Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 04:52 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,333,320 times

Advertisements

This one taken at a local Costco two days ago, was circulating in the social media.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 05:43 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,581,272 times
I have some garden-variety "surgical" masks (the sort you buy in a reputable drugstore) and I'm feeling like I should wear them if I get sick, when I am at home when my elderly mom is around. I know that these masks *don't* protect the wearer from anything, but it seems to me that my intended use for them is what they ought to be used for (keeping your own germs away from vulnerable people).

I work around medical personnel (nurses, doctors)...and in a building connected to a hospital...and I'm scared I'll get sick and bring home germs to my mom. I got a regular flu shot last fall for this reason (don't care if I get sick, just don't want my mom getting sick).

Right now my plan is to wash and sanitize the hell out of my hands at every opportunity, do this at home as well, and if I start feeling like I'm coming down with something, will wear a mask when I'm around her at home. I suppose the best thing to do is to just isolate myself from her in general... unfortunately she doesn't really understand the gravity of the situation and that people in her age group are very vulnerable to COVID, and I can't move out.

It's hard to find helpful information on basic face masks because, right now, all you see are DON'T WEAR A MASK! But if you believe you're sick and want to protect others, you should wear one!!

Old 03-10-2020, 05:56 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I have some garden-variety "surgical" masks (the sort you buy in a reputable drugstore) and I'm feeling like I should wear them if I get sick, when I am at home when my elderly mom is around. I know that these masks *don't* protect the wearer from anything, but it seems to me that my intended use for them is what they ought to be used for (keeping your own germs away from vulnerable people).

I work around medical personnel (nurses, doctors)...and in a building connected to a hospital...and I'm scared I'll get sick and bring home germs to my mom. I got a regular flu shot last fall for this reason (don't care if I get sick, just don't want my mom getting sick).

Right now my plan is to wash and sanitize the hell out of my hands at every opportunity, do this at home as well, and if I start feeling like I'm coming down with something, will wear a mask when I'm around her at home. I suppose the best thing to do is to just isolate myself from her in general... unfortunately she doesn't really understand the gravity of the situation and that people in her age group are very vulnerable to COVID, and I can't move out.

It's hard to find helpful information on basic face masks because, right now, all you see are DON'T WEAR A MASK! But if you believe you're sick and want to protect others, you should wear one!!
I was in a doctor's office today. There were large signs in the entryway about the virus explaining what to do. And it also said, If you have a cough, Ask for a Mask.

There was a sanitizing station all set up with tissues and hand sanitzer. You used that before you entered the waiting room. (In the waiting room was a guy wearing a mask and coughing his brains out.)

There was hand sanitizer everywhere and the sign Ask for a Mask. The masks are for you to wear if you have a cough so that you don't cough into the air or onto someone or even onto a surface. They were not handing out boxes of masks, just a mask to wear while you are in their office. When you leave you take the mask off carefully and dispose of it. It doesn't protect you, it is to protect other people. Important things are to use hand sanitizer and let it dry and also to wash your hands with soap and hot water, rubbing your hands together, washing the soap off thoroughly to get rid of whatever may have been there.

For an elevator, use your knuckle, not your finger. For doors, I've been using a combination of hand sanitizer and tissues. Be careful but you do not need a mask to protect yourself because it won't protect you. (What they were handing out at the dr's office were those cheesecloth type masks that hook onto the ears--that won't protect from much except if you happen to sneeze or cough on someone. Maybe they'd remind you not to touch your face too.)

Old 03-25-2020, 09:54 AM

497 posts, read 696,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
none. No. Stop buying masks. The government has told you this repeatedly. Are you sick? Thrn why buy a mask??
This is exactly why the general public should be wearing masks. Half of Diamond Princess passengers who tested positive for COVID-19 were asymptomatic. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/us/di...sts/index.html

Half of the people with COVID-19 may not know it, so that is why we should all be wearing masks. IMHO, the use of masks among the general public should be encouraged and not discouraged (which is what has happened in the US).

Did the use of face masks among the general public in South Korea help to flatten the curve so quickly? Is that what is helping Japan to remain somewhat of an outlier?

COVID or no COVID, I would like to see the use of face masks among the general public to be more acceptable in the west.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
The n100 mask is a step-up from the n95............good luck finding either.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kira kira View Post
This is exactly why the general public should be wearing masks. Half of Diamond Princess passengers who tested positive for COVID-19 were asymptomatic. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/us/di...sts/index.html

Half of the people with COVID-19 may not know it, so that is why we should all be wearing masks. IMHO, the use of masks among the general public should be encouraged and not discouraged (which is what has happened in the US).

Did the use of face masks among the general public in South Korea help to flatten the curve so quickly?

Pretty sure it was the rapid and widespread testing that allowed them to isolate the infected rapidly.

Quote:

Is that what is helping Japan to remain somewhat of an outlier?

COVID or no COVID, I would like to see the use of face masks among the general public to be more acceptable in the west.

If there were any to wear, I doubt anyone would care. Its not in any way unacceptable, its just more important that healthcare has the few available.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:04 AM

137 posts, read 249,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's IMPOSSIBLE to wash your hands every time you touch something. Every single time your hand comes into contact with something, you would need to wash it. It's just not practical. Sure, wash your hands often- that's common sense. But in times of a deadly virus outbreak, even a paper mask over your mouth and nose is better protection than simply washing your hands every 20 minutes.

I saw a piece on the news this morning saying that the cheap masks don't help because the virus can get through the mask. That's so misinformed it's scary. Of course- these aren't gas masks. But they keep germs in when you cough, and they keep foreign things out when you're healthy. If someone sneezes near you, the paper mask can collect the errant spatter before it goes in your nose/mouth. The mask also helps keep your hands out of your mouth- people touch their lips hundreds of times per day without even realizing it. Going back to my first point, there are often germs on those hands even if you wash your hands every 20 minutes. So as soon as coronavirus gets to a place near me, I'll be wearing a mask in public places.

Totally agree !

Lot of misinformation out there , putting it mildly.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
A glass pot lid cinched up inside a hoodie is the best one I've seen. It protects your eyes, nose, mouth, and keeps the virus out of your hair as a bonus. Video online somewhere, didn't keep the link.

just kidding, sort of

Last edited by oldgardener; 04-15-2020 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 01:58 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
[quote=LilLisa83;57479322]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's IMPOSSIBLE to wash your hands every time you touch something. Every single time your hand comes into contact with something, you would need to wash it. It's just not practical. Sure, wash your hands often- that's common sense. But in times of a deadly virus outbreak, even a paper mask over your mouth and nose is better protection than simply washing your hands every 20 minutes.
/QUOTE]

It's called hand sanitizer
...because 70% alcohol hand sanitizer is sooooooo moisturizing? Yes, use it on your face and see what it does to your skin!

Old 04-15-2020, 02:12 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
[quote=reneeh63;57854670]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post

...because 70% alcohol hand sanitizer is sooooooo moisturizing? Yes, use it on your face and see what it does to your skin!
I believe it lessens the oils trapped in the skin.
Plus it sanitizes.

The home made mask I made is less cumbersome. Covers the mouth only. No need to wrapp it around the ears. Then I use nostril filters. All disposable. Cost about 1.20$ to make and I made ten so far.
Since I go out twice a week they should last awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness