Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 06:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I didn't invent Telehealth, and I have no way of knowing what they do in these ridiculous appt. It is brand new to most of us. Quite frankly I don't see how a doctor examines someone with a hernia without their clothes off. Because it can't be done with clothes on. So these type Appts can't be for every type of reason people see a doctor . Yet that's exactly what at least some doctors are trying to do. Telehealth Appt or go to an ER. Have a nice Day.
Like I said, they won't examine you. You have a conversation with them. You haven't even had one of these appointments and you're all upset over it. Why not ask your doctor's office how they handle these appointments. You were talking about needing insulin not about a hernia. I've had a hernia for decades and you can't examine it with my clothes on or off. I need an endoscope to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 09:52 PM

89 posts, read 148,866 times
I go to the VA and I'm still waiting for my virtual colonoscopy! Just kidding. They set up phone calls and rely on you being truthful in telling them how you feel. I agree that a BP cuff and scale are important to have especially if you have high blood pressure or weight problems. I am a prostate cancer survivor and I am on my 4th urologist. The first one (the best) just left...disappeared with no mention. The second and third retired within months of each other and the one I got now I've never met and believes in annual blood test for PSA. I'm considering using Medicare instead. This Montgomery VA is crap!

Old 12-02-2020, 12:43 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
I didn't invent Telehealth, and I have no way of knowing what they do in these ridiculous appt. It is brand new to most of us. Quite frankly I don't see how a doctor examines someone with a hernia without their clothes off. Because it can't be done with clothes on. So these type Appts can't be for every type of reason people see a doctor . Yet that's exactly what at least some doctors are trying to do. Telehealth Appt or go to an ER. Have a nice Day.
My old neighbor had a hernia he used to hold in with binders. It strangled his intestines a few years ago. It was a painful death from what I was told by his niece. I don't know how the doctors missed his hernia grew when he had just gotten discharged after heart surgery

Old 12-02-2020, 03:05 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,485,389 times
They were using telehealth appointments instead of real prenatal care. My step-sister died as a result. She was 27 years old. Had she had real prenatal care then she'd likely be still alive today.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:57 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
They're fine when all you need are refills and such. Everyone over the age of 45 or with chronic conditions should be getting a physical checkup at least annually, or twice per year if they're elderly or been hospitalized in recent years.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:54 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
As for "waiting with sick people," it's certainly possible to have each patient wait alone outside in his/her car for a call or text rather than together in the waiting room, and naturally the staff would be wearing N95 masks. If you're smart, you will be, too (it's still possible to find them; I got a box of five at Lowe's for $20, and they are NOISH certified authentic). I also have ALWAYS requested the first appointment of the day to avoid any accumulated germs in the area. Where there's a will, there's a way! But this makes it so easy for physicians, I doubt there will ever be the will for in-person appointments again...

Old 12-02-2020, 11:26 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As for "waiting with sick people," it's certainly possible to have each patient wait alone outside in his/her car for a call or text rather than together in the waiting room, and naturally the staff would be wearing N95 masks. If you're smart, you will be, too (it's still possible to find them; I got a box of five at Lowe's for $20, and they are NOISH certified authentic). I also have ALWAYS requested the first appointment of the day to avoid any accumulated germs in the area. Where there's a will, there's a way! But this makes it so easy for physicians, I doubt there will ever be the will for in-person appointments again...
Not everyone has a car. What about those who don't have one?

Around here they require everyone to wait in the car, and if you don't have one then there's nowhere to even wait for you. They have no seats for people to sit down. So, now winter is coming and you're going to have people standing around in random spots in the cold air for hours waiting to be seen?

Only those who are better off are going to be getting medical care. Those too poor or too ill to have a car will go without treatment. The Medicaid taxi just dumps you off at the appointment site and you have to call to let them know you're finished and it can take hours for them to come back and get you. How are people going to handle being outside for several hours in winter weather? You're not even allowed in some places to go inside to use the restroom.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:45 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. How are these type visits billed. I don't see how this type of appt, could have the same cost of an in person appt.

About 15 minutes before my appointment time, someone from the office called to get my credit card number for the copay. I'm pretty sure the cost of the appointment was the same as usual.

I signed in to zoom, then waited around for a while, just like at the office. After a while the doctor showed up.

How are you doing?
I'm doing well.
Then I said I was skipping the blood test this year.
He asked a couple questions then renewed my thyroid prescription for another year.

End of appointment.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:55 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
About 15 minutes before my appointment time, someone from the office called to get my credit card number for the copay. I'm pretty sure the cost of the appointment was the same as usual.

I signed in to zoom, then waited around for a while, just like at the office. After a while the doctor showed up.

How are you doing?
I'm doing well.
Then I said I was skipping the blood test this year.
He asked a couple questions then renewed my thyroid prescription for another year.

End of appointment.
And, yes, that five-minute "quickie" costs as much as any other appointment. Sweet deal for the doctors!

Old 12-10-2020, 07:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And, yes, that five-minute "quickie" costs as much as any other appointment. Sweet deal for the doctors!
I think your copay is the same, but I am not sure the doctor gets paid the same. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem like the insurance distinguishes how much you have to pay for telemedicine. For my last allergy visit, I had to do two copays because I still needed to come in to the office for diagnostic testing anyway. I was not entirely opposed as it was pulmonary function testing and I know you can get COVID-19, not really know it, and still have decreased pulmonary function, but it is annoying to have to be charged 2x.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness