Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 01:38 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Right, eyewear can't do anything but HELP since it's covering our eyes, which is another orifice of our bodies. It's like would we want to walk around w/ our mouths open? Definitely not, so we should cover our eyes as well.

I have 20+ pairs of sunglasses, so I ALWAYS wear them when I'm out these days, especially the large-framed ones. It's not about whether it's sunny anymore. It's for protection!
Wow, a few more pairs and you will be able to match them to your underwear.

Do you wear sunglasses indoors, in shops? Indoors is where you are most likely to encounter the virus and where you might actually want eye protection, but seems like it would be hard to see well inside with sunglasses on.

I wear sunglasses for glare when driving or walking outside on sunny days (most days here are sunny), and for protection when mountain biking. I wouldn't wear them outside on cloudy, gloomy days because there wouldn't be any point. I don't wear a mask outdoors either. I suppose I would if I were on crowded city sidewalks, but we don't have those where I live.

I have one pair of sunglasses.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
OK as we are discussing masks, shields, etc here is something for us all to put into our brains and see if we can make heads or tails out of it: our daughter and sil just got back from 5 days in Vegas. Vegas has the strictest rules on masks of anyplace I have heard. Even out by the pool you have to keep your mask on when you are eating or drinking. Of course you slip it up or down to take a bite, but that is it. You can not even sit at a bar and visit with anyone because of social distancing and mask wearing. Well guess what they were both tested today, after not feeling well and both have COVID. Does it make any of us wonder what good masks and social distancing are really doing? I am in a state of shock. Of course now hubby and I, who spent some time with daughter on Sunday have to quarentine for 10 days since we saw her, meaning from last Sunday until next Wednesday.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:32 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OK as we are discussing masks, shields, etc here is something for us all to put into our brains and see if we can make heads or tails out of it: our daughter and sil just got back from 5 days in Vegas. Vegas has the strictest rules on masks of anyplace I have heard. Even out by the pool you have to keep your mask on when you are eating or drinking. Of course you slip it up or down to take a bite, but that is it. You can not even sit at a bar and visit with anyone because of social distancing and mask wearing. Well guess what they were both tested today, after not feeling well and both have COVID. Does it make any of us wonder what good masks and social distancing are really doing? I am in a state of shock. Of course now hubby and I, who spent some time with daughter on Sunday have to quarentine for 10 days since we saw her, meaning from last Sunday until next Wednesday.

Vacationing in Vegas during a pandemic shows extreeeemly poor judgement. Nobody ever said masks are perfect protection, and you can't protect some people from themselves.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:36 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Isn't that a bit above and beyond? That is like saying why are we not required to stay in our house 24/7 except for doctors appointments or some emergency?

Rather than put more restrictions on us, how about relaxing things and let the COVID run its course?

Covid-19 has shown it is not like the common seasonal flu. We don't know if it will "run it's course" but we can't just sit back and let it spread when we don't know if covid will actually die out. It is a complete unknown.With something unknown like this we just have to use methods that have worked before in outbreak situations and measure it's effectiveness as we go along, fighting.

Does anyone remember the Spanish flu? 1918. How many people succumbed to a virus no one had ever seen before? Est. 50-100 million. We all have relatives who died from it.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:26 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Wow, a few more pairs and you will be able to match them to your underwear.

Do you wear sunglasses indoors, in shops? Indoors is where you are most likely to encounter the virus and where you might actually want eye protection, but seems like it would be hard to see well inside with sunglasses on.

I wear sunglasses for glare when driving or walking outside on sunny days (most days here are sunny), and for protection when mountain biking. I wouldn't wear them outside on cloudy, gloomy days because there wouldn't be any point. I don't wear a mask outdoors either. I suppose I would if I were on crowded city sidewalks, but we don't have those where I live.

I have one pair of sunglasses.
Ha, yep, I sure do wear sunglasses indoors...didn't that much before COVID, but I have these last 7 mos & I get used to the darkness indoors & can still see well enough. I kind of like having my whole face covered...don't have to wear makeup anymore, ha!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Vacationing in Vegas during a pandemic shows extreeeemly poor judgement. Nobody ever said masks are perfect protection, and you can't protect some people from themselves.

I totally agree w/ Deserterer. I'm not surprised they caught COVID. I wouldn't be going to Vegas nowadays if you paid me! You have to use common sense too. We can't just go to known-crowded places just because. We have to THINK & be safe. They need to be strict because it's still a crowded, touristy destination. I don't care how strict they are INSIDE the establishments, everyone walking around OUTSIDE are still passing by each other just as closely as BEFORE COVID, many or most w/o masks, groups standing all around, etc. & there's still just way too many people as in one of many very recent videos (& this is around midnight, btw):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlLDysDhCnQ

Doesn't look at all safe to me...way, way too many people! It only takes a second to catch COVID...being a little too close to someone & there's PLENTY of chances of that in Vegas.

I'm the type of person who will walk way around someone OR change directions when I'm walking at the PARK (& that's OUTDOORS) & I only go to the grocery stores at opening time on M, T, W, or Th only in the last 15-20 minutes of the senior shopping hour WITH my mask, face, shield, & big sunglasses. My Mom & I haven't had any visitors nor did we visit anyone, except 1x for my Mom's August b-day, I just swung by briefly in which we stayed outside w/ masks on at a distance.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 10-20-2020 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-20-2020, 04:26 PM

588 posts, read 321,432 times
It is ok by me. I have face shields. I know I will be mocked by people. I save it if I go to the dentist, get on a flight, get a hair service. So far I have refrained. I would run out if I used it on mass transit, and it would feel cumbersome. I do wear big glasses and sent for some goggles but they don’t really fit over my glasses. I think air filtration, purification, ventilation standards/mandates plus widespread testing (req before flights)and more accurate, fast tests would make me feel we were actually addressing the main transmission routes, than this temp check, surface cleaning, 6 ft distancing— that few seem willing to do.

Last edited by Ghobi; 10-20-2020 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-20-2020, 04:32 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
There is nothing shocking about somone getting COVID by going to Vegas. No one could pay me enough to go to Las Vegas at this time. From what I've been reading, it's just about wide open as far as rules go. Oh, here's one tidbit I just found:

The new directive adjusts previous the limitation on gatherings from 50 people to 250 people or 50 percent of occupancy, whichever is less.

https://www.lasvegasnevada.gov/News/...a-virus-update

They allow TWO HUNDRED and FIFTY people in one room! By comparison, Connecticut (where numbers are just starting to go up again) has recently opened up into another phase that now allows 100 people in one room. If cases rise, the municipality can return to the more strict previous phase. I don't think places like bars are open at all. Restaurants have been for take out but for a while now people have been able to sit inside if 6 feet apart.

Vegas is the absolute LAST place I can think of to go because we're in the middle of a pandemic and they barely even have any rules. It's supposed to be about masks, social distancing, hand washing, and that will help as long as you stay in places that have sensible rules, places that are as safe as we can get.

CT's rate jumped to 3% positive today, the highest it's been since June. Everyone wears a mask and people are good about following the other rules but people are still catching COVID because people with COVID are walking around, they come from out of state, and it's impossible to stay 100% perfect. I think the positivity rate for the state of Nevada is around 8.4 so it's definitely not a very safe place to go. You can take the simple precautions that are all we have at the moment, but if you walk into a hotspot with lax rules, you should probably expect to get COVID.

Old 10-20-2020, 04:39 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
1. Face shields are required here in the hospitals + masks.
2. It can't be just any glasses. It has to be sealed frame. Akin to divers glasses.

3. It came upon me few days ago. Anything porous transfers virus. What about clothes? If paper does, why not shirts and pants and all that? I think, full coveralls with hoods have to be implemented. We do have those here at our hospital. We jokingly call it Bunnies Suite. Gloves, of course.

Old 10-20-2020, 05:37 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Isn't that a bit above and beyond? That is like saying why are we not required to stay in our house 24/7 except for doctors appointments or some emergency?

Rather than put more restrictions on us, how about relaxing things and let the COVID run its course?
I agree

Old 10-20-2020, 06:36 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Wow, lolz.

You can see 4-5 people not wearing their masks within the first 15 seconds after he enters the Flamingo (4:45), and one woman on the left side is groping her lowered mask right in the middle where she shouldn't be touching it at all...and that's all I watched

Yeah, Vegas during a pandemic. Just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.