Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 11:45 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If they had symptoms in October, it could be indicative.

How? They could have had it at any time since October, and had no symptoms at all. Antibodies won't distinguish between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 01:13 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
There has been speculation for a couple of months now, that California was exposed to Covid19 early, due to the plethora of direct flights from China, including Wuhan. October/November being the period of first exposure speculated. There were people in CA with Covid-like symptoms at that time, though no proof, that what they had was Covid19, vs. another flu circulating then. Only when antibody tests become available, might there be some evidence of early exposure.
Quote:
If they had symptoms in October, it could be indicative.

Here's breaking news for WA State on that topic. Patients testing positive for antibodies had Covid19 symptoms in December. Experts there feel, that this pushes back by months the date that C-19 arrived in WA.
Other researchers in Seattle went back and tested swabs collected between January 1 and March to look for flu and did not find a swab positive for the coronavirus until one collected on February 21.

https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...if-in-november

"We tested 3600 samples collected in Jan 2020 for COVID-19 status and found zero positives. We tested 3308 samples collected in Feb 2020 and found a first positive on Feb 21 with a total of 10 samples testing positive in Feb."

As far as antibodies are concerned, they can only confirm an infection occurred, not when it happened. Someone could have had flu in December, then an asymptomatic coronavirus infection any time since then from which antibodies developed.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Who knew kids could test positive, not be sick in the conventional sense, but then go on to develop devastating symptoms like full cardiac arrest later. In the beginning the word was that it was barely effecting kids. This makes reopening schools even trickier.
I knew.

I read peer-reviewed medical studies by bona fide coronavirologists and not virologists, immunologists or cancer researchers who are wannabe coronavirologists.

It's called Kawasaki's Disease. It affects children up to ages 16-18 or so.

It's not entirely clear whether they must present symptoms of one of the many strains of corona virus or whether mere exposure is enough.

I believe it was first seen with HCOV-HKU1 and then reported with HCOV-NH (New Haven, Connecticut) and both HCOV-NL/NL63 (the Netherlands) and HCOV-MERS.

The medical diagnostics and volume of medical literature today is vastly superior than 20 years ago, and the diagnostics and literature in the year 2000 was vastly superior to 1980.

They're not sure if this is something that always existed with corona virus but went undetected because of a lack of technology or whether this is something has appeared with the recent mutations of corona virus in the last 20 years.

The good news is it's rare, but that's of little comfort to parents with a sick child. An infant in Kentucky survived, but a 16-year old is still hospitalized and wasn't doing well at last report. There have been a number of deaths and possibly more that went undiagnosed because not too many doctors are aware of or experienced with it.

Anyway, to answer your question, antibody does not equal immunity.

A few years ago, after they were able to get live Spanish Flu virus, they hunted down people born 1915-1916 and test them.

They were in their 90s and still had Spanish Flu antibodies in their blood.

But, then, so did baseball player Babe Ruth and 10s of 1,000s of others.

Babe Ruth got Spanish Flu and Spanish Flu antibodies and then like thousands and thousands of others, got Spanish Flu a 2nd time during the 2nd wave.

You won't have a 2nd wave of COVID-19 because you're gonna have Corona Season along with Flu Season.

You're just gonna suck it up and deal with it.

Yes, you'll have 120,000 to 500,000 deaths per year depending on how competent State governors are, but you cannot shut down your economy every 6 months for the next 20-30 years for the same reason the rest of the world can't shut down their economies every 6 months.

I imagine life in the US will be radically altered, as it will in the rest of the world.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:49 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I knew.

I read peer-reviewed medical studies by bona fide coronavirologists and not virologists, immunologists or cancer researchers who are wannabe coronavirologists.

It's called Kawasaki's Disease. It affects children up to ages 16-18 or so.

It's not entirely clear whether they must present symptoms of one of the many strains of corona virus or whether mere exposure is enough.

I believe it was first seen with HCOV-HKU1 and then reported with HCOV-NH (New Haven, Connecticut) and both HCOV-NL/NL63 (the Netherlands) and HCOV-MERS.

The medical diagnostics and volume of medical literature today is vastly superior than 20 years ago, and the diagnostics and literature in the year 2000 was vastly superior to 1980.

They're not sure if this is something that always existed with corona virus but went undetected because of a lack of technology or whether this is something has appeared with the recent mutations of corona virus in the last 20 years.

The good news is it's rare, but that's of little comfort to parents with a sick child. An infant in Kentucky survived, but a 16-year old is still hospitalized and wasn't doing well at last report. There have been a number of deaths and possibly more that went undiagnosed because not too many doctors are aware of or experienced with it.

Anyway, to answer your question, antibody does not equal immunity.

A few years ago, after they were able to get live Spanish Flu virus, they hunted down people born 1915-1916 and test them.

They were in their 90s and still had Spanish Flu antibodies in their blood.

But, then, so did baseball player Babe Ruth and 10s of 1,000s of others.

Babe Ruth got Spanish Flu and Spanish Flu antibodies and then like thousands and thousands of others, got Spanish Flu a 2nd time during the 2nd wave.

You won't have a 2nd wave of COVID-19 because you're gonna have Corona Season along with Flu Season.

You're just gonna suck it up and deal with it.

Yes, you'll have 120,000 to 500,000 deaths per year depending on how competent State governors are, but you cannot shut down your economy every 6 months for the next 20-30 years for the same reason the rest of the world can't shut down their economies every 6 months.

I imagine life in the US will be radically altered, as it will in the rest of the world.
Kawasaki disease has been associated in general with viral infections, not just coronavirus.

There is no way to know whether Babe Ruth got the same virus twice or two different viruses.

There is also no way to know whether anyone infected in the second wave had been previously infected. It is more logical to infer that they just managed to avoid getting it at all during the first wave.

I agree that COVID-19 will probably be endemic like flu. Its seasonality will not be known for a while yet.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:25 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,104,002 times
Recent studies - immunity up to 6 months after initial infection - link1, link2

Quote:
The presence of anti-spike or anti-nucleocapsid IgG antibodies was associated with a substantially reduced risk of SARS-CoV-2 reinfection in the ensuing 6 months. (Funded by the U.K. Government Department of Health and Social Care and others.)

Old 01-11-2021, 06:40 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Recent studies - immunity up to 6 months after initial infection - link1, link2
It makes no sense that they'd know since Covid wasn't even generally around in the UK until about 10 months ago. More Covid hysteria.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:32 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Wouldn't it be easy to put recovered people in the same room as new cases and see if they get corona again?
They'll have tests to measure how much Covid antibodies are in your system. Until then, you assume 5 months from the last booster shot of the vaccine.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtec...tibody-amounts

Old 01-11-2021, 08:22 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,104,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It makes no sense that they'd know since Covid wasn't even generally around in the UK until about 10 months ago. More Covid hysteria.
Thats why they can only make a claim of up to 6 months. Immunity may last much longer.

I think New England Journal of Medicine is generally regarded as good publication.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:44 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Thats why they can only make a claim of up to 6 months. Immunity may last much longer.

I think New England Journal of Medicine is generally regarded as good publication.
I agree. The "hysteria" part are people who use this to argue that we need to keep hiding under our sheets since they twist the words. They imply the immunity lasts only six months, not at least six months.

Last edited by jbgusa; 01-11-2021 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-23-2021, 11:46 AM

9,533 posts, read 16,522,023 times
I was sick in Oct and given a Covid Test because I had the symptoms. That test came back Negative. I got better but not completely. In Dec just 5 days before Christmas I started getting sick again, with the same symptoms and some new ones. This illness was much worse than the Oct illness. I went to the ER and they felt I had Covid and did another test. That test also came back Negative. So from Christmas week until about 10 days ago, I was very sick with what I assumed was really Covid. It was just not showing up at the time I had the tests done. I did get better starting about 10 days ago, though I still have bouts of where its difficult to breathe. The fatigue came on very quickly and went away very quickly. Same with the taste and smell problems. The chills, fever and rash seemed to linger longer but are gone thankfully. Yesterday I was given a Covid Antibody and another type of test, that shows if an infection or inflammation is present in the body. Both tests are positive.

So evidently I have had Covid all along and it has been lingering in my body. So those Covid Tests don't really show the whole picture as in my case. Many have it I think but the tests may show a Negative at time taken. The next day you could have the same test and be positive. The antibody test Im told shows a much clearer picture of what has been going on. I'm much better now and back to my usual activities with no problems. I did everything and then some not to get this virus. I live alone. I always have a mask on in public. I'm a retired person and had limited contact with people to say the least. Where I had problems with crowds not wearing masks was at a local gym I go to. I had mentioned it to the staff several times. Why are there 50 people in here and only 2 or 3 have masks on. They can't enforce it in Florida she said. Even at Walmart the majority of people have masks on. My guess my infection probably came from the gym. Wherever it came from I'm just glad I'm over it. Now if I could just get a vaccine shot here in overcrowded Florida.

Do watch yourselves. Really this virus is nothing to fool around with, and far to many are nonchalant about it. Well if I can get it with the limited exposure I had to people other than that gym and Walmart. Then it could very well be many have it and don't know it, but don't have the symptoms, but are spreading it all over the place.

I'm hoping the Doctor's office calls me on Monday about these Positive Tests. I imagine they would have to as I will be now be listed as another Positive Covid Case in Florida. I know if I'm not called I will be calling the Doctor to see if they think I'm completely ok now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness