Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 12:08 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
The presence of blood( even a little bit) in the stool sample will also give a positive Cologuard result.
The blood might be from hemorrhoids, or some other non-cancerous source anywhere in the GI tract.

So a positive Cologuard result doesn't always mean cancer. But you do have to check out a positive result.

That's my situation, prone to hemorrhoids (must have been from my days of flying the F-105.....and if you believe that then let me show you this swell bridge), so I can't even go for the easier methods.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 12:56 PM

14,931 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Don't panic. But I kind of did, too, when my Dr. called with the positive result.

She said, "Now I'm not saying you have cancer, but..."

That was a crummy approach, imho. If she would have said, "There can be many causes for the positive result (bleeding, non-cancerous polyps, hemorrhoids, genetics), but you need to get it checked out..." might have been much better. But once I heard the "C" word, I focused on that!

Docs--don't panic your patients!! Stress is bad....

Anyhow, my colonoscopy went fine. Did find internal hemorrhoids which were asymptomatic--likely the cause of the blood...

Don't panic...I waited a few months for my procedure, too. Its rough, the waiting, but focus on a happy outcome and continue to eat well and exercise...
I wonder if doctors feel they need to present the worse possible scenario for positive occult blood ( or Cologuard) results so that patients take the results seriously and follow the instructions for confirmatory testing. It might be fear of possible cancer that motivates some who might otherwise blow off positive screening results to get their colonoscopies. They can be immensely relieved later when the colonoscopies reveal all is ok, but they'd be taking chances and never know for sure intil it was too late if they don't get the tests.

I had a positive occult blood in early 2018, and when my PCP called me with the results, she mentioned the possibility of cancer, and referred me to a general surgeon for a colonoscopy. I responded that I thought it was more likely hemorrhoids, that I'd get the colonoscopy anyway and be happy there was no cancer.

The surgeon suggested that I get an upper GI endoscopy too, to look for bleeding in the upper GI tract as well. He explained that in the event my colonoscopy was normal, I'd probably have to come back for the upper GI to look further for the sourcd of bleeding. He pointed out my lab results showing progressively worsening anemia as evidence that there was some significant bleeding somewhere.

The colonoscopy was ok, not even a polyp. But the upper GI showed several areas of gastric erosion and bleeding ulcers. I was treated for those, and over time they got better. It wasn't cancer, but bleeding ulcers that rupture or erode through the stomach lining into the peritoneum can be disastrous, and mine would probably have gone that route had they not been discovered. So I'm glad I didn't dismiss my positive occult blood results.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:13 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
All these tests and I still live with "how necessary" sure can put a lot of people in a fear mode. I was there with mam test over 30 yrs ago and never did another one. I've never done the colon either but that's ME, and I'm 81. An MD gave me the test to take home and send back the sample, if that's the same thing, and that was at least 10 yrs ago and I never did it.

This is why I work to steer as clear as possible from the docs, they will find something if you let them.
My mother felt the exact same way. That’s why she died at 82 of colon cancer that had spread to her bones. Very very painful.

Don’t skip your tests. That’s just crazy.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My mother felt the exact same way. That’s why she died at 82 of colon cancer that had spread to her bones. Very very painful.

Don’t skip your tests. That’s just crazy.
One of my antioxidants that is said to protect the colon is what I'm banking on. Did your mom do any supplements. I'm headed to 82, my mom made it to 91, never a test. So.....https://www.healthyandnaturalworld.c...erforms-chemo/

And Mayo and City of Hope and others have already been doing clinicals with grape seed ex and colon cancers. But I don't plan on getting it!!!

Old 10-25-2019, 04:45 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
Actually some doctors won’t do colonoscopies after age 70 because your lining thins and you are at risk of perforations. If this happens people often die because sepsis sets in. I will get one more before 70 and then I am done. My mom got colon cancer at 84. It was caught early because a polyp ruptured. She had surgery and was in the hospital off and on for 13 weeks despite being healthy previously. Then 2 years later she got lymphoma. She died slowly and painfully. She would have been better off if they never caught the colon cancer.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:50 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Actually some doctors won’t do colonoscopies after age 70 because your lining thins and you are at risk of perforations.
My dad had a perforation (but they told us it was an appendicitis) at the age of 83 never really recovered.

I believe the science is there that Vitamin D is very protective against colon cancer. It is particularly so even as compared to anything else. Just be sure you have sufficient Vitamin D and that will cut you risk.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Actually some doctors won’t do colonoscopies after age 70 because your lining thins and you are at risk of perforations. If this happens people often die because sepsis sets in. I will get one more before 70 and then I am done. My mom got colon cancer at 84. It was caught early because a polyp ruptured. She had surgery and was in the hospital off and on for 13 weeks despite being healthy previously. Then 2 years later she got lymphoma. She died slowly and painfully. She would have been better off if they never caught the colon cancer.
Well, many die and never know what cancers may have been lurking in their bodies. Go for the tests and they'll find.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I thought there was an age cutoff in this test.

I've told this story before but I'll repeat it. My neighbor is 92 or 93, I lose track. She was faithful for most of her life with the 2 big tests that we're supposed to have....until she met me and that was about 12 yrs ago give or take, and I led her to Grape Seed and she has been devoted taker all those years and no more tests. Wished she had known me earlier as she said she would have stopped the tests sooner. We've had some really good health conversations over the years.

And it's amusing I guess, how many laugh at my constant talk about this antioxidant.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-25-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 10-25-2019, 04:54 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,514,055 times
It depends on the doctor.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:08 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,767 times
Quote:
I am 73 and just had one. I was a special needs person due to my heart issues, but things were fine. I am due back in 5 years since I had previous polyps (not his time, though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness