calories were burned. Of course 2 car families didn't exist much until the early 70s either. Thus women walked more as did our kids. Dad worked harder around the house on weekends. the average middle class family did not hire the yard work done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness