Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 06:38 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I went wine shopping yesterday and I hit a mother lode on my first of 3 planned stops.....so I didn't have to hit the other two. Four cases, two cooking, white, and two drinking, red, and at the current reduced consumption, the cooking ought to last me 71 meals and the drinking......144 days.

I opened one of the new Chardonnay's to taste what I got. Four ounces in me, it was decent, over prepping dinner, a cup into the spaghetti topping (two types of fish, oysters, bleu cheese, water, olives, spices). Topping poured over the spaghetti and croutons, Parmesan over the spaghetti, consumed with a 4 oz glass of an opened Cabernet.

Salt wise, some things were measured like the bleu cheese and oysters, somethings not like the croutons and Parmesan. After it was all consumed, I sat there, wanting another glass of the Cabernet, but in the minutes that passed, not doing anything, the thirst eventually went away and I didn't.

Finally, around here, in Texas, for me, over a gallon of chilled well water is consumed daily. It's the taste of the chilled water and probably habit as well, that keeping very hydrated is a measure against kidney stones.
Just for your info, parmesan cheese has a very high level of sodium. I used to sprinkle parmesan on just about everything, to the point that my officemate complained about the smell, but have given it up completely. Now I throw garlic and onion powder (not salt) on pretty much every dish that's not sweet. I will never have to worry about vampires!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:10 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
My husband is also on a low sodium diet due to BP. He can use "no salt" though, which has potassium rather than sodium. Swiss cheese is low sodium as opposed to most cheese. You can find canned tomatoes, boullion, and many other no/low sodium products at most grocery stores or online.

Unfortunately regular bread is loaded with sodium, BUT you can find no sodium bread recipes online. My recipe uses egg white instead of sodium. I just reduce the liquid in the recipe by about 2T and add an egg white. Sometimes I just use the whole egg and reduce the liquid a little more. I use my bread machine.

GOOD LUCK!!
What breads are people eating that are high sodium, I wonder? The breads I eat are not high sodium.

I eat Nature's Own Whole Grain bread (sodium is about 1.7g per calorie).
I also eat WalMart Whole Wheat bread (sodium is about the same as Nature's Own Whole Grain)

A raw carrot is about the same (about 1.7g sodium per calorie).

Cabot white cheddar cheese, a favorite of mine, is about the same.

I think what matters is the mix of the foods a person eats in a day. Even low sodium canned foods are high, in comparison with other foods. I ate 1/2 can low sodium chicken...it had a whopping 4.2g of sodium per calorie. That's high for me. If I don't make up for it with other things I eat that day, I'll go over max sodium recommended.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
I went wine shopping yesterday and I hit a mother lode on my first of 3 planned stops.....so I didn't have to hit the other two. Four cases, two cooking, white, and two drinking, red, and at the current reduced consumption, the cooking ought to last me 71 meals and the drinking......144 days.

I opened one of the new Chardonnay's to taste what I got. Four ounces in me, it was decent, over prepping dinner, a cup into the spaghetti topping (two types of fish, oysters, bleu cheese, water, olives, spices). Topping poured over the spaghetti and croutons, Parmesan over the spaghetti, consumed with a 4 oz glass of an opened Cabernet.

Salt wise, some things were measured like the bleu cheese and oysters, somethings not like the croutons and Parmesan. After it was all consumed, I sat there, wanting another glass of the Cabernet, but in the minutes that passed, not doing anything, the thirst eventually went away and I didn't.

Finally, around here, in Texas, for me, over a gallon of chilled well water is consumed daily. It's the taste of the chilled water and probably habit as well, that keeping very hydrated is a measure against kidney stones.
Parmesan, bleu cheese, and olives are all very salty. Who knows if the spices you used are salty. A single serving of blue cheese can be 50% of your RDA of salt, and then adding in the olives and cheese... you might have hit it in the meal.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
This article is interesting, salt is not always responsible for high Blood pressure

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317099.php

I tend to agree, as when I was first dx with High BP I went on a radical salt free diet, I cooked everything from scratch, including chutneys. My BP did not go down. I belive some individuals are salt sensitive, & those people need to cut & reduce the salt intake. I am not one of those so I use salt every day. You can monitor yourself, by eating low salt & checking your numbers. Like many other things it is no a one size fits all regarding salt.

That article says some peoples BP went UP on a low salt diet.
This is what I believe. We eat hardly any processed foods but do add Himalayan salt to our foods. I'm not going to go salt-free, our bodies need it.

Not on any meds and not starting now, despite somewhat elevated BP at times.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:45 PM

7,260 posts, read 5,139,849 times
-haven't read thru this thread, but--

The history of treating hi bp started in the days when they had no meds. "Your age + 100" was considered ok. For those with extremely hi bp on the verge of exploding, the only thing they could do was to severely restrict salt & water intake using the "rice & water diet." Once you were put on that, you had a poor outlook anyway.

They figured the salt restriction meant you'd have less water retention and the bp would come down. So they next came up with diuretics-- they inhibited the retention of salt by the kidneys-- same result, relative dehydration and a small response in bp...

The problem with salt restriction is that your body senses that and secretes more of the hormones that cause you to retain more salt-- you're actually getting worse. Meds like the ACE Inhibitors and ARPs block that response. This is why salt restriction isn't effective for TamSav in the OP.

If you don't have hi bp, CHF, certain liver or kidney problems, no reason to restrict salt. It may actually be bad for you, raising your angiotensinogen-renin-aldosterone levels.

Even if you have hi bp and are taking meds, don't go nuts restricting salt. Moderation.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:26 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Even if you have hi bp and are taking meds, don't go nuts restricting salt. Moderation.

All you have to do ischeck your blood pressure after having something salty, and you'll see if it affects your blood pressure or not. Don't believe what people on the internet tell you, and all their theories and so-called expert knowledge....simply check your blood pressure to get the truth.

Even on meds, if I have soup and check my BP, it is always higher than normal. Which is why I rarely have soup, actually never, now that I know it raises my BP even when I'm on meds.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:41 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
One other thing:

For more severe hypertension, often a diuretic is prescribed. Well, you can do that now, without a prescription, by using Nature's own diuretic:

Water!

Yes, drinking a lot of water can help considerably with water retention (counterintuitively). Also, sodium in the body will be reduced to some extent by drinking a lot of water, simply by the difference in osmotic pressure of salt dissolved in the blood vs. the water in your stomach.

Unfortunately, essential hypertension is to some extent inherited and has to do with the physical structure of one's circulatory system. In my case, a low salt diet and exercise meant that I did not have hypertension till my mid 50s whereas my mother had hers from her later 30s.
I'll second this one. I drink a ton of water, almost a gallon during hot days. I keep a couple gallons of ice water in the fridge and nothing (except lemonade and margaritas) tastes as good. I just generally keep a glass full with a straw and sip all day.

When I was in ICU for my aneurysm, I finally got tired of asking the nurses for water and just asked if a pitcher could be put on my tray (they were happy to do it, too). But while I was there chillin' with the water, I was told my salt levels were going down further than they liked and would I please eat something from the dinner menu with salt in it? I was never so happy about being ordered to salt my food and eat potato chips.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:38 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,908,150 times
Quote:
They aren't too happy with my BP and one of the things they suggested was less salt.

Well, I am hardly one to use the shaker but looking at the food I eat, from bread to canned tomatoes (and more), it's loaded!

So aside from more careful shopping (I would think with my lack of processed foods diet I was safe) and perhaps baking my own French bread instead of buying it, what else can be done to suck out the salt before it goes over the lips? Open my tomatoes can, put them in with a potato before I put them in my salad?
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Hypertension with medication for many years. I don't like the taste of salty foods and never reach for the salt shaker so it never occurred to me that salt was an issue until one of my medical providers suggested a reduction in salt.

I went home and read the labels of everything I had in the house and was astounded to see how much salt there was. My favorite foods (canned soups and American cheese) were the worst of the lot.

I threw all of that stuff out and started reading labels at the store. I changed from American cheese to Swiss cheese and avoided processed foods. I try not to buy anything with a sodium content of more than 6-8% with occasional exceptions but nothing over 12%.

Within weeks my BP dropped to normal range and shortly thereafter I was able to discontinue the medication.

Yes, salt can very well be the culprit and if you don't look at the labels you don't realize how much of it is in foods. Read the labels. Buy only low sodium content and avoid the shaker like the plague.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Parmesan, bleu cheese, and olives are all very salty. Who knows if the spices you used are salty. A single serving of blue cheese can be 50% of your RDA of salt, and then adding in the olives and cheese... you might have hit it in the meal.
I'm not sure (don't have it in front of me) on the bleu cheese and a single serving being 50%. Now, how I use to do it, not measuring, sure, but now I measure.

Parmesan I will need to work on, either by measuring as it comes out of the "jar" or going back to the wedges and grating. Probably the same note, measuring, on the olives.

Sigh, there are "trade offs" between the salt in things and then, being creative which can be relaxing in cooking my own meals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
I threw all of that stuff out and started reading labels at the store. I changed from American cheese to Swiss cheese and avoided processed foods. I try not to buy anything with a sodium content of more than 6-8% with occasional exceptions but nothing over 12%.
Mmmmm, love Swiss cheese but usually, till now, don't get it because it is more expensive.

Well, today, I have to make a trip out to Wally World for another reason, so I'll drift over to that section, to check out the stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Since I don't go to doctors, I have no idea what my BP is. I will say this much. When I lived in SW Florida for 10 years, I craved salt. Didn't before moving there, and haven't since then.

Must have had something to do with all the heat and humidity. Maybe you should just trust what you body is telling you to do? I also hate red meat, but when I start craving steaks, I go with it.
I am not too crazy about them either. Before, I was using 'alternate' methods, such as being checked every 3 months at the dentist where they told me it was just on the lower edge of the high side, but I figured that was okay since I had to drive an hour there.....and I was going to the dentist!

But, now, a situation (which I won't go into) has forced me back in their ball park and I need to be listening to them to bring it down, one way or another. Hopefully, cutting back on my bury it with seasoning and my drinking will bring it down, to say nothing about my weight (which isn't bad but still, less alcohol.....).

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-23-2019 at 05:42 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 10:47 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This is what I believe. We eat hardly any processed foods but do add Himalayan salt to our foods. I'm not going to go salt-free, our bodies need it.

Not on any meds and not starting now, despite somewhat elevated BP at times.
The thing with processed foods is sodium is also a preservative, and the canning process takes away the salty taste.

Cooking does that, too. But not salting before cooking, adding a little salt at the end of cooking, which is what Himalayan salt is, a finishing salt, gives you the saltiness you like, with out all the sodium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness