Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 10:20 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,512 times

Advertisements

Today, I saw the ENT to whom my oncologist referred me. The idea is that he was going to exam me, then set up an excisional biopsy of a lymph node/tumor. Both my PCP and my oncologist told me they think I have lymphoma.

The very first thing that happened was that the nurse told me they had an extra copy of the report from my oncologist’s office. Would I like to have a copy?

I thought was a little strange, but, sure, why not?

Well ... it was really eye-opening. My oncologist repeatedly suggests that I am a chronic smoker and drinker and am lying about it! For the record, I am a “never smoker.” Not even one drag once. Not even marijuana. Nothing. However, when I saw him for my initial visit, the very first thing he said: “Well you smoke! You said you don’t smoke but you do!” I have never had any medical professional act like that before, so I was perplexed. Eventually after about 5 back and forth accusation and denials, I said: you know I walked up the stairs, instead of taking the elevator. Maybe people smoke in the stairwell?” He seemed to agree with me and I thought the issue was solved but apparently not.

In the report, he appears absolutely obsessed by this — he brings it up in no less than 5 different places in the report. He also states that I was “counseled on the health risks of excessive alcohol use.” Um, what? I have not had a single drink in 3 years. Before that I was a very light social drinker (one glass of wine a week).

Anyway, although the oncologist told me in the office that he suspected lymphoma, lymphoma appears nowhere in the report he sent to the ENT. It’s just all about my “smoking,” my “chronic cough” (I had a bad head cold when I saw him, with a cough), that fact that I look “malnourished and chronically ill” (got a good laugh out of that one).

So, the ENT tells me they are going to do a fine needle aspiration. I said, that is not how you diagnose lymphoma. What are you looking for? He finally said that he suspects me of having squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus! I said ... hmmm... that is actually kind of rare. I think lymphoma is more common (OK, there is no “I think” about it, I was just being polite.) Maybe it is more common in smokers and drinkers? Hmmm?

Just feeling so incredibly peeved about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 10:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Can you get a 2nd opinion? I'd probably try and find a new PCP as well.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:34 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
If this is in your medical records, ask him to remove the untrue comments or you might have to consult an attorney.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:36 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,177 times
Interesting to read this. I have gp who continued to not address an issue I brought up and also give a diagnosis for a skin condition including medicine. Next visit he said about that...what was it you had? I told him what he had said and he said "oh, no, no, no. it couldn't be that." For another issue he gave a cavalier response which made the nurse take a step back in surprise. Another visit I spoke to an older nurse first. I got the feeling the nurses had banded together to try to save the patients from this guy. I had a problem that I thought was one thing but couldn't figure it all out. She felt it was something else and got me an appt elsewhere and she was correct.

Now I have good referrals from friendships and contacts outside that one doctor. But, yes, these people one is so dependent on for a good life can indeed be wackos. And I have heard other stories about other doctors from relatives so it really does happen more often than people think.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Have you contacted your oncologist? It is so bizarre that it seems like someone else’s record got imported into yours by accident. Clearly there is a big difference between esophageal cancer and lymphoma due to an enlarged lymph node that I think you indicated previously was in your clavicle area and clearly visible in photographs. If that isn’t successful, I agree... time to see another oncologist.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:41 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,560 times
That's really weird.. did they perhap have the wrong persons medical sheet?

That's seems super weird but if true, i would be changning oncologists pretty quick!

Old 07-25-2019, 10:43 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Have you contacted your oncologist? It is so bizarre that it seems like someone else’s record got imported into yours by accident. Clearly there is a big difference between esophageal cancer and lymphoma due to an enlarged lymph node that I think you indicated previously was in your clavicle area and clearly visible in photographs. If that isn’t successful, I agree... time to see another oncologist.
No. We had a dispute about “my smoking” during the exam. I thought I had cleared it up. Apparently, not. It just seems like he connected all the dots in the wrong way. Sick looking, thin person who is coughing and smells like smoker == smoker for him and not someone who is naturally thin, happened to have a bad head cold and just walked through a smoke-filled room.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:44 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I would raise hell with the oncologist and then with your PCP. I have never really read the doc's actual notes, but I've never had a problem as potentially serious as yours. This is nothing to eff around with - Raise hell with the first two doctors and if they don't respond appropriately, go back to step one and find a new PCP. That will be a setback, but this needs to be investigated thoroughly. At the very least, your PCP should refer you to a new oncologist.

You must be very stressed out and uncertain. You need medical professionals who are on your side right now.

And now I'm wondering what my files say. I always say I have about a drink a month, don't smoke and use marijuana edibles occasionally for severe headaches. My file probably has me as a chain-smoking, alcoholic pothead. LOL.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I would raise hell with the oncologist and then with your PCP. I have never really read the doc's actual notes, but I've never had a problem as potentially serious as yours. This is nothing to eff around with - Raise hell with the first two doctors and if they don't respond appropriately, go back to step one and find a new PCP. That will be a setback, but this needs to be investigated thoroughly. At the very least, your PCP should refer you to a new oncologist.

You must be very stressed out and uncertain. You need medical professionals who are on your side right now.

And now I'm wondering what my files say. I always say I have about a drink a month, don't smoke and use marijuana edibles occasionally for severe headaches. My file probably has me as a chain-smoking, alcoholic pothead. LOL.
The OP’s PCP seemed to indicate initially that it was an emergency, from what I recall. I wouldn’t suggest to her that she goes back to scratch and get a new PCP as that could take months. I would just contact your PCP and explain what happened and either make your own appointment with a second opinion place like you discussed in another thread or ask him/her to refer you to another doctor who is going to properly diagnose you and order the appropriate test.

Old 07-25-2019, 10:56 AM

1,013 posts, read 724,840 times
That’s so unprofessional. I would demand that the speculative information about smoking and drinking be removed from any record on which it was entered. And as another poster said, find a new doctor.

FWIW, I have been accused of being a smoker or former smoker because my lung function is so poor. (grew up in a home with a chain-smoking father) When I say I don’t smoke, they ask when I stopped (umm, never started). But I have what sounds like a smoker’s cough.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness