Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 12:59 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It seems these type Appts are showing signs of being forced on us now. I know I have been noticing it when I'd call for Primary Care Appts.

Personally I don't want them and have told the doctors offices so. I thought I would then try the VA. I was going to see the VA to see about getting my insulin there. I was told I would only be seen by Telehealth after the initial appt. Then I was told I would not get insulin pens, I would get the vials. I can't imagine anyone using vials in this day and age. I declined the healthcare at the VA. This was at a VA Clinic in Florida.

So now I'm back with another doctor not at the VA, who for now will not force these computer appts after the initial appt.

My problems with Telehealth is this. The first should be common sense especially with the elderly.

Some don't have access to internet in their home. It
's a bill many can't afford. That and the cost of computers. Has anyone ever heard of fixed income seniors. Plus they won't know how to set up the visit. Not everyone has help for such things.

How is an exam conducted in a computer. Blood Pressure, vital signs etc etc. The doctor can't touch you on these type Appts.

So what are your views on this type of appt? My view is I want to be seen in person. I have a computer but it is not to be used for an exam by a doctor. Really are we suppose to undress and sit in front of a computer?

We prefer them. I don't want to be surrounded by potential COVID positive people. The only Drs we actually see are our dermatologist, urologist and MrsM's gyno (kinda hard to do those by telehealth )

1) You don't need a computer
2) A smart phone will do
3) No smart phone, a regular phone call will work

We take our own BP, pulse-ox and heart rate with store bought monitors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 01:35 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Thanks for all the comments. How are these type visits billed. I don't see how this type of appt, could have the same cost of an in person appt.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:31 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. How are these type visits billed. I don't see how this type of appt, could have the same cost of an in person appt.
Every provider I've done telemed with, except one, has coded correctly for Medicare and my share is generally $22-$25.

Telemed is the way of the future. Buy a BP monitor, make sure you have a thermometer and a scale that's accurate. You can get a fingertip pulse oximeter on Amazon for less than $20.

I would so much rather be safe at home than go into a medical facility.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:32 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
We have zero co-pay for telehealth

Old 12-01-2020, 08:59 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
It seems these type Appts are showing signs of being forced on us now. I know I have been noticing it when I'd call for Primary Care Appts.

Personally I don't want them and have told the doctors offices so. I thought I would then try the VA. I was going to see the VA to see about getting my insulin there. I was told I would only be seen by Telehealth after the initial appt. Then I was told I would not get insulin pens, I would get the vials. I can't imagine anyone using vials in this day and age. I declined the healthcare at the VA. This was at a VA Clinic in Florida.

So now I'm back with another doctor not at the VA, who for now will not force these computer appts after the initial appt.

My problems with Telehealth is this. The first should be common sense especially with the elderly.

's a bill many can't afford. That and the cost of computers. Has anyone ever heard of fixed income seniors. Plus they won't know how to set up the visit. Not everyone has help for such things.

How is an exam conducted in a computer. Blood Pressure, vital signs etc etc. The doctor can't touch you on these type Appts.

So what are your views on this type of appt? My view is I want to be seen in person. I have a computer but it is not to be used for an exam by a doctor. Really are we suppose to undress and sit in front of a computer?
I think they're bogus -- you're correct that you can't conduct any kind of legitimate exam and also correct that MANY elders don't have the capacity for computer tricks -- but they're probably here to stay because they're quick, easy, and lucrative. Yet another unfortunate consequence of this year...

Old 12-01-2020, 12:30 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think they're bogus -- you're correct that you can't conduct any kind of legitimate exam and also correct that MANY elders don't have the capacity for computer tricks -- but they're probably here to stay because they're quick, easy, and lucrative. Yet another unfortunate consequence of this year...

If you want to hang out in waiting rooms full of sick people, knock yourself out.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If you want to hang out in waiting rooms full of sick people, knock yourself out.
Thanks!

Old 12-01-2020, 01:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:

If someone doesn't have a computer or the internet, all they have to do is tell the doctor's office and it will be a phone call instead. It's not a big deal.

You don't have an exam over the computer or phone. They don't need all of that info every appointment. No you don't undress in front of a computer. Are you for real?

You sit there in your clothes and have a conversation. The same as you do in their office. These things aren't a big deal. If you have diabetes, the last place you need to be is in a doctor's office that has a ton of sick people! The doctor's office is actually protecting YOU from a number illnesses by keeping you away.

Old 12-01-2020, 01:25 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Since I was a child, I've wondered why we wait in a room full of sick people to see a doctor.

Old 12-01-2020, 04:30 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
If someone doesn't have a computer or the internet, all they have to do is tell the doctor's office and it will be a phone call instead. It's not a big deal.

You don't have an exam over the computer or phone. They don't need all of that info every appointment. No you don't undress in front of a computer. Are you for real?

You sit there in your clothes and have a conversation. The same as you do in their office. These things aren't a big deal. If you have diabetes, the last place you need to be is in a doctor's office that has a ton of sick people! The doctor's office is actually protecting YOU from a number illnesses by keeping you away.
I didn't invent Telehealth, and I have no way of knowing what they do in these ridiculous appt. It is brand new to most of us. Quite frankly I don't see how a doctor examines someone with a hernia without their clothes off. Because it can't be done with clothes on. So these type Appts can't be for every type of reason people see a doctor . Yet that's exactly what at least some doctors are trying to do. Telehealth Appt or go to an ER. Have a nice Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness