Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 07:31 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Have you tried a low dose of a beta blocker? That works many times and side effects can be low.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:17 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
I was given a sample of Bystolic, which is a beta blocker. My cardiologist told me to take 1/2 as soon as I feel the first palpitation. I have been taking it for a few months. I only used about 8 pills in a few months. He asked me if the palpitations go away in 30 minutes to an hour and I told him that it usually takes a minimum of 2 hours. So, he thinks the beta blocker isn’t doing much and that the palpitations are probably stopping on their own after a few hours, but who knows?

Old 05-16-2020, 09:27 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
I took flecanide twice daily for mine, and it worked but too many side effects. For a while then I just took it as needed, and it worked in about 30 minutes. I don't usually need it any more. These things seems to come and go on their own many times it seems.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:58 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
A few nights ago, I felt a couple of little blips but it never got worse. Of course, after the first one, the night is ruined because now I am waiting for hours of uncomfortable palpitations and coughing. I had my appointment today and we went over the blood test which was perfect. So, he said that we know there is no blockages or anything going wrong with any of my levels. Since this only happens once every moth or so, he is not concerned and does not want me to go on medication. If it happens a couple of times a week, he would put me on something. He does not think I should consider any type of heart procedure at this time. He does not think I should see the electro physiologist unless the palpitations are more frequent. He thinks it could be stress or dehydration, etc. He wants me back in 3 months.

So, I am really back to square one where we do not know why this is happening, yet it does occur at any random time it wants to. I will check back after my next episode.
I know it's not easy to be anything other than stressed when you get those palpitations (it's your heart after all!), but from what you describe you spend a lot of time in anxious anticipation of further palpitations even when they stop after a short time. It's easy to do that, but it only makes your perception of the event much worse than it already is.

I guess your cardiologist isn't all that concerned with what's going on, which should be some comfort to you, but I know it isn't easy and it seems to me some reassuring words from your doctor (as to the benign nature of the palpitations, their infrequency, and as he's already informed you, results of other tests that rule out coronary artery or other heart disease, or other conditions-anemia, electrolyte imbalances, thyroid issues that might cause the irregular heart beats) would help.

And you aren't being dismissed by your cardiologist, seems with your upcoming appointments he is keeping an eye on things. As has been suggested by other posters, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to get a little help with the anxiety you experience around your palpitations. It's got to be tough, as well as disruptive to your life, to wait outside those ERs "just in case" when you experience a palpitation. Or to consider a day ruined altogether with a short-lived palpitation. Might help your perspective on this thing.

Good luck, I know it isn't easy, but you'll get there.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
I see your still having the episodes. I am also. It got better for awhile, less frequent and less intense, more manageable. Yesterday was quite bad though. Lasted most of the day and by night time I felt awful. Chest discomfort, a bit dizzy at times, heart pounding away. Mine sometimes causes coughing to if it gets bad. Of course bad anxiety along with it.. Going for hours! I was able to sleep thankfully(have had nights that it made it very tough). Like you, it scares me.. hard not to be. When your heart is flip flopping and feeling so strange it just signals to me that something must be wrong.

At this point I have had a nuclear stress test(was fine), echo also fine and a holter monitor(No episodes during it, so no help there). I have an appt early June and they will talk to me about a loop recorder and/or a heart cath. Really scared about those actually, they are more invasive it seems but if they think it will lead to a diagnosis then I will do it. Have you had those tests done? It’s so frightening when it happens and like you, I tend to worry that they will get worse or I will drop dead. I have a 7 month old and it scares me more thinking something could happen to me when I am alone with him. The doctor did say that it’s unlikely to cause me to suddenly die.. which is good but still causes worry. I worry I could pass out eventually to. Anyways, I sure hope we can both get it sorted out and have peace of mind!

Oh seems like yours is not happening often! That is great. Mine can be daily or several times a week. It’s so random, comes and goes or sometimes last for hours.
I guess the nature of your palpitations (ie, PVCs, SVT, etc) remains unknown right now, as the little varmints hid when you were wearing the monitor-very frustrating when they occur fairly often otherwise and are so disruptive to your life.

The heart cath and implanted loop monitor are intended, respectively, to definitely rule out coronary artery disease, and to detect cardiac arrhythmias that occur infrequently enough so they aren't detected by shorter time monitors. The normal stress test and echocardiogram results are encouraging, but it seems your cardiologist is concerned enough about what's going on (is there a family history of cardiac conditions, or in your own history?) that he/she is considering more testing to definitely rule out more potentially life-threatening conditions.

I've never personally had a loop monitor implanted (I have a pacemaker, that's a bit more involved, but I survived to tell the story and to thrive afterwords, LOL). I have a friend who has an implantable loop monitor, and you can't even see where the scar is at this point. As I understand it the monitor is about the size of a thumb drive, and is implanted directly under the skin on the left side of the chest. The cardiologist makes a small incision, and implants the monitor under the skin using a device (looks a bit like a syringe) that pushes the monitor into the area, and the incision is stitched up-takes a few minutes and done under local anesthesia. This monitor, like any other cardiac monitor, records the EKGs, but can do so for up to three years, so it can be valuable to detect arrhythmias that don't occur frequently. The implanted monitor transmits its findings to another monitor (either tabletop, or a phone App, depending on the patient and type of device), which transmits the findings for review by your doctor or clinic. The device also comes with a button (not sure of the details here), that you can push when you're feeling symptoms, and you can, on the request of your doctor/clinic, send a transmission which will document the event at the time you're feeling the symptoms. If your doctor recommends a loop monitor, in your shoes I'd probably agree to it as it might be the quickest and most sure way to pick up what's happening with your heart when you have those palpitations, and you can go from there.

As for the cardiac cath, this is considered the "gold standard"
for the detection of coronary artery disease. The stress test is also used for this purpose, but there can be false positives, and false negatives.
I can tell you from first hand experience what a cardiac cath is like (at least for me), as I had one before my cardiologist referred me to an electrophysiologist. It was about as uneventful and straight-forward as those things go. I had a diagnostic cath-as yours would be if you had one- so it was quick. It was done via my right radial artery (wrist), and took maybe five minutes. I was sedated but not asleep, and it involved very little pain (just a few seconds as the doc maneuvered the catheter through the radial artery, but not after that). The doctor told me I had the "coronary arteries of a teenager", so good news. While I'd not want to repeat this experience, looking back, it wasn't that bad. In your shoes, if your doctor recommended a cardiac cath, I would probably ask why he wanted it, specifically, when your stress tests were
normal. But should you have one, it wouldn't last long, and the pain would be minimal. It would also give you valuable information about the condition of your coronary arteries (and other cardiac information).

In any case, good luck.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:02 PM

Just to be clear, the palpitations happen very infrequently. Usually a month or two between episodes. What I do not understand is why it happens when it does. My daily life is normally the same routine every day. So, why that one night and not any days over 60 days? I haven’t waited outside the ER since that night in January. I do keep the local Fire Dept EMS phone # ready to go on my phone. While I never worry about the palpitations showing up, I do worry when the first one begins. So, normally, I don’t think about it. But when the palpitations begin, I can honestly say I am done for the night. I just brace myself for what is coming. I don’t think I can cause them because the other night, I had the tiniest blip and I was ready for another scary night. I kept telling myself to stop thinking about it or I will manifest it. That went on for hours but it never brought the palpitations on. It’s good to know my mind isn’t strong enough to cause these. At least my conscious mind, that is.

I have not done anything for stress or anxiety but what is there to even do? I don’t have too much stress, other than being married with two kids 9 and 11. No stress about money or work. Just aggravation with typical marriage and family stuff. Not sure what to do about anxiety. Sure, I don’t like flying, roller coasters or boats but since I have absolutely no plans on doing any of those things any time in the near future, or possibly the rest of my life, they don’t worry me. The palpitations are scarier than a plane because this is inside my body. It’s like drowning out in a lake. There is nothing anyone can do for me when it is happening so I am on my own and nothing can help me.thats what is so scary to me. So, I could be at a joyful party and when this happens, I can’t simply enjoy myself as if it is not happening.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I guess the nature of your palpitations (ie, PVCs, SVT, etc) remains unknown right now, as the little varmints hid when you were wearing the monitor-very frustrating when they occur fairly often otherwise and are so disruptive to your life.

The heart cath and implanted loop monitor are intended, respectively, to definitely rule out coronary artery disease, and to detect cardiac arrhythmias that occur infrequently enough so they aren't detected by shorter time monitors. The normal stress test and echocardiogram results are encouraging, but it seems your cardiologist is concerned enough about what's going on (is there a family history of cardiac conditions, or in your own history?) that he/she is considering more testing to definitely rule out more potentially life-threatening conditions.

I've never personally had a loop monitor implanted (I have a pacemaker, that's a bit more involved, but I survived to tell the story and to thrive afterwords, LOL). I have a friend who has an implantable loop monitor, and you can't even see where the scar is at this point. As I understand it the monitor is about the size of a thumb drive, and is implanted directly under the skin on the left side of the chest. The cardiologist makes a small incision, and implants the monitor under the skin using a device (looks a bit like a syringe) that pushes the monitor into the area, and the incision is stitched up-takes a few minutes and done under local anesthesia. This monitor, like any other cardiac monitor, records the EKGs, but can do so for up to three years, so it can be valuable to detect arrhythmias that don't occur frequently. The implanted monitor transmits its findings to another monitor (either tabletop, or a phone App, depending on the patient and type of device), which transmits the findings for review by your doctor or clinic. The device also comes with a button (not sure of the details here), that you can push when you're feeling symptoms, and you can, on the request of your doctor/clinic, send a transmission which will document the event at the time you're feeling the symptoms. If your doctor recommends a loop monitor, in your shoes I'd probably agree to it as it might be the quickest and most sure way to pick up what's happening with your heart when you have those palpitations, and you can go from there.

for the detection of coronary artery disease. The stress test is also used for this purpose, but there can be false positives, and false negatives.
I can tell you from first hand experience what a cardiac cath is like (at least for me), as I had one before my cardiologist referred me to an electrophysiologist. It was about as uneventful and straight-forward as those things go. I had a diagnostic cath-as yours would be if you had one- so it was quick. It was done via my right radial artery (wrist), and took maybe five minutes. I was sedated but not asleep, and it involved very little pain (just a few seconds as the doc maneuvered the catheter through the radial artery, but not after that). The doctor told me I had the "coronary arteries of a teenager", so good news. While I'd not want to repeat this experience, looking back, it wasn't that bad. In your shoes, if your doctor recommended a cardiac cath, I would probably ask why he wanted it, specifically, when your stress tests were
normal. But should you have one, it wouldn't last long, and the pain would be minimal. It would also give you valuable information about the condition of your coronary arteries (and other cardiac information).

In any case, good luck.
Thanks for the info

Old 05-16-2020, 06:44 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

In any case, good luck.
Thank you for the detailed reply! I was told that I am classed low risk after the last tests, but since symptoms continue we can keep investigating. Since the heart cath and monitor are considered elective procedures and elective was shut down at the time, told to wait until electives are allowed again. In that time, was told if symptoms stop I can opt to put off further testing. Had been thinking to delay it until a bad episode last night, continuing still today. Was 2 months since last bad episode. In between it’s been mild or not happening at all.

My only family history is my grandpa died of a sudden heart attack in his early 40s. My other grandpa had a heart issue I’m told but he lived into his 80s. Otherwise all my grandparents lived to 80/90s. Parents are alive and well in their 60s, aunts and uncles are all alive and well. No other heart issues. So, doctor at first was concerned but not overly worried about it I guess. Ruling out genetic heart issues was mentioned though. Otherwise I am 32 without other health issues, don’t smoke or drink. No heart concerns prior. Gave birth 7 months ago and they ruled out postpartum concerns related to the heart.

Thank you so much taking the time to give info on the tests, especially the cath as I have had some anxiety over it being done. I will definitely ask more about it, why it would be good for me and what they would be looking for specifically. I’m curious also for the reasoning. The last appt was telehealth and very quick, told more would be discussed at next in person appt so hopefully I can get questions cleared up then and figure out the best plan. It’s definitely troublesome when it happens and all I want is to know it’s not dangerous, I could live with it if I must as long as I can rest assured it isn’t something sinister.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed reply! I was told that I am classed low risk after the last tests, but since symptoms continue we can keep investigating. Since the heart cath and monitor are considered elective procedures and elective was shut down at the time, told to wait until electives are allowed again. In that time, was told if symptoms stop I can opt to put off further testing. Had been thinking to delay it until a bad episode last night, continuing still today. Was 2 months since last bad episode. In between it’s been mild or not happening at all.

My only family history is my grandpa died of a sudden heart attack in his early 40s. My other grandpa had a heart issue I’m told but he lived into his 80s. Otherwise all my grandparents lived to 80/90s. Parents are alive and well in their 60s, aunts and uncles are all alive and well. No other heart issues. So, doctor at first was concerned but not overly worried about it I guess. Ruling out genetic heart issues was mentioned though. Otherwise I am 32 without other health issues, don’t smoke or drink. No heart concerns prior. Gave birth 7 months ago and they ruled out postpartum concerns related to the heart.

Thank you so much taking the time to give info on the tests, especially the cath as I have had some anxiety over it being done. I will definitely ask more about it, why it would be good for me and what they would be looking for specifically. I’m curious also for the reasoning. The last appt was telehealth and very quick, told more would be discussed at next in person appt so hopefully I can get questions cleared up then and figure out the best plan. It’s definitely troublesome when it happens and all I want is to know it’s not dangerous, I could live with it if I must as long as I can rest assured it isn’t something sinister.
Sounds like you might be able to more or less breathe a sigh of relief if postpartum issues or family history issues have been ruled out, but I can understand the frustration and anxiety of not knowing when your palpitations will hit, or how long they will last. And also not knowing just what they are.

As you've probably been informed, most arrhythmias are more nuisance than sinister, once cardiac disease ( or arrthymias associated with genetic cardiomyopathies) have been ruled out. Though they can cause "tachycardia related cardiomyopathy" if they go on more or less constantly (that is what happened to my daughter, starting at age 24). Otherwise
happening occasionally is more of a disruption to the quality of life, than anything else.

And I guess your cardiologist, after ruling out problematic post partum issues, and family history, has determined that your arrhythmia/tachy issues aren't of an emergent nature, and can wait for this covid19 frenzy to subside to continue testing to see what's going on. I don't know if that's much comfort especially when you're going through an episode, but it isn't life threatening.

Would be good to see what's happening when you have a tachy episode, and with that, the frequency, and any symptoms you may have. The cardiologist may suggest anything from life style changes, to medication that will control the tachycardia (taken either when you have an episode-called the "Pill-In-Pocket" PIP, or on a regular basis to help prevent episodes).

Or, if it turns out your tachycardia is something like a "supraventricular tachycardia", (SVT)caused by an errant electrical pathway in and out of the AV node (fairly common among the SVTs, and found in younger people as well as older), your doctor might recommend referral to an electrophysiologist ( these guys handle the "electrical" portion of cardiac function, as opposed to the "plumbing", handled by the interventional cardiologists), for a possible ablation of the errant electrical pathway causing the problem. This is often recommended especially for young people with SVT, as it has a very high success rate for eradicating the problem, and eliminating the need for medication to control the tachycardia.

Not saying, of course, that you have SVT, or what is causing your palpitations, it's just information at this point.

In any case, hope you can get to the bottom of your cardiac issues, and get on with a plan to control them. Best of luck to you, and a virtual hug to that little baby!

Old 05-19-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:

Our situation is so similar. A bad episode and then gone for up to two months. Then, for no reason, it’s back. The scary part is that now it is on our minds, which is like a black cloud. I watch people and think how lucky they are that the thought of their heart stopping is not even a thought. Of course it could happen to anyone but until it happens to someone, the thought is not there. So, at this point, I see no future. The more it doesn’t happen, the more complacent I get, but then I worry more because each good day is one day closer to the next bad day. And that day could be the last one. I miss my life when this thought never entered my head way back in Nov 2019.

I am sorry to hear last night and today we’re bad. I hope they figure out your issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness