Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 03:00 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times

Advertisements

I wish I could get telemed! I need a prescription filled but because she hasn't seen me in 2 years she is insisting on a face to face, which unfortunately she can't do until March!! In the last 2 years I have been busy with 2 major surgeries, the first one having recovery complications that included 3 hernias which caused the 2nd surgery. All of which she has gotten all the reports on the huge number of tests I have had and has access to my hospital records. But no that isn't good enough. I did telemed follow-up with the surgeon who ripped me apart and put me back together (2nd surgery), but a stupid yearly visit she insists on dragging me in......and she refuses to renew my prescription that I have been taking for close to 25 years unless I do go in no matter that I'm going to run out of it 1.5 months before my appointment!!! I think it's time for me to move on to someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 05:00 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
...So what are your views on this type of appt? My view is I want to be seen in person. I have a computer but it is not to be used for an exam by a doctor. Really are we suppose to undress and sit in front of a computer?

I know there will always be certain people who don't like remote dr appts, but I personally LOVE them if I can do them. I did have to call a couple of my doctors during these last 8 mos & neither of them initiated that I could possibly do the appt remotely/via phone. I had to bring it up BOTH times & then they said sure.

I did have 1 pulmonology appt via phone & that went well. I dont' really care for webcams, but I'll do a PHONE appt if I can get away w/ it. Of course if there's something I'll have to show the dr, I'll do the webcam...anything to prevent going in person as much as possible.

But, it seems that to go in-person for ANY kind of dr. appt, they want to give you a COVID test & myself, my mom, nor my fiance' want that at all.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:04 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I wish I could get telemed! I need a prescription filled but because she hasn't seen me in 2 years she is insisting on a face to face, which unfortunately she can't do until March!! In the last 2 years I have been busy with 2 major surgeries, the first one having recovery complications that included 3 hernias which caused the 2nd surgery. All of which she has gotten all the reports on the huge number of tests I have had and has access to my hospital records. But no that isn't good enough. I did telemed follow-up with the surgeon who ripped me apart and put me back together (2nd surgery), but a stupid yearly visit she insists on dragging me in......and she refuses to renew my prescription that I have been taking for close to 25 years unless I do go in no matter that I'm going to run out of it 1.5 months before my appointment!!! I think it's time for me to move on to someone else.
Absolutely. Your physician is being unreasonable. Perhaps your surgeon would prescribe for you. Or you might try the telemed doctors like PlushCare or MD Live.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:55 PM

377 posts, read 382,506 times
Telemedicine is mostly BS. It's excellent for psychiatric visits.

What telemedicine leads to is a bunch of unnecessary nonsense.

Example -- all these gadgets now measure your heart rate, rhythm, BP, etc

So if one number is even slightly off, that triggers a telemed visit and costs $30. In the old days it would cost nothing because one random elevated heart rate doesn't mean anything.

Another example -- in the old days if you had a cold you would just wait it out for a few days because it's a hassle to go to the doctor's office. But now at the very first sign of a slight runny nose, a bunch of hypochondriacs are now demanding a telemed visit so a doctor can give them antibiotics that they don't need in the first place.

So let's take a typical patient who might go to the doctor twice a year for a sick visit. Cost = $100 per visit, total = $200

Well now with telemedicine he can get access to a doctor 24/7. That means 20 visits at $30 per visit = total $600. It also means he gets 10 unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions which cost a lot, and those antibiotics also increase bacterial resistance to drugs, and also he's not any healthier than last year when he only saw the doctor two times.

There's a reason why most insurance companies are hesitant about telemed and had to be forced into it by the government. They know that even though it's chepaer than a doctor's visit, it will cause utilization to skyrocket, thus increasing total costs.

That $30 sounds like a good deal compared to a doctor's office visit, but all those $30 visits get real expensive in a hurry.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:35 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
How have you had enough meds to take during the last almost 2 years without seeing her? Had she been calling refills in as a favor?

My GP only gives me 6 months of meds at a shot, so I have to see her every 6 months unless I can catch her on a portal message but it's usually not her reading it, they make me go in or have telemed.

I can't believe your doctor is booked until March. Did you ask to be put on the call out list?

As for finding someone else. The grass may not be greener as my hub found out. He tried a new GP, after about 4 months has had it. I don't know if he's going back to where I go. I'm very happy there. He got mad the GP he saw left. I guess I can share one of the new doctors I've seen there with him. He won't see my main GP, she's very hard to get into unless you know when to call like a Saturday 1st thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness