Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 PM

29 posts, read 14,175 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old guy and I've suffered from generalized anxiety disorder since my early teens. Nausea, digestive problems, major headaches, tremors, fatigue and severe episodes of depression - I've had it all. Tried therapy and meds, it's a lost battle and there's no point in fighting it.

Needless to say, I've never had a girlfriend or had sex. From the outside, I look like an average guy looks wise, though. Lately, I've actually been looking more bulky since I've been going to the gym a lot.

Recently I discovered a lump in one of my testicles and had strange spots in my gland. I got over the shame and went to the urologist.

While doing some routine questions, he suddenly asked out of the blue "And when did you last have sex?". I was caught completely off guard and hesitated. Noticing my embarrassment, he quickly said "Oh I mean, if you're sexually active. Just so I could give some context to the possibility of STDs...".

I just answered "Never had" and he quickly brought up the next question.

How embarrassing is this? No idea what he might have though about it.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,276,253 times
No need to be embarrassed. My son would have given the same answer but for religious reasons. (He's now happily married with 3 kids.) Doctors have heard everything, especially those who deal with private parts.

I'm 66 and every time I see mine and get a renewal for a prescription that makes sex possible for me without excruciating pain, my doc asks if I'd like to be tested for STDs.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
No need to be embarrassed. My son would have given the same answer but for religious reasons. (He's now happily married with 3 kids.) Doctors have heard everything, especially those who deal with private parts.

I'm 66 and every time I see mine and get a renewal for a prescription that makes sex possible for me without excruciating pain, my doc asks if I'd like to be tested for STDs.
Yes, he eventually forgot it but I'm sure I was the joke of the day there.

I had a follow up appointment today but didn't show out of fear of more embarrassing sex questions.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:07 PM

45,484 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJolt View Post

I had a follow up appointment today but didn't show out of fear of more embarrassing sex questions.
Probably not.

You need to get over your embarrassment. The doctor was doing his damned job. Ruling out some things or being able to consider others.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Probably not.

You need to get over your embarrassment. The doctor was doing his damned job. Ruling out some things or being able to consider others.
He said from the size and shape it was probably nothing but wanted me to do a testicular ultrasound. But I'm too embarrassed to go back there.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,409,246 times
I'm sure you were mortified but doctors sometimes have a bad way of asking.

As a female, I was seeing my new gyno...just for context I'm in my 50's and not currently married. Nonetheless she asked me the same question you were asked but I was up in stirrups so not the most comfortable. So, when was the last time I had sex. I was counting on my fingers, 1...2...3...4...5 and she blurted out 5 years?! No, I corrected her - 5 DAYS! Wow...yes, the opposite of you but extremely irritating nonetheless. Sometimes people just need to know when to keep their mouth shut. I ended up dumping her, for various reasons.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:23 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,782,621 times
Quote:

Most likely, you weren't.

Frankly, you're not that special!

Old 09-18-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Most likely, you weren't.

Frankly, you're not that special!
Oh I know I'm not special, I'm just cattle for him. Still, there's surely cause for some giggles in my case.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,782,621 times
Quote:
Oh I know I'm not special, I'm just cattle for him. Still, there's surely cause for some giggles in my case.
Why? I know of no rule stating that men must have sex, under pain of ridicule. Even more, that a man must have sex or else ridicule himself. Which it seems you are doing.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Why? I know of no rule stating that men must have sex, under pain of ridicule. Even more, that a man must have sex or else ridicule himself. Which it seems you are doing.
I don't know but he made that question so matter of factly that it seems even he was surprised to find there was another answer other than "this week" or "yesterday" for someone my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness