Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 12:10 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I got my results from my physical back and my ALP (84) was normal, AST (49) and ALT (76) elevated. The doc said it's only mildly elevated so no immediate cause for concern but that I am heading in the wrong direction and should introspect my habits.

I usually drink moderately (2-3 drinks/day) but this super difficult year I have had a fair bit of excessive drinking sessions (5-6 drinks per occasion) and 6-7 days before the lab test I had been on vacation and drank my heart out - 10 drinks a day probably (beer/cocktails etc.) - had a good time, obviously this has now shown up on the report It's not just me but I hear this from friends as well.

Now, i'm planning to cut down my consumption to 2 drinks on Fri and 2 on Sat. - reverting to what I used to do. Given my readings above what is the recommended path going forward - just cut out drinking completely or cut down consumption to something more reasonable like I mentioned? For the record my last physical in 2019 had normal readings.
Moderate drinking based on CDC guidelines is 1 drink/day for women, and 2 drinks/day for men.

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-she...e-drinking.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 01:08 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Alcohol consumption isn't the only thing that can elevate liver enzymes.
Is your diet high in fat content ?
Are you sedentary/overweight ?
Smoker ?
On other meds ?
high in fat, possibly, I love food and I eat out 3-4 times a week. But I do try to eat healthy at home...sometimes at least

sedentary - used to be extremely active, 3 times a week to the gym, 5 mile hikes on the weekends. No extra weight. However since the gyms closed I have been not gone, also gained about 20 lbs during the year due to much reduced physical activity.

Smoker - never

No meds

From observation I have found I drink far less than many around me and those people "claim" to be in perfect health.. either they are ignorant, lying or have super genes. My best friend's GF drinks a bottle of wine a day. The women in the hiking group that I was part of earlier drank wine like it was water. And many of them are in their 50s and 60s.

I do think that when people drink a lot and claim that they are ok it leads to misinformation and gives a green light to others to do the same.

interesting video I found (interesting concept - Wine O'Clock ):

Old 12-20-2020, 04:04 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Alcohol solves no problems, but it creates many. And contrary to the old Budweiser ad, it doesn't make you smarter either.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:15 PM

648 posts, read 431,556 times
Compare your numbers to a 65 yo that does not drink. On average your numbers are 5 times higher.

ALP 51

AST 10

ALT 11

Old 12-20-2020, 05:19 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

It sounds like for your health you should probably just stop drinking for awhile and if and when you go back to it, you go back to what you used to drink.
Returning to what was drunk before it raised health issues will not probably be a good choice. The effects are cumulative and what was being drunk before actually progressed to the point of health warnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Moderate drinking based on CDC guidelines is 1 drink/day for women, and 2 drinks/day for men.

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-she...e-drinking.htm
Remember that is a generality and does not apply to all men or women the same. Much depends on genetics, other health issues and alcohol-related issues. People who find their consumption tends to creep and continue to drink are more at risk than others. That is a hallmark of an addiction forming.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:22 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,709,719 times
I watched this recently: https://www.netflix.com/title/80185861

It appears there is a link between alcohol consumption and the amount consumed per day/week etc does matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Truth_About_Alcohol

I started collecting wine forty-five years ago when I was old enough to purchase it legally (21). I used to drink with my wife and friends on a regular basis. Over time, many of our relationships deteriorated and fell apart. A few years ago, I divorced my wife after 27 years of tolerating her verbal abuse and physically aggressive behavior when she had "one too many".

Alcohol has taken a toll on the health and relationships of many people I know. I encourage everyone to drink in moderation or not at all.

Last edited by movin1; 12-20-2020 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-21-2020, 06:48 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,267,262 times
Alcohol killed my Ex- he died at age 64, far from family and living off social programs. DS, our only child, doesn't drink at all except for occasionally sampling a wine I'm drinking and using it in cooking. DDIL just doesn't like the taste. They're cheap dates- bar bill is only what I consume and I have a designated driver!

I'm pretty rigid about my consumption. I just decided I like alcohol and never want to have a doc tell me "you've got to stop drinking or it will kill you". I have 2 oz. of scotch every night. I measure it. Some experts describe one drink as 2 oz. not 1.5 so maybe I'm cheating a bit. If I'm feeling indulgent, I pour myself the more expensive scotch- same quantity. I'm more relaxed on vacation but that's maybe twice a year (less often now). My body keeps me honest- if I do much more than that I wake up in the middle of the night with bizarre dreams and a pounding headache.

OP- talk to your doc. What's healthy for you going forward may be less than what's OK for the general population- especially if your interpretation of "a drink" is more liberal than the aobve.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:51 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
I’m amazed at how many drinkers must NOT suffer from RLS; restless leg syndrome. Alcohol is one of the main triggers of this condition (along with caffeine and chocolate, *sob*!)

Old 12-21-2020, 06:57 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Alcohol killed my Ex- he died at age 64, far from family and living off social programs. DS, our only child, doesn't drink at all except for occasionally sampling a wine I'm drinking and using it in cooking. DDIL just doesn't like the taste. They're cheap dates- bar bill is only what I consume and I have a designated driver!

I'm pretty rigid about my consumption. I just decided I like alcohol and never want to have a doc tell me "you've got to stop drinking or it will kill you". I have 2 oz. of scotch every night. I measure it. Some experts describe one drink as 2 oz. not 1.5 so maybe I'm cheating a bit. If I'm feeling indulgent, I pour myself the more expensive scotch- same quantity. I'm more relaxed on vacation but that's maybe twice a year (less often now). My body keeps me honest- if I do much more than that I wake up in the middle of the night with bizarre dreams and a pounding headache.

OP- talk to your doc. What's healthy for you going forward may be less than what's OK for the general population- especially if your interpretation of "a drink" is more liberal than the aobve.
Have some folks near and dear to me that have had their lives and the lives of those around them destroyed by alcoholism. Based on what you are saying here, feel assured you are not an alcoholic.

In many ways alcoholism is more destructive than an opiate addiction. Most people do not realize that while a heroin user can go cold turkey and experience withdrawal - while horrific it is not life threatening.

An alcoholic on the other hand can die if they stop drinking without a controlled detox with the use of barbiturates. This is why in detox centers, alcoholics always go to the top of the list ahead of opiate addicts.

Whether you call it a disease or an addiction it is a terrible fate for any human being.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Elevated liver enzymes may also indicate a fatty liver. The condition is called Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NALFD). The main cause is over consumption of refined carbohydrates and sugars, NOT fatty foods. That is common misconception.

As far as alcohol, the liver has a capacity to regenerate. It cannot do that if you drink every day. Once there is scarring present there is no turning back, that would then be cirrhosis.

There are several supplements that can help the liver. One is Milk Thistle, taken daily does help.

If you want to protect the liver to a degree, there is an amino acid called N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) and is very good for that. Take NAC one or more hours before drinking alcohol. I am not condoning excessive drinking but if you must, protect yourself. It is also said to help control obsessive behavior such as .. drinking too much. It's important to take BEFORE you drink and not after.

It has many other added benefits.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nac-benefits
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...l-cysteine-nac
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5241507/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness