Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 03:05 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLB75 View Post
Whenever I have a cold someone says “Did you take someone”. I don’t like NyQuil, DayQuil, or Mucinex. All make me feel lightheaded and also seem to raise my blood pressure. I don’t have high blood pressure usually. I monitor it everyday since I have white coat syndrome and anxiety issues that raise it. But I don’t like to take anything to exacerbate it. People don’t understand. Do you get that also when people ask if you took anything and you said no and they act as if you are strange or irresponsible? I’ll have tea, soup, Halls, and vitamin C. Maybe a little bit of cough medicine. If I have a fever I’ll take Tylenol.

Since you DO take tea, soup and vitamin C, the next time they ask if you took anything, just say 'yes' and leave it at that. There's no need to answer nosey questions. :-) (Nosey, but I'm sure they're coming from a place of concern.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 04:42 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Another banal question that doesn't need to be regarded as a threat, a challenge or rude. Simply responding with "Yep!" should suffice. Why does every molehill need to be made into a mountain?

Old 02-03-2020, 04:50 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Whenever I have a cold someone says “Did you take someone”. I don’t like NyQuil, DayQuil, or Mucinex. All make me feel lightheaded and also seem to raise my blood pressure. I don’t have high blood pressure usually. I monitor it everyday since I have white coat syndrome and anxiety issues that raise it. But I don’t like to take anything to exacerbate it. People don’t understand. Do you get that also when people ask if you took anything and you said no and they act as if you are strange or irresponsible? I’ll have tea, soup, Halls, and vitamin C. Maybe a little bit of cough medicine. If I have a fever I’ll take Tylenol.
So....you DO take something. Halls, Vitamin C, tea, soup. All things known to make people feel better, when they have a cold. In fact, tea and soup have a medicinal purpose, depending on the type of tea & soup.

No one asks me if I've taken anything, if I have a cold. But I rarely get colds. I can't remember the last time I had a cold (knock on wood).

I've read that echinacea is helpful. That's an herb, I think?

I'd think the best thing to do is bedrest, Vitamins, lots of fluids, hot tea w/lemon & honey, more vitamins (immune system), eat healthy stuff & not junk food (immune system). Not a good time to exercise, since the body's system should be devoted to building the immune system & battling the cold germs.

Old 02-04-2020, 02:23 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times
Quote:
Well, they are simply trying to offer you some help , that is all. Why make more of it than it needs to be ?

Old 02-04-2020, 10:17 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Questions like this make me recall the old saying about how, when you have a cold, if you take something it will take you a week to get over that cold. Or if you don't take anything, it will take you 7 days to get over that cold.

Old 02-04-2020, 11:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Questions like this make me recall the old saying about how, when you have a cold, if you take something it will take you a week to get over that cold. Or if you don't take anything, it will take you 7 days to get over that cold.
My old doctor said that all the time.

OP — realize the question comes from a caring place. Say yes, it’s true, and let it go. Even those who take stuff realize sometimes it doesn’t work much at all.

And it never works like it does in the commercials.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:01 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Coricidin HBP in made for those with high blood pressure. When I have a cold I usually take Advil Cold & Sinus because I can't stand my nose running and being stopped up.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:29 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
I wouldn't interpret "did you take something"
as concern for your well being.
Rather, it suggests the misguided approach that one must "take something" when not feeling well. Pop a pill!

Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
I would say they’re trying to see if they can suggest something to help you feel better. Also if you’re sneezing all over them then you need to either take something or stay home and keep your germs there, honestly. If you can suppress the coughing and sneezing enough it’s ok to go out but otherwise you’re spreading droplets that cause others to get sick more easily. You can still be contagious without sneezing and coughing of course but the germs stay closer to your body.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
This sounds like my situation completely! (Though Mucinex doesn't make me feel lightheaded, it also doesn't seem very effective to me, so why would I take it?)

Hey, aside note - I started taking Vitamin C every day in addition to a multi vitamin and I haven't had a cold that lasted over 3 days in several years now! In fact, I haven't been sick in years. But when I used to get sick more often (maybe once or twice a year) I would take a dose of Nyquil and a dose of Theraflu simultaneously (but no other Tylenol through the day) if I wanted to get some sleep. Wow, I would sleep but it gave me the craziest dreams! But sometimes I just needed to quit coughing and REST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness