Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 04:12 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
About 35 years ago I started having major debilitating panic attacks. My doc prescribed 1 mg. Xanax.. twice a day. At that dosage I was literally sliding against the walls to keep from falling over soI called my pharmacist and told him I feel like I'm stoned.. He laughed and said I was and suggested I halve the dosage. Like a good little patient I took them twice a day as prescribed but at half the dose. After being on them for a while I decided I didn't need them anymore and went off them completely.
OMG.. The panic attacks came back 1000 times worse than they were when I started on them. My doc suggested I wean myself off by cutting them in half each time. She was still prescribing the 1mg dosage. That didn't stop the anxiety attacks so I weaned myself off of them one teeny tiny little piece of Xanax at a time. It took me longer to get off them than I was on them. I wasn't mentally addicted to them. I was never looking for that 'high'. but my body was addicted to them and what angers me is that I had no clue until I tried to get off them.

I learned my lesson from them. I now have Valium for the occasion anxiety attack, or to calm me if I have to have a medical procedure done, but I don't take them every day and never will again after what I went through.

Memory loss. At one point while I was taking the Xanax, the doc put me on sleeping pills too. I don't know whether it was the Xanax or the sleeping pills or the combo but apparently I took my 4 unruly dogs to the vet to get their rabie shots and to this day, I have no memory of doing it. I only found out when I went to make an appt and the receptionist informed me that I was there the week before. I even found their rabies tags so I know I must have gone there, but I don't remember it at all.
I think it was 2005 that I thought I was having a heart attack and went to ER and was told a panic attack...there was an issue going on in my life with daughter and it was affecting me.

I took lorazepam for a while, 1/2mg daily and then heard about the memory and thought no way.

Started working more with magnesium and of course the inositol.

And meditating more often. My daughter got her life together via divorce...so we're fine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 04:13 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
About 35 years ago I started having major debilitating panic attacks. My doc prescribed 1 mg. Xanax.. twice a day. At that dosage I was literally sliding against the walls to keep from falling over soI called my pharmacist and told him I feel like I'm stoned.. He laughed and said I was and suggested I halve the dosage. Like a good little patient I took them twice a day as prescribed but at half the dose. After being on them for a while I decided I didn't need them anymore and went off them completely.
OMG.. The panic attacks came back 1000 times worse than they were when I started on them. My doc suggested I wean myself off by cutting them in half each time. She was still prescribing the 1mg dosage. That didn't stop the anxiety attacks so I weaned myself off of them one teeny tiny little piece of Xanax at a time. It took me longer to get off them than I was on them. I wasn't mentally addicted to them. I was never looking for that 'high'. but my body was addicted to them and what angers me is that I had no clue until I tried to get off them.

I learned my lesson from them. I now have Valium for the occasion anxiety attack, or to calm me if I have to have a medical procedure done, but I don't take them every day and never will again after what I went through.

Memory loss. At one point while I was taking the Xanax, the doc put me on sleeping pills too. I don't know whether it was the Xanax or the sleeping pills or the combo but apparently I took my 4 unruly dogs to the vet to get their rabie shots and to this day, I have no memory of doing it. I only found out when I went to make an appt and the receptionist informed me that I was there the week before. I even found their rabies tags so I know I must have gone there, but I don't remember it at all.
That sounds more like what happens on the hypnotics (Ambien, etc.); sleep-walking, sleep-talking, sleep-driving, sleep-eating, sleep-sex... I've never experienced anything like that or, really, any "memory loss," but I know I felt a little sharper the times I got off them; a little more "ambitious." It's just that I can't sleep. OTC doxylamine worked for a while, but not for long. I might try hydroxyzine next (not Schedule II). Always looking...………..

Old 06-23-2020, 07:12 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Quote:

How frightening to experience. My greatest fear was experiences like that, which is why I've been careful with benzos and alcohol. Glad everything worked out.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:53 PM

33 posts, read 32,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh, I don't think so. Not everything. You've tried everything under the sun, that must mean Inositol too. Ok

Here at almost 82 and I thought I tried everything for my issues and I'm still finding and trying new things for my major issue.
With all due respect, you don’t know me or what I’ve taken or not taken. We’re just strangers on a message board. Please don’t make assumptions.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:45 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
How frightening to experience. My greatest fear was experiences like that, which is why I've been careful with benzos and alcohol. Glad everything worked out.
It was really freaky knowing I got my 4 dogs in the car, drove to the vets and don't remember it at all. It makes me wonder what else I've forgotten. Even before that my kids would tell me I kept repeating myself but I never remembered telling them whatever I said the first time. I thought they were kidding.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:49 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,151,890 times
Quote:
It was really freaky knowing I got my 4 dogs in the car, drove to the vets and don't remember it at all. It makes me wonder what else I've forgotten. Even before that my kids would tell me I kept repeating myself but I never remembered telling them whatever I said the first time. I thought they were kidding.

I had a relative who was a blackout alcoholic so I grew up knowing people can have lapses in memory and awareness from ingesting chemical substances.

& When Ambien went on the market a LOT of people reported the sleepwalking and memory lapses right away. I can only imagine how distressing it must be to end up driving somewhere or doing day to day mundane tasks while blanked out on Ambien- and then being informed later of hours not remembered. Yikes...

Old 06-24-2020, 08:56 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
& When Ambien went on the market a LOT of people reported the sleepwalking and memory lapses right away. I can only imagine how distressing it must be to end up driving somewhere or doing day to day mundane tasks while blanked out on Ambien- and then being informed later of hours not remembered. Yikes...
That's why when my shrink prescribed Ambien for me I refused to take it.

He also prescribed Zoloft and Lexapro (not at the same time). I refused to take those, too.

He dropped me as a patient. Fine by me.

I found non-drug ways of treating my insomnia. I've learned to deal with my anxiety and panic attacks.

I'm not against medication. I'm on a few necessary meds. But I didn't want to take anything that I'd have to be weaned off if I wanted to quit.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:02 AM

Can you share what finally worked for your insomnia?

Old 06-25-2020, 09:06 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Can you share what finally worked for your insomnia?
You probably won't take it seriously -- most people don't seem to. But I was really motivated to find a non-drug solution and being quarantined gave me a LOT of free time.

My therapist (not the shrink) recommended guided meditation. I had no idea what that was but I had nothing to lose by trying it. It helped that she recommended the practitioners she found helpful.

I find that it's all about the voice. Certain people have soothing low-key voices that help relax me. I lay on my bed and clear my mind for what's to come.

Hannah Leatherbury is excellent. I always fall asleep before this practice ends.

https://insighttimer.com/hannahleath...o-plant-a-seed

I also like Stephan Pende Wormland.

https://insighttimer.com/stephanpend...te-body-scan-2

There are other practitioners who have helpful meditations for anxiety and panic attacks. I found these very useful. My panic attacks have all but vanished.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:11 AM

I don't have anxiety or panic attacks; my mind just doesn't "switch off" when it's time for bed. Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness