Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 06:42 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
7up and Sprite have citric acid (among other clear sodas), and that’s what’s good for breaking down the stones.

I had lithotripsy on mine done under anesthesia. I was supposed to have stents in my ureter tubes so that the fragments could pass more easily, but when the nurse removed my catheter, she accidentally pulled out my stents. Needless to say, when I got home and started passing those fragments, it was the most painful experience of my life. I ended up back in the ER puking in the lobby from the pain.
They left what looked like a piece of weed eater line in me for a week after the Ureteroscopic Stone Removal. It had a smaller string coming out of me; I had no idea how long it was until my urologist told me to turn my head and cough as he yanked on the little string. That was painful; but the night after he pulled the string thing out was the worst pain of my life. It could have been leftover small stones? I don't know; but it was miserable and I would not want to repeat it again. To me the Lithotripsy was a cake walk compared to that one.

The big problem with the Lithotripsy is that they want to smash the stones as they start to move. As far as I know we do not have Lithotripsy equipment in our area; it travels here twice a month (I think). Once the stones start to move, if your lucky, they will pass naturally in just a day or two. So by the time the mobile unit makes its next visit you probably will not need its services.

Fortunately I have passed all my recent stones 'naturally'. Usually what happens is that I start to pass on a Friday night; right after my urologist goes away for a long weekend. Of course they tell you to go to the hospital; but what can they do without an urologist available? They can monitor you and send you a hefty bill that will increase the pain and the pressure on your pocketbook or wallet.

For the very last stones I passed I went to my GP's PA. She gave me a prescription of Tamsulosin and also had an ultrasound performed. It showed stones in both my left and right kidney. I passed the one in my right kidney since then. The left one is holding out and it has been over a month. I am not in any pain; but I do know that I still have to pass the stone in my left kidney. Hopefully it is not related to my evil twins in that paper cup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 01:07 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Thank you all. I really appreciate it.

I think this diverticulitis thing has been a long while getting to this point. I also don’t think my lack of sleep is helping too much either. Just taking it very easy and working from home.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Thank you all. I really appreciate it.

I think this diverticulitis thing has been a long while getting to this point. I also don’t think my lack of sleep is helping too much either. Just taking it very easy and working from home.
Keep us informed how everything works out for you. Best of luck to a speedy recovery!

Old 10-25-2019, 08:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

I have a friend who gets a lot of kidney stones. He tends to drink a lot of tea and instead of taking Pepcid or something like Prilosec for heartburn, he pops tums frequently. He think that he just has a lot of calcium due to taking so many Tums.
Yes, the Tums were the cause of my ex's frequent kidney stones.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:53 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Keep us informed how everything works out for you. Best of luck to a speedy recovery!
It’s definitely a slow go. I’m on the antibiotics on my 5th day. I do feel about 50% better. Pain is gone. Not constant nausea anymore. That’s slowly getting there.
The fatigue is crazy. May be because I was in pain and not sleeping for so long. Pain ceased two days ago and just occasional pressure now.

Much more manageable.

I will pay attention to these symptoms in the future and head it off before it ever gets that bad again. That was miserable!

Old 10-27-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
It’s definitely a slow go. I’m on the antibiotics on my 5th day. I do feel about 50% better. Pain is gone. Not constant nausea anymore. That’s slowly getting there.
The fatigue is crazy. May be because I was in pain and not sleeping for so long. Pain ceased two days ago and just occasional pressure now.

Much more manageable.

I will pay attention to these symptoms in the future and head it off before it ever gets that bad again. That was miserable!
I know that the colonoscopy is no fun; especially the prep and immediately afterwards. But don't put it off; it will give you peace of mind or at least a prognosis for the next stage of treatment. Dr. Covington and his staff, if you are real close, does a great job. They work out of the ambulatory building in Stroudsburg: https://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Darell_Covington.html. I just had one in July that was long overdue. The last one I had over ten years ago and I had put it off because I was afraid that my polyps had returned and I would get a bad prognosis - fortunately I was wrong. I was also afraid of being euthanized because you read so many negative comments about euthanasia and the elderly; I'm 72. I didn't loose any marbles that I know of and I came around quickly in recovery without any side effects. I ate right away after getting home; I wanted to so that I could get rid of the bloating feeling and all the gas; I wanted to feel normal again.

Like I said before it was only 2 to 3 hours from the time I arrived till the time my son drove me home.

I am glad that you're feeling better and that you're out of pain. But get a handle on your problem so that it does not return. If you have a kidney stone in your bladder you might feel that when you finally pass the stone. I usually feel the signs of it making that last voyage to freedom and that is when I start using my little strainer. You can pick up a little strainer at CVS, Walgreens, or on Amazon. Or, if you have long rubber gloves and see it in the bottom of the bowl at home, you could pick it out. If your urologist can send it out to be analyzed then they can tell you exactly what kind of stones you are suffering from.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you continue to feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness